Welcome to the Tigers - Daniel Rioli | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Welcome to the Tigers - Daniel Rioli

If Tassie-compromised drafts weren’t on the horizon I’d probably think twice.

And there’ll probably be some father-son/academy points value dilution from the AFL before then.

So the reality is, if we’re going to try to capitalize on draft value, this is the year to do it.

Reactions: 6 users
If we got offered two first rounders for Dan you would do it in a heartbeat. That's a big if.
Trouble is we don't have a lot of decent mid tier players and Dan should be a required commodity to help the many kids we are going to have on the list.

I do worry about our mid tier group you know the ones 24 or 25 thru say 29. Rioli's group.
This group are the ones who need to lead and drive the rebuild. Be around long enough to teach a good core group kids. Ask yourself who falls into this group and then ask two questions.
1/ Who is likely to remain.
2/ Who is going to step up and fill the void to a good enough level and get the kids to 80 odd games.

The writing is on the wall it has been for years. Most of the mid tier are incapable of stepping up apart from maybe a handful.
Its down to kids who are mostly taken with later picks so the likely success rate is low.Then its vets who are in drastic decline.

Anyone want to name that mid tier group of players who should be taking over?

How many PROVEN QUALITY kids do we have coming thru?

We cannot afford to keep on kidding ourselves. There is no quick fix and its time to try kids in front of a lot of those mid tier players who are not going to survive long term.

Just an opinion of where we are at. The longer we ignore the hard questions the longer the rebuild will take.
Due to the continual massive injury rate, we've been playing heaps of immature kids this year. So many in fact that we simply don't have enough mature players to cover for the youngsters as they're learning, hence the *smile* show at the bottom of the ladder.

Reactions: 2 users
If they really want him they'd be prepared to give up more than 2 firsts that could be pushed out due to academy selections and F/S.

We hold all the cards here.

Rioli can't say he wants to go to QLD because he's homesick and I believe his fiance is from NSW. So he wouldn't have an emotional/personal reason to break his contract.

Also don't think he'd leave Jnr behind, which adds to the intrigue.

Reactions: 1 users
If they really want him they'd be prepared to give up more than 2 firsts that could be pushed out due to academy selections and F/S.

We hold all the cards here.

Rioli can't say he wants to go to QLD because he's homesick and I believe his fiance is from NSW. So he wouldn't have an emotional/personal reason to break his contract.

Also don't think he'd leave Jnr behind, which adds to the intrigue.
And he’s also contracted which further muddies up the deal.

Ralph on the midweek tackle said
Gc will be prepared to off load 2 1st rounders for Rioli.

I'm calling bull5hit. No one is offering any draft picks in June. Must be a quiet news day.

Moreover, I hope Richmond come out publicly and curtain it early. Rebuild or not, we can't be giving away everyone. We're already going to be having a strong draft hand this year.

Reactions: 14 users
I'm calling bull5hit. No one is offering any draft picks in June. Must be a quiet news day.

Moreover, I hope Richmond come out publicly and curtain it early. Rebuild or not, we can't be giving away everyone. We're already going to be having a strong draft hand this year.
Pretty strange don't you think that camera's were at the airport the same day Rioli was leaving.

Rioli for Bailey Humphrey. GCS get the running half back they desperately need and we get a talented youngster that grow and develop with our rebuilding list.

Reactions: 1 users
It's only media talk - But not all first rounders are equal.

One of the picks could slide to late 20's.
Exactly. Its a mid first and a second.

Whether or not any deal happenst These pundits annoy me, 'TWO first rounders for Rioli! do it in a heartbeat!' This take overvalues the picks and undervalues Daniel.

Reactions: 5 users

Whether or not any deal happenst These pundits annoy me, 'TWO first rounders for Rioli! do it in a heartbeat!' This take overvalues the picks and undervalues Daniel.
It's all just noise n meedjia speculation, helps keep the fans engaged n churns clicks n money.
Sausage to Mold Coast could be a mid first n very late first or even two mid first rounders, Mold Coast have got them so why not speculate?
Just on the speculating what's the value of a half back flanker with dodgy feet who's turning 28 at the start of next year????
Even if his feet hold up, he's got what, perhaps 3 or 4 years of very good footy n maybe another 1 or 2 of fade away left in the tank at best n could be somewhat less. Old mate Fergie from Man U made an art form of selling off champions while they still had enough in the tank to get absolute premium value n had his team up n challenging for years n years.

Yeah its the media spin on it. Its more than likely that it would be a pick around 10 and a pick around 25 once all academy / f/s are taken care of, so not as attractive as they make out.

Reactions: 1 user
2 first rounders for a 28 year old sounds too good to be true, so it's probably not true.
GC have some great talent coming through their academy.
Probably feel they can throw a extra fist round pick on the table to get the deal done.

If it's pick #4 & pick #10, yeah baby. #10 & #20, not that keen. Only thing I'd say is he's now 28yo. Do you cash in your tickets for the potential benefit of the future?

GC have some great talent coming through their academy.
Probably feel they can throw a extra fist round pick on the table to get the deal done.
Problem is none of GCs talent want to hang around for too long. They're in a vicious circle which is why it's hard to see GC ever taking the big step.