Welcome to Richmond Tyson Stengle | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Welcome to Richmond Tyson Stengle

I'm also saying Taz is on the money. Because Ty's a rookie, with our injury list we can't elevate him. Won't be a rookie next season, though. He's definitely senior list material.

thanks fellas.

sorry i doubted you taz

i guess I just didnt want to believe you ;D

Stengle has had three games in a row now in the best. He's something.

Spook's point is a great one.

Body/Athleticism/Role

171/71. Stengle is a handy turner when moving. He looks about Shorty's pace to me. About a 20m/3.0 for a benchmark. He's a midget without great speed but satisfactory. He can stall and step. And he does have one surprising and dominant athletic advantage and that is his strength. He is amazingly strong. (Similar examples of very strong players in small bodies are Sam Mitchell and Jarryd Blair but they are both quite a bit bigger than our man. Weightman was very strong.)

On top of this Stengle's football IQ and vision are very good.

We've got a lot of development to put into Stengle to get him where he might go and we have to expose him to greater challenge yet before he's ready for his ultimate role but when I see this athlete and the way he operates he reminds me of Daniel Kerr when that bloke played outside. And inside - when our man is dazzling a quartet of opponents while hemmed in by them and the boundary.

What we haven't seen yet is something we'd look for in a midfielder and that's big numbers. Lotsa gets. And Stengle has never generated them. Fly knows this. And so he steadily introduces Tyson Stengle to the ball and our youngster's numbers climb.

McRae is sending Stengle up the park to get into the game. It's been slow but the youngster is getting the hang of it. We're looking for increased numbers from Tyson. That's the big indicator at tis stage of his development.

He's still only eighteen. We can burn a candle for this kid. He is mature mentally and physically but if he keeps learning he can go on with it. A tank will make a big difference to him.

More leather --> level up.

CarnTheTiges said:
I'm also saying Taz is on the money. Because Ty's a rookie, with our injury list we can't elevate him. Won't be a rookie next season, though. He's definitely senior list material.

Is it possible to say Tyson, and not Ty? Still break out in a cold lather when I see Ty.

In the lead up to last year's finals Craig McRae said that he had never seen Tyson Stengle tackled. Not even at training. The spell was broken in the GF but yesterday Tyson Stengle levelled up again. He was used up the park and around the ground and didn't get enough of it. But what he proved is that he was easily the most glamourous inside mid on the oval.

And there was a moment when it looked like he was absolutely tackled. But he slipped it.

The two who stood out to me in the reserves praccy were Soldo and Stengle. Rael AFL stuff.

BTW Stengle bears pretty much zero resemblance to any other player on our list except perhaps Anthony Miles.

It's impossible to place this sluggish midget at AFL level. Is he Daniel Kerr or Phil Matera?

What I can tell you is he's some kind of champion.

167cm of terrifying.

Oh. He was almost tackled today. But he shook it and was paid a trip. Too good.

My biggest worry with Stengel has been genuine foot speed, looked to have quickened up his straight line speed yesterday.

Foot speed and ability to run out the game. Just 5 touches in the second half. But they're all quality.

For now we get more out of Wombat than Shai. Let's see what Turbo can do today.

Tony Braxton-Hicks said:
Foot speed and ability to run out the game. Just 5 touches in the second half. But they're all quality.

For now we get more out of Wombat than Shai. Let's see what Turbo can do today.
As the three amigos who play the same role in the seniors prove, it’s not how many times you get it , it’s what you do when you haven’t got it and what you do with the limited touches you get. Personally think Stengles is close to the best around goals at the club.

We will lose one or two of these small forwards this year I reckon. Other clubs will come calling for Bolton, Stengle, butler and Castagna in particular. We can’t play them all.

Jungle drums are already beating on Shai, freo very keen to replace Ballantyne

Sintiger said:
We will lose one or two of these small forwards this year I reckon. Other clubs will come calling for Bolton, Stengle, butler and Castagna in particular. We can’t play them all.

Jungle drums are already beating on Shai, freo very keen to replace Ballantyne
FWIW I think it’s a big chance he goes, good thing is Freo will pay a high price to land him as there’s no doubt West Coast are coming hard too. I just hope he has a big improving year this year.

I'd like to see him in soon. Untackleability is a tremendous quality for the way we play.

tigersnake said:
I'd like to see him in soon. Untackleability is a tremendous quality for the way we play.

His basic qualities of core strength, balance and smarts are easily transferable to the seniors I recon.