Welcome to the Tigers - Daniel Rioli | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Welcome to the Tigers - Daniel Rioli

blx said:
coming up on the wireless shortly [knowing SEN it could be in 2 mins or an hour away] ::)

Fantastic interview, very excited that we got Dan!

Harry said:
My understanding is -
Daniels Fathers (Brad) Father (Sebastian) is Maurices brother
Daniels Father (Brad) in Deans brother
Cyrils Father (Cyril snr) is Maurices brother also

Maurice is Daniels grandfathers brother who can also be referred to as grandfather
Cyril is Daniels fathers first cousin who can also be referred to as uncle

apparently there are more Riolis coming - one aged 14 another 11.

The one the club will be all over is Maurice Jr, yes, the son, the DIRECT son, of the great man.
I can't be bothered digging through old posts but my rusty calculations have the boy at 12/13 right now.
Maurice Jr has visited Punt Rd, he is no mystery. He was mentioned by Dan R on the club podcast just a few weeks ago. I guess we have 3-4 years for a clearer picture to emerge.

Young Daniel spoke well. Very careful not to say anything stupid those flogs could use. Eg, Which Rioli are you most like? Too smart to take the bait.

evo said:
soft peddling by Scoop :(

It was such a crap shoot after pick 12 I can't blame the strategy. I am excited by the pick? I'm excited by what he could become. Very excited.

In such a ordinary draft, you may as well roll the draft and go for the all in pick and that's exactly what Rioli is. Skill set is there.

well this is great for RFC..He has the same balance, skills and touch of mercurial flare that we have needed for some time.

Lets hope he performs well..

Good luck to the lad..

A little worried like everyone else but my overall support for this pick is bellied by these variables.

- Daniel paid his dues with Ballarat Rebels. A town whose contrasting weather and culture could not be any further from the heat and lifestyle of the Top End!
- Shaun Grigg and Dan Butler also played at the Rebels. Its a small link I know but it's a common bond with some new team mates nonetheless.
- Our recruiters have so much info. They can compare every stat on every player in seconds. I'm confident they knew exactly what they were doing.
- I'm also confident he will learn a lot from Titch Edwards about Life and Football.
- Choc. Say no more.
and last of all - I read somewhere that all Rioli's played Grand Finals in their first year. Don't know if this is true but hey I'll take that!
- Love how its hard for opposition to knock him off his feet. Either takes a good knock or he does it intentionally as an evasive manouver.

He will be tackling guys twice his weight and more so will need time to build a frame but I'm genuinely excited with Daniel's addition to our list.

blx said:
A little worried like everyone else but my overall support for this pick is bellied by these variables.

- Choc. Its no coincidence our development has improved since he has come on board. An absolute gem who will no doubt work his magic on young Daniel.
- Has paid his dues with Ballarat Rebels. A town whose contrasting weather and culture could not be any further from the heat and lifestyle of the Top End!
-

The fact that he has lived in Ballarat and is already used to the climate as well as semi-big city living that resembles Melbourne suburbia is huge.

That's normally the first 12 months for the Top End boys. And that's exactly what Cyril did at Scotch as well. Same career path. Good article here on how it helped Cyril .

https://www.scotch.vic.edu.au/greatscot/2010mayGS/56.htm

Getting used to AFL life is hard enough, getting used to big city living in the same year is bloody hard. It's a huge advantage.

Tigers of Old said:
Butler and Short will be running just a bit harder today.

Interesting to rank our small fwd spot. Definitely a hotly contested position now.

Where does Rioli sit amongst the players we have who can play his position?

Edwards, Lloyd, Lambert, Butler, Short and even Lennon can all play his role.

Obviously Edwards would be better utilised elsewhere.

If Rioli or anyone else can secure that spot it free's Edwards to go up the ground.

BrisTiger24 said:
Anyone recall:

1) Cyril's dimensions when drafted

2) How long it took Cyril to play senior footy

Cyril played every game & in a premiership in his first year!

http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/pg-hawthorn-hawks--cyril-rioli?year=2008

Hawthorn-pair-Cyril-Rioli-and-Mark-Williams-parade-t-6272292.jpg

This from July 2007:
Cyril Rioli (Northern Territory)
Born: July 14, 1989
Height: 178cm
Weight: 74kg

Cyril is now apparently 80kgs so he's only put on 6kg since then.

I don't see this as a speculative pick
- Daniel was well advised early and has moved closer to Melbourne at a young age
- you cannot under-estimate the belief he will have from his pedigree
- Chocco will be invaluable in helping him establish early elite training and living habits
- has done enough already to show he has the talent and commitment to push himself so he has every chance to succeed at AFL.

He is what we need as a team - that x factor and speed we have missed.

Once Milera was gone (as expected) he is who I was hoping we would pick.

I can see Rioli and Lennon transforming our forward power over the next 2 year (and lets compare them to who they have replaced - Morris and Gordon / Lloyd / McDonough says it all)

BrisTiger24 said:
Anyone recall:

1) Cyril's dimensions when drafted

2) How long it took Cyril to play senior footy

Bris go have a look at Cyril's junior clips. All the tricks on show. How he wasn't No1 is mind boggling.

I've come around. He may not turn out to be Cyril or Maurice but very few do. Pace and skill, pace and skill.

SCOOP said:
The fact that he has lived in Ballarat and is already used to the climate as well as semi-big city living that resembles Melbourne suburbia is huge.

Melbourne will seem like Alice Springs after living in Ballarat, especially playing at North's homeground, the cold winds howl through there like you would not believe, its like the Waverley of Ballarat.