Walls is spot on. | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Walls is spot on.

IrockZ

Tiger Champion
Jul 18, 2007
Said it during the call and again tonight on One Week At A Time.

Too many players under 180cm. You can carry maybe 2-3 if they are above average players (Foley) but most arent (King, Farmer, Nahas, White etc)

Players under 180cm each round, with competition rank:
R1 5 =1st
R2 4 =3rd
R3 4 =2nd
R4 2 =8th
R5 5 =1st
R6 4 =2nd
R7 3 =3rd
R8 4 =2nd
R9 5 =1st

Matches played by players under 180cm:
45 St
39 Ha
36 Ri
35 Ad, PA
23 NM
21 Ge
20 Co, Sy
19 Me
17 WB
16 WC
12 Es
9 Ca, Fr
4 Br

Avg height and competition rank for each round:
R1 185.95 15th
R2 186.77 10th
R3 187.14   5th
R4 188.05   2nd
R5 186.86 13th
R6 187.45 10th
R7 187.41 12th
R8 187.00 10th
R9 186.64 14th

IrockZ said:
Said it during the call and again tonight on One Week At A Time.

Too many players under 180cm. You can carry maybe 2-3 if they are above average players (Foley) but most arent (King, Farmer, Nahas, White etc)
It's not about the height, it's about the quality
Port Adelaide's 2004 Premiership 22 (not the entire list) had 13 players listed as 183cm or shorter and 7 of those were 180cm or shorter

Peter Burgoyne 183cm
Kane Cornes 183cm
Stuart Dew 183cm
Adam Kingsley 183cm
Gavin Wanganeen 181cm
Michael Wilson 181cm
Damien Hardwick 180cm
Josh Mahoney 180cm
Brett Montgomery 180cm
Josh Carr 179cm
Byron Pickett 178cm
Jarrad Schofield 178cm
Roger James 177cm

ZeroGame said:
Port Adelaide's 2004 Premiership 22 (not the entire list) had 13 players listed as 183cm or shorter and 7 of those were 180cm or shorter

Peter Burgoyne 183cm
Kane Cornes 183cm
Stuart Dew 183cm
Adam Kingsley 183cm
Gavin Wanganeen 181cm
Michael Wilson 181cm
Damien Hardwick 180cm
Josh Mahoney 180cm
Brett Montgomery 180cm
Josh Carr 179cm
Byron Pickett 178cm
Jarrad Schofield 178cm
Roger James 177cm

Well then that blows Wall's theory out the window.

Can we look at haircuts now, maybe whether they shave their legs, or even whether they have the skill to play football?

It looks worse than it is because all of our so called midgets are physically underdeveloped.

I still think the club did the right thing picking players with good footskills. Whether or not the likes of Nason and Webberley make it, they have set a new benchmark in skill for all future recruits and any potential challenges to their positions in the side must match it.

There are a number of reasons why this argument is flawed.

Walls’ list had a awful lot of people we had recruited in the last year or two with late and rookie picks. Many of the people on the list weren’t getting a game anyway as L2R2R points out.

There is no evidence that size is the reason we are losing, our contested ball and marking stats are one of the few areas where we aren’t getting destroyed.

I thought the issue with Richmond was our poor disposal, or our game plan, or our lack of natural footballers or lack of key forwards. Everything can’t be the problem, I don’t think we are loseing because Hicks playing in the Couburg 2’nds is undersized.

LeeToRainesToRoach said:
Players under 180cm each round, with competition rank:
R1 5 =1st
R2 4 =3rd
R3 4 =2nd
R4 2 =8th
R5 5 =1st
R6 4 =2nd
R7 3 =3rd
R8 4 =2nd
R9 5 =1st

Matches played by players under 180cm:
45 St
39 Ha
36 Ri
35 Ad, PA
23 NM
21 Ge
20 Co, Sy
19 Me
17 WB
16 WC
12 Es
9 Ca, Fr
4 Br

Avg height and competition rank for each round:
R1 185.95 15th
R2 186.77 10th
R3 187.14 5th
R4 188.05 2nd
R5 186.86 13th
R6 187.45 10th
R7 187.41 12th
R8 187.00 10th
R9 186.64 14th

ZeroGame said:

Peter Burgoyne 183cm
Kane Cornes 183cm
Stuart Dew 183cm
Adam Kingsley 183cm
Gavin Wanganeen 181cm
Michael Wilson 181cm
Damien Hardwick 180cm
Josh Mahoney 180cm
Brett Montgomery 180cm
Josh Carr 179cm
Byron Pickett 178cm
Jarrad Schofield 178cm
Roger James 177cm

Walls...LOL :hihi

ZeroGame said:

True that. However it's also about strength.
This is clearly illustrated in your Port Adelaide example. That 2004 side had many seasoned footballers.
Many of our kids are physically not ready.

TigerFurious said:
It looks worse than it is because all of our so called midgets are physically underdeveloped.

Exactly.

When you clean out a list as we did last year of course we will be an unbalanced size..

I do not understand why Walls and the media continue to find the negatives in Richmond.. Whatever they say at the moment will all be 100%, but they need to understand where Richmond is and applaud, that for once Richmond is going about it the right way... Until Richmond win games Walls will not stop..

I think Walls has the most 100 point thumpings as a Richmond coach...
So it's easy to sit there and pick then negatives in a team, but when you are in the coaches seat, you need to deliver and l'm afraid Walls never did..

B2

Yeah, Walls is right.

Been too small for far too long. The worst bit is a good number of our small players do not have the skill or pace to justify the imbalance.

Who would have thought, eh, after having Wallace as coach, that we'd be undersized? :p

(It's taken the dogs a good 7-8 years to get some size into its team post-Plough.)

Walls was spot on indeed, however how he portrayed it was dumb. He included players like Newman who are 183cm to try and sensationalize it, they aren't midgets. He should've just showed all the players under 180cm on our list or the players under 180cm who played on the weekend.

Players under 179cm (including rookies)

Tiges - 9
Haw- 8
Port- 8
Crows- 6
Cats- 5
Swans- 5
Saints- 5
North - 5
Coll - 5
Eagles - 5 (had 2 under 169)
Melb- 4
Dogs- 4
Ess- 4
Freo- 3
Carl - 2
Lions- 2

Players 179 or under who played on the weekend:

Cousins (179cm)
Nason (179cm)
King (178cm)
White (179cm)
Nahas (174cm)
Foley (178cm)

Also going up a cm or 2 -

Farmer (180cm)
Tambling (180cm) - would've played if not injured
Edwards (180cm)
Webberly (181cm)

Walls was spot on with this and with Cousins being finished.

People can't look at those figures and tell me there's not a problem. I was suprised we went after so many smalls in the rookie draft/ND like Nason, Webberly, Hicks, etc when we already had so many smalls/midgets. I also agree with Walls that we shouldn't target anyone under a specific height (184cm/185cm) for a year or 2 until the likes of White, King, Cousins, etc are all cleaned out unless they're very, very special or an absolute bargain. Facts are we have the smallest on average in the league.

You may hate him like me and yes he's still a tool but he had a valid point.

Hungry said:
Yeah, Walls is right.

Been too small for far too long. The worst bit is a good number of our small players do not have the skill or pace to justify the imbalance.

Yep. That makes it worse.

We are short, but that isn't the problem. We are small, weak and crap. That is the problem.
So next draft, lets get half a dozen Franklin's because as Walls rightly points out, they grow on trees.

Walls is a moron +2

I think the club knows we need more taller players - last year they drafted Astbury, Griffiths, Taylor, Grimes and Westoff all 190cm+ after picking Vickory, Post and Browne the year before. As always big blokes take longer than small blokes to come on. The problem wasn't that we had too many small blokes - it was that they were having to play as marking forwards because of the team structure on the night.

Our small players will look better playing at the feet of a 198cm 100kg key forward like Griffiths.

Walls was spot on with this and with Cousins being finished.

People can't look at those figures and tell me there's not a problem. I was suprised we went after so many smalls in the rookie draft/ND like Nason, Webberly, Hicks, etc when we already had so many smalls/midgets. I also agree with Walls that we shouldn't target anyone under a specific height (184cm/185cm) for a year or 2 until the likes of White, King, Cousins, etc are all cleaned out unless they're very, very special or an absolute bargain. Facts are we have the smallest on average in the league.

You may hate him like me and yes he's still a tool but he had a valid point.
[/quote]

If the club start targeting players of a minimum height then they will have to compromise on on other criteria - most probably skills.

When you are using 4th and 5th round picks in the draft you don't get too many choices in the players you take as they all have deficiencies. Richmond made the long overdue decision to target players with good footskills first and foremost and I for one am happy to have a few players under 180cm if it improves the overall skill level of the team.

I'm sure Walls (and perhaps yourself) would be banging on just as much if instead of Webberley and Nason we'd taken a couple of kids who where 185cm but couldn't hit the side of a barn.

If they are quality you can

If we were having this disscussion about Varcoe, Byrnes, Stokes, Hunt, Chapman, Ablett ect we wouldnt even be having a conversation

Walls is a malaka. Cant stand him should retire