Welcome to the Tigers - Daniel Rioli | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Welcome to the Tigers - Daniel Rioli

If it's pick #4 & pick #10, yeah baby. #10 & #20, not that keen. Only thing I'd say is he's now 28yo. Do you cash in your tickets for the potential benefit of the future?
10 and 20? In a heart beat. 10 and Humphrey. Even better. This is smart business, trading at a players peak value, very unRichmond like. And it’s Daniel Rioli, not Maurice Snr.

• Dislike
Reactions: 4 users
10 and 20? In a heart beat. 10 and Humphrey. Even better. This is smart business, trading at a players peak value, very unRichmond like. And it’s Daniel Rioli, not Maurice Snr.
I agree. we need to speed up the rebuild. This year hit the draft hard as we are likely #1 - next year after Lynch is off the books with his huge salary, we can hit the trade market hard. If in 2025 we bring in a Prestia - Nankervis - Caddy type trades we can challenge in 2027 2028 2029

Just remembered it's a moving target. Atm GC have 7,8 ( from Bulldogs) and 20. If this were to go ahead we'd want GC and Bulldogs fall in a heap rest of season.

This is the club that gave up pick 2 for Lachie Weller and pick 7 just to get rid of Jack Bowes. If 8 & 20 are on the table now, we should be able to get an offer of 7&8.

Reactions: 4 users
This is the club that gave up pick 2 for Lachie Weller and pick 7 just to get rid of Jack Bowes. If 8 & 20 are on the table now, we should be able to get an offer of 7&8.

I think thats entirely plausible. I guess it comes down to where GC think they get the best value. As we know, the actual picks mean very little to the Suns, as they will be swallowed up with a Lombard bid regardless (unless they trade up to get ahead of the bid, but if they are going for Dan then that wouldn't be the scenario IMO).

So 8 and 20 are worth 2,463 points, so if thats the trade pick value they are setting then it gives us a starting point.

If we want 7 and 8 then those 2 are worth 3,195 points, so in order to "match" the value, we would need to give back a pick of about 732 points, so a pick around 26.

If 7 and 8 were on the table and Dan wanted to leave, I'd probably offer them our 2nd next year. They'll need more picks next year anyway as they have a lot more academy players next year, and it also frees us up to trade a lot of our later picks with Brisbane and Carlton so gives us heaps of flexibility around this years draft.

Reactions: 3 users

And they can pay Noah Baltas salary

• Love
Reactions: 1 user
Get 7&8 get 10 & 12, either way we bid on Lombard at our first pick to eff them completely.

• Love
Reactions: 1 users
If Rioli goes, I'd much rather get lukosious and North's end of first round. We still need some mature bodies. They won't be able to fit all their players in the cap either

Reactions: 1 user
Due to the continual massive injury rate, we've been playing heaps of immature kids this year. So many in fact that we simply don't have enough mature players to cover for the youngsters as they're learning, hence the *smile* show at the bottom of the ladder.
Not being a smart arse here TM but how do you define Immature kids.

I actually think we have had plenty of mature players play. The trouble they have not been able to fill the void of lost seniors.

The vast majority of what kids we have played are at least 22 and have been in the system for three to four years. Take Dow he is 23 this year and in his 5th season played all 14 games.
Ralphsmith turns 23 this year and is in his fourth year.
MRJ is 22 and in year four.
Coulthard is 23 he has played just one game.

Rather than go on i would say the majority of kids we have played are hardly immature or are being thrown to the wolves with no mature support around them.

Outside of Dow and Ralphsmith the most players i can find under 22 who have played in the same game is 5.
That leaves 18 mid tier to vets in most teams. It has been the quality here that has been the problem imo.

This year we have had 21 players play between 9 and the maximum 14 games. Only Brown 12 games, Campbell 13 games and Sonsie 10 games of that group are 21 or under.

Immature kids are i would say McAuliffe now 7 mostly limited games, Smith who got 5 minutes and Campbell who is still just 19 fall into that category.

I suppose what im saying is i think it could be folly for all of us to just blame injuries in conjunction with the idea that we are throwing babies to the wolves. Yes we are playing our share of younger players every week but most weeks they are still surrounded by plenty of experience. Its just that that experience is no where as good as those injured.

Imo most of our 22 and ups just have not been good enough. The mid tier for me anyway is a huge concern.

Reactions: 2 users
Immature in regard to senior match experience. Yep some of our blokes are in the 21 to 23 y.o. age bracket yet because we've constantly played our senior premiership winning stars at every opportunity there's a whole bunch of blokes that over a two to four year period have barely had the opportunity to get more than a game here or there to patch up an injury hole.
There's a vastly different level of speed and intensity at AFL compared to VFL, the young champs and bona fide stars make that transition fairly easily, the regulation good ordinary players need to get some continuity n brackets of games to develop up to senior maturity, usually around the fifty odd games under the belt.
Hence all those blokes, ( probably shouldn't have said kids ) started the season as very immature players and due to massive injury issues a whole bunch of them are expected to perform the roles of experienced senior players all year long.

P.S. When you're an old fart like me, pretty much anyone under 30 is still a kid.

10 and 20 will become approx 13 and 27-28 come draft night.

Still a reasonable offer but not as good as it first sounds.

I value Daniel Rioli’s superb leadership, what a wonderful player.

If GC gets silly, as in give us what we deserve for a Rioli in his prime?

Sure, I’d entertain that.

But if Freo is also silly for Bolton and WC for Baker then the AFL might de-register us for hoarding 20 of the top 30 picks.

Insane trade period inbound and I’m grabbing the popcorn.

triple premiership 27yo star bearing the Rioli name

its quite simply two top 10 picks, or GAGF, our Danny stays a tiger forever and has 6 sons

GCS would need to front up a huge cultural premium on top of the player.

RFC began the Rioli dynasty. thats nearly 50years of culture.

on top that,Danny would play 100 games for them and they get an option on sons (he got engaged last week, Danny Jr.s probably 8 3/4 months away)

These contrived *smile* want culture? sharpen your pencils mother *smile*

Dimma knows this.

throw the *smile* points table out the window.

its 2 picks inside the top 10,

and they so much as twitch an eyebrow, give em Noah Cumberland

Last edited:
Reactions: 8 users
BTW we all know Hardwick can exert influence over list managers

*cough* hopper and taranto

Reactions: 2 users
Lots of tough calls for Blair this year, given the state of our list. We desperately need as many good draft picks as we can get. Rioli would get us some good picks but it would be a big call to trade out one of the few quick players we have.

We are probably going to be bottom four for the next two years anyway so maybe we should take the offer if it's good enough.

But if the pick20 becomes a pick 27-28 it would because of Academy and F/S picks wouldn’t it?
So really the lads rated around that pick 20 would still be there, but just pushed down the order