Welcome to the Tigers - Daniel Rioli | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Welcome to the Tigers - Daniel Rioli

TT33 said:
All players go through a flat patch, Dan is having one at the moment, he'll be back dazzling us again very soon.
Hope your right TT , looks miles off atm, I was confident he’d really come on this year and spend a lot more time up the ground, worryingly all 3 of our Premiership small forwards have spent time in the VFL this year.

TT33 said:
All players go through a flat patch, Dan is having one at the moment, he'll be back dazzling us again very soon.

I hope so.
My sense is he put on a little too much weight this year in the hope he'd transcend to the midfield. After a couple of struggles early doors it just hasn't eventuated.
In the meantime he's lost a few of the traits that made him so exciting. Not by a lot but just enough to slow him down.
In all the games I've seen him in so far this season he's looked a yard slower & there's been less 2nd & 3rd efforts. Stats down across the board too. Less goals, tackles, possessions, pressure acts etc.
It's a bit of a concern for him & us I reckon because at his best he was clearly the small forward that we developed our trdemark forward pressure off. That's been missing this year. I keep waiting for it up front but it's not coming. Our forward pressure has dropped right off.
It's no coincidence... :-\

Tigers of Old said:
I hope so.
My sense is he put on a little too much weight this year in the hope he'd transcend to the midfield. After a couple of struggles early doors it just hasn't eventuated.
In the meantime he's lost a few of the traits that made him so exciting. Not by a lot but just enough to slow him down.
In all the games I've seen him in so far this season he's looked a yard slower & there's been less 2nd & 3rd efforts. Stats down across the board too. Less goals, tackles, possessions, pressure acts etc.
It's a bit of a concern for him & us I reckon because at his best he was clearly the small forward that we developed our trdemark forward pressure off. That's been missing this year. I keep waiting for it up front but it's not coming. Our forward pressure has dropped right off.

Hard to argue with all that. Rioli needs to go back to everything working from his defensive efforts.

Become the shark again. Hunt.

Tigers of Old said:
I hope so.
Would not be surprised if that broken ankle has resurfaced as part of the problem. He may have re-injured it, we don't know; may explain his lack of zip and evasive skills compared to 2017.

Mr Brightside said:
Hope your right TT , looks miles off atm, I was confident he’d really come on this year and spend a lot more time up the ground, worryingly all 3 of our Premiership small forwards have spent time in the VFL this year.

He’s been cursed by Fevola. Head is not in the game

No one even the miracle man Townsend will ever replicate the late 2017 form ever again.
Plan and simple. It was a one off, a Halley’s Comet moment.

Rioli looks like the opposition have caught up to him, not sure he was ‘butler’ quick in the first place. Confidence looks shot.
Those misses against Essendon he would’ve put them away in 17.
Usual situation. We cant keep all the smalls. Who will go? Butler & Bolton

zippadeee said:
No one even the miracle man Townsend will ever replicate the late 2017 form ever again.
Plan and simple. It was a one off, a Halley’s Comet moment.

Rioli looks like the opposition have caught up to him, not sure he was ‘butler’ quick in the first place. Confidence looks shot.
Those misses against Essendon he would’ve put them away in 17.
Usual situation. We cant keep all the smalls. Who will go? Butler & Bolton

Time stands still for nobody. Rioli needs to rediscover his form..

Butch67 said:
I think he concentrates on the defensive stuff too much and is losing his offensive flair

Seems to have lost his or some of his X factor with the footy,

Doesn’t look like he wants the footy when a shot on goal is on offer either , body language gives it away ,

Lacking confidence for some reason

TigerForce said:
That's why he played in Dreamtime and dropped the week after.
If he has cracked ribs then why play in the ressies? What's the point? Why not just take a break?

frawleyudud said:
If he has cracked ribs then why play in the ressies? What's the point? Why not just take a break?

Yep, playing VFL football with cracked ribs would be counter productive. That is not happening.

I recall that Kane Lambert suffered damaged ribs a few years ago and he struggled for many weeks afterwards to get back into form despite playing. Rib damage is a very tricky injury to fully recover from quickly and it can adversely affect a player's running stamina and confidence with physicality in contests. Having seen the VFL tigers play live yesterday, IMO Rioli needs at least another 2-3 games in the VFL to try to get his confidence and mojo back.