Walls is spot on. | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Walls is spot on.

ZeroGame said:
It's not about the height, it's about the quality
Port Adelaide's 2004 Premiership 22 (not the entire list) had 13 players listed as 183cm or shorter and 7 of those were 180cm or shorter

Peter Burgoyne 183cm
Kane Cornes 183cm
Stuart Dew 183cm
Adam Kingsley 183cm
Gavin Wanganeen 181cm
Michael Wilson 181cm
Damien Hardwick 180cm
Josh Mahoney 180cm
Brett Montgomery 180cm
Josh Carr 179cm
Byron Pickett 178cm
Jarrad Schofield 178cm
Roger James 177cm

Picket and Dew weighed more than 10 of our players put together.

All those except Wanganeen were always pretty solid guys.

Barnzy said:
Walls was spot on indeed, however how he portrayed it was dumb. He included players like Newman who are 183cm to try and sensationalize it, they aren't midgets. He should've just showed all the players under 180cm on our list or the players under 180cm who played on the weekend.

Players under 179cm (including rookies)

Tiges - 9
Haw- 8
Port- 8
Crows- 6
Cats- 5
Swans- 5
Saints- 5
North - 5
Coll - 5
Eagles - 5 (had 2 under 169)
Melb- 4
Dogs- 4
Ess- 4
Freo- 3
Carl - 2
Lions- 2

Players 179 or under who played on the weekend:

Cousins (179cm)
Nason (179cm)
King (178cm)
White (179cm)
Nahas (174cm)
Foley (178cm)

Also going up a cm or 2 -

Farmer (180cm)
Tambling (180cm) - would've played if not injured
Edwards (180cm)
Webberly (181cm)

Walls was spot on with this and with Cousins being finished.

People can't look at those figures and tell me there's not a problem. I was suprised we went after so many smalls in the rookie draft/ND like Nason, Webberly, Hicks, etc when we already had so many smalls/midgets. I also agree with Walls that we shouldn't target anyone under a specific height (184cm/185cm) for a year or 2 until the likes of White, King, Cousins, etc are all cleaned out unless they're very, very special or an absolute bargain. Facts are we have the smallest on average in the league.

You may hate him like me and yes he's still a tool but he had a valid point.

No point in repeating what you said so I'll just agree with the above. :fing32
Another point to bring up is their weight.
Way to skinny and get bumped off the ball too easy.

ZeroGame said:
Port Adelaide's 2004 Premiership 22 (not the entire list) had 13 players listed as 183cm or shorter and 7 of those were 180cm or shorter

Peter Burgoyne 183cm
Kane Cornes 183cm
Stuart Dew 183cm
Adam Kingsley 183cm
Gavin Wanganeen 181cm
Michael Wilson 181cm
Damien Hardwick 180cm
Josh Mahoney 180cm
Brett Montgomery 180cm
Josh Carr 179cm
Byron Pickett 178cm
Jarrad Schofield 178cm
Roger James 177cm

Do you have their playing weight as well?

Like to compare them to ours

ZeroGame said:
It's not about the height, it's about the quality.

Peter Burgoyne 183cm
Kane Cornes 183cm
Stuart Dew 183cm
Adam Kingsley 183cm
Gavin Wanganeen 181cm
Michael Wilson 181cm
Damien Hardwick 180cm
Josh Mahoney 180cm
Brett Montgomery 180cm
Josh Carr 179cm
Byron Pickett 178cm
Jarrad Schofield 178cm
Roger James 177cm

And if you don't have the "quality" then being a bunch a midgets is also a double-whammy impediment!!
::)

IT IS ABOUT THE HEIGHT...
Midgets don't get any bigger when the ball is kicked around.

se7en said:
Do you have their playing weight as well?

Like to compare them to ours

I don' t have their playing weight in 2004, but their listed weight and their age on the day

Peter Burgoyne 183cm 84kg 26y 240d
Kane Cornes 183cm 83kg 21y 264d
Stuart Dew 183cm 99kg 25y 38d (would have been under that at Port)
Adam Kingsley 183cm 83kg 29y 36d
Gavin Wanganeen 181cm 83kg 31y 99d
Michael Wilson 181cm 89kg 27y 309d
Damien Hardwick 180cm 82kg 32y 38d
Josh Mahoney 180cm 82kg 26y 330d
Brett Montgomery 180cm 83kg 31y 116d
Josh Carr 179cm 80kg 24y 149d
Byron Pickett 178cm 86kg 27y 45d
Jarrad Schofield 178cm 80kg 29y 239d
Roger James 177cm 89kg 28y 340d

So they were certainly heavier, but also far more mature, not something we can rush with our new recruits.

Spanish Prisoner said:
Maybe he is no longer a coach for the same reason as Leigh Matthews, Malcolm Blight and Tony Jewell - he is either too old now or doesn't want to do it. Premiership coaches deserve respect, and if you have achieved flags as both a player and a coach then you are ornament to the game.

Surely people on this site can stop being quite so feral for a minute and respect an individual that has achieved so much. You will always get the bogans who are simply feral - but decent people can show respect.

Comparing Walls and Matthews? :rofl Turn it up. Walls inherited a strong Carlton team. First season of coaching them, 20 wins and 4 losses. Just two years later he was walked out the door with Carlton 2 wins and 8 losses. Then his next 5 years at Brisbane, 30 wins and 78 losses. I think his subsequent efforts at coaching showed his true qualities. Take away his first two years and Walls has one of the worst coaching records in history. Even with those first two years, esteemed coaches like Geischen and Wallace have better win/loss ratios. Of all the coaches who have coached more than 100 games, only Frawley, Judge, Robert Shaw and knights have worse records. Take away Walls first season where he was given the team on a plate, and he is stone bottom of 100 game coaches and is pushing Bartlett territory. You don't judge a person's achievements on one year, you judge it on their career.

As for Tony Jewell, he coached 1 season. Are you saying teams would have taken him on if he had wanted to continue coaching? Same for Walls? I don't think so. And by Walls's commentating we understand why.

Spanish Prisoner said:
When he was at a club that was moving in the right direction he won flags

Walls won a flag, purchased for him from South Australia. Also sacked from four clubs.

Having said that, his commentary doesn't annoy me as much as some others'.

Hawthorn was the shortest side in the comp in 2008, while Geelong was second tallest. A good player is a good player and a dud is a dud, no matter what height they are.

LeeToRainesToRoach said:
Having said that, his commentary doesn't annoy me as much as some others'.

Agreed - don't understand a slagging off as a sole means of justifying an argument. Use the mute button people if you must, but his longevity as a commentator beats any arguement I've seen on here. No, not a fan - just can't see the point at being offended.

Phar Ace said:
Use the mute button people if you must, but his longevity as a commentator beats any arguement I've seen on here.

He's actually quite unique - generally negative slant, but rarely hyper-critical. Balances the calling of others who have an eye for the sensational. Although if you had a commentary box full of Robert Wallses, it's be worse than a funeral.

LeeToRainesToRoach said:
He's actually quite unique - generally negative slant, but rarely hyper-critical. Balances the calling of others who have an eye for the sensational. Although if you had a commentary box full of Robert Wallses, it's be worse than a funeral.

Especially if it's your own?

It would have been good if he had highlighted the fact that the other draft picks that were taken last year were;

Martin 186cm
Griffiths 199cm
Astbury 195cm
Dea 186cm
Taylor 189cm
Grimes 193cm

Could have balanced his point by saying that at least we had gone some way already to addressing our height shortage!

puregreen said:
It would have been good if he had highlighted the fact that the other draft picks that were taken last year were;

Martin 186cm
Griffiths 199cm
Astbury 195cm
Dea 186cm
Taylor 189cm
Grimes 193cm

Could have balanced his point by saying that at least we had gone some way already to addressing our height shortage!

Maybe his next argument will be we have too many in the 186 to 189cm range.

Col.W.Kurtz said:
There are a number of reasons why this argument is flawed.

Walls’ list had a awful lot of people we had recruited in the last year or two with late and rookie picks. Many of the people on the list weren’t getting a game anyway as L2R2R points out.

There is no evidence that size is the reason we are losing, our contested ball and marking stats are one of the few areas where we aren’t getting destroyed.

I thought the issue with Richmond was our poor disposal, or our game plan, or our lack of natural footballers or lack of key forwards. Everything can’t be the problem, I don’t think we are loseing because Hicks playing in the Couburg 2’nds is undersized.

Well said!

As quoted by the prev poster, Col K is correct.

Walls is not spot on. Our problem has been no good players. The priority therefore was to get some good players, start from scratch. a) as we find a few decent players we can then start to think about priorities, and b) because we've started from scratch we have a lot of young recruits, and the shorter recruits develop quicker.

another thing, if, hypothetically, we had started to come back and even win, he would then have expounded the benefits of our mosquito fleet, such is his revolving door approach to opinion.

Walls knows not much at all, no matter how stern and authoritative his tone of voice.

I'll say it again. Wall is not, was not and has never been 'spot on', in anything but the most obvious.

puregreen said:

Martin 186cm
Griffiths 199cm
Astbury 195cm
Dea 186cm
Taylor 189cm
Grimes 193cm

Turn it up! That would have required some research and thought and totally ruined what was a cheap shot.

GoodOne said:
Comparing Walls and Matthews? :rofl Turn it up. Walls inherited a strong Carlton team. First season of coaching them, 20 wins and 4 losses. Just two years later he was walked out the door with Carlton 2 wins and 8 losses. Then his next 5 years at Brisbane, 30 wins and 78 losses. I think his subsequent efforts at coaching showed his true qualities. Take away his first two years and Walls has one of the worst coaching records in history. Even with those first two years, esteemed coaches like Geischen and Wallace have better win/loss ratios. Of all the coaches who have coached more than 100 games, only Frawley, Judge, Robert Shaw and knights have worse records. Take away Walls first season where he was given the team on a plate, and he is stone bottom of 100 game coaches and is pushing Bartlett territory. You don't judge a person's achievements on one year, you judge it on their career.

As for Tony Jewell, he coached 1 season. Are you saying teams would have taken him on if he had wanted to continue coaching? Same for Walls? I don't think so. And by Walls's commentating we understand why.

Couldn't agree more, anyone can look like a genius if given the right personnel. When faced with building a premiership team Walls was nigh on useless, he showed a distinct lack of ability in tailoring his gameplan to match the skill level at his disposal. Some hailed him as a great tactician, I believe he was the opposite (and the statistics back that up.)

ZeroGame said:

Peter Burgoyne 183cm
Kane Cornes 183cm
Stuart Dew 183cm
Adam Kingsley 183cm
Gavin Wanganeen 181cm
Michael Wilson 181cm
Damien Hardwick 180cm
Josh Mahoney 180cm
Brett Montgomery 180cm
Josh Carr 179cm
Byron Pickett 178cm
Jarrad Schofield 178cm
Roger James 177cm

All the players 180cm and below 4 Port r all hard nuts, not the Pussies we have playing for us