Walls is spot on. | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Walls is spot on.

TigerFurious said:
If the club start targeting players of a minimum height then they will have to compromise on on other criteria - most probably skills.

That depends if you think there isn't one player out there over 185cm who can kick a footy.

TigerFurious said:
When you are using 4th and 5th round picks in the draft you don't get too many choices in the players you take as they all have deficiencies. Richmond made the long overdue decision to target players with good footskills first and foremost and I for one am happy to have a few players under 180cm if it improves the overall skill level of the team.

Maybe so but I wasn't alone in the thought we could've added another tall or 2, possibly in the rookie draft. Especially another project ruckman instead of someone like a Hicks. As for Webberly, Nason. Well, I'm sure they will be okay players but you can only carry so many small players/midgets in 1 team. We already have Foley, Edwards, King, White, Nahas, Tambling, Farmer, etc. We still do lack medium sized players and talls on the list, pretty unbalanced and I hope it's adressed in future drafts.

IrockZ said:
Said it during the call and again tonight on One Week At A Time.

Too many players under 180cm. You can carry maybe 2-3 if they are above average players (Foley) but most arent (King, Farmer, Nahas, White etc)
We're building an empire for our little league side.

Not sure I agree. Sometimes people worry too much about things other than football ability.

Weightman, Platten, Royal, Crawford, Cousins, Liberatore - the list goes on and on. All were guns and shorties....

ParisAmos said:
Walls is a tool.

ToraToraTora said:
This is the only time Bob Walls has ever been correct about anything ever.

These comments are very harsh on a guy that played in and also coached flags. Surely he deserves a little more respect than that!

My problem was with the guys he singled out, namely Nahas and Nason. Both have been showing a great deal at afl level and if you honestly think those two dont "deserve" their place because of their height alone.... seriously??

One issue I have most of our "talls" are in the 189 - 193cm range. Obviously we have Browne, Griffiths and perhaps Westhoff if he comes off the rookie list, but we just don't have enough height. Down back we are getting monstered weekly as Thursty, McG and Moore just aren't big or strong enough.

The one issue I take with Walls is it doens't matter if we recruit talls, but if they can't play it doesn't matter.

Spanish Prisoner said:
These comments are very harsh on a guy that played in and also coached flags. Surely he deserves a little more respect than that!

Ever wondered why he doesn't coach anymore? I think many of his comments as a commentator help understand why. I you want respect as a commentator, earn it.

I think sometimes people can be extremely daft with how they view things.

We have a plethora of smalls because i think they are playing the percentages. Out of all of them we will have found a quality midfield. At last draft we went quite tall as well. Astbury, Griffiths, Taylor and Browne was elevated off rookie list

Midfields win games, so to begin a proper rebuild, it starts with getting as many midfielders into the side and finding out who is going to cut it. Players that don't fit the team will be discarded at the end of year.

ParisAmos said:
Walls is a tool.

what about when walls said that "hill and ryder were streets ahead of graham and vickery"
i nearly fell out of my chair with that one - any twit with 1/4 of a brain cell could of told you that.

Spanish Prisoner said:

Ahh................... no he doesnt.

AND once again, get off our illustrious site you troll.

GoodOne said:
Ever wondered why he doesn't coach anymore? I think many of his comments as a commentator help understand why. I you want respect as a commentator, earn it.

Maybe he is no longer a coach for the same reason as Leigh Matthews, Malcolm Blight and Tony Jewell - he is either too old now or doesn't want to do it. Premiership coaches deserve respect, and if you have achieved flags as both a player and a coach then you are ornament to the game.

Surely people on this site can stop being quite so feral for a minute and respect an individual that has achieved so much. You will always get the bogans who are simply feral - but decent people can show respect.

Guys lets be honest were talking about a bloke who was sacked, then the the geish (an even bigger tool ), got more out of the players than he could.

He's just another flog with an axe to grind, he may say encouraging things about us when we come good but all the time he will be wishing us to fail so he can spruce off.

in the end he really is just erelevent.

Spanish Prisoner said:
Maybe he is no longer a coach for the same reason as Leigh Matthews, Malcolm Blight and Tony Jewell - he is either too old now or doesn't want to do it. Premiership coaches deserve respect, and if you have achieved flags as both a player and a coach then you are ornament to the game.

Surely people on this site can stop being quite so feral for a minute and respect an individual that has achieved so much. You will always get the bogans who are simply feral - but decent people can show respect.
What do other Hawks supporters think SP? Do they think Walls is a flog?

I understand the extreme frustration of people on this site. Thirty years is a long time with nothing at all to cheer about. But that is not Robert Walls' fault. When he was at a club that was moving in the right direction he won flags - both playing and coaching - so to pick on him is nothing more than envy and tall poppy sundrome from a group of inpolite people.

The RFC needs more people like him, and less abusive bogans!

Walls is like every other knocker, he can't get his head around the fact that Wallace is no longer coaching the RFC and Hardwick is still trying to deal with his legacy. He also mentioned Nahas and Nason by name as 2 of the smaller players, yet they're 2 of the teams better performed players. Walls was a CHF, he's 6'4", he sides with his own. Can anyone name any of the highly skilled height that Walls brought to Richmond when he was running the show?

CarnTheTiges said:
Walls is like every other knocker, he can't get his head around the fact that Wallace is no longer coaching the RFC and Hardwick is still trying to deal with his legacy. He also mentioned Nahas and Nason by name as 2 of the smaller players, yet they're 2 of the teams better performed players. Walls was a CHF, he's 6'4", he sides with his own. Can anyone name any of the highly skilled height that Walls brought to Richmond when he was running the show?

Now that is a reasonable point. As opposed to the stupidity of simple abuse hurled at him by other on this thread!

Typical responses so far.

People bagging Walls rather than actually listening to whats been discussed.

Martin stands out because he is the only recent draftee who is a decent size.