Umpire farce - Getting worse by the minute! | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Umpire farce - Getting worse by the minute!

Collingwood v Swans last night, 1st quarter about 10 minutes to go, Maynard walked the ball through the goals after clearly having ample time to dispose of it in play. Pretty much the same situation Broad faced v the Suns, even BT remarked that a player had been penalized earlier (although being BT, he couldn't remember the details). Broad may be the only player this year to be awarded a free against for a rushed behind.

• Angry
  • Sad
Reactions: 8 users
Collingwood v Swans last night, 1st quarter about 10 minutes to go, Maynard walked the ball through the goals after clearly having ample time to dispose of it in play. Pretty much the same situation Broad faced v the Suns, even BT remarked that a player had been penalized earlier (although being BT, he couldn't remember the details). Broad may be the only player this year to be awarded a free against for a rushed behind.
More pathetic from commentators. Brayshaw reckons he was under pressure so all good and DumbTaylor couldn't remember 1 week ago. Sounded like they spoke with guns to their heads....

Reactions: 1 users
Apart from the propensity for bias, inconsistency, being too hard or soft of certain players, snuffing out comebacks with soft frees etc etc, I reckon the umpiring so far has just seemed slack. Lot of Out of bounds not being picked up, lot of frazzled, twitchy looking goal umps, maybe early season nerves? Who is the umps boss now?

Reactions: 1 user
Apart from the propensity for bias, inconsistency, being too hard or soft of certain players, snuffing out comebacks with soft frees etc etc, I reckon the umpiring so far has just seemed slack. Lot of Out of bounds not being picked up, lot of frazzled, twitchy looking goal umps, maybe early season nerves? Who is the umps boss now?
Isn’t it Richardson?

Of course he will be.

Yep, the commentators tried to justify the free at the time, but it was obvious then that the same thing would happen and it wont be paid again. Until it is.

I watched a bit of the game last night, between what i saw then and our game, I reckon i have probably seen at least 20 throws. and 1 free for throwing.- it would be interesting to know how many frees for throws have been paid over the last few years, and how many against us. (Im pretty certain we wont have had paid our way.)

Reactions: 3 users
The bias feels real even if it isn't. Disheartening to the point where it's almost a surprise when we get a free kick. Truly a bizarre situation.
watching the 2017 finals series recently, sure there were some dodgy frees and misses, but it felt pretty even over all - nothing like the overwhelming feeling of bias over the past 6 years

Reactions: 4 users
When will the AFL start listening to genuine complaints about the way the game is umpired and the inconsistency of decisions when we have commentators, pundits and ex football management now making comments about it. Then we have the rule of the week where the umps look at a point overzealously whilst ignoring other foul play. The problem is, as I see it, too many umps have egos and tend to make any game all about them instead of allowing the game to flow

And a quick around the grounds on the free kick differences:

Suns -3
Swans -4
Geelong -4
Hawthorn-7
Richmond -7
Giants -8

• Sad

Suns -3
Swans -4
Geelong -4
Hawthorn-7
Richmond -7
Giants -8
Bloody Giants and Kingsley, trying to copy everything Richmond.
They‘re even encroaching on our exclusive umpire bias. They can gagf

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users
Yeh, that was almost identical. And guess what - no commentator even mentioned it in passing. No questioning it, no bringing up the Broad decision. It's just *smile*.

The club needs to raise it. They should be demanding the AFL explain it. We cannot rely on the media to start questioning our treatment. Yes, there were tweets by AFL identities such as Thomas and Carey but the AFL can ignore them. The media does not care. We won 3 flags, we don't deserve any favouratism must be their thinking. The club needs to do it for the players and supporters.

Yep, the commentators tried to justify the free at the time, but it was obvious then that the same thing would happen and it wont be paid again. Until it is.

I watched a bit of the game last night, between what i saw then and our game, I reckon i have probably seen at least 20 throws. and 1 free for throwing.- it would be interesting to know how many frees for throws have been paid over the last few years, and how many against us. (Im pretty certain we wont have had paid our way.)
The throws!!! How was Hawkins reaction to getting pinged?? He couldn't believe it. How much of an idiot is he? Throwing is off the charts. The AFL clearly condone it. I remember Montagna raised it on Fox with his video montage of the Bulldogs but nothing has changed. It's embarrasing.

God I hate Geelong, a bunchof headband wearing ponces. I had forgotten how much I hate them having not seen them for so long. And now we have to put up with moron Selwood in conjunction with Ling/Darcy/BT/Brayshaw/Hame/Bartel.....a Mark Latham quote comes to mind thinking about that lineup. Unlistenable.

• Haha
When will the AFL start listening to genuine complaints about the way the game is umpired and the inconsistency of decisions when we have commentators, pundits and ex football management now making comments about it. Then we have the rule of the week where the umps look at a point overzealously whilst ignoring other foul play. The problem is, as I see it, too many umps have egos and tend to make any game all about them instead of allowing the game to flow

I still reckon it comes back to how, some years ago now, they decided there should be less free kicks per game. The only way to do that was to not award all the free kicks they see. Now, not only is that a recipe for inconsistency, it also means players and coaches will push the envelope to see what they can get away with. Clearly some teams have successfully identified they can throw, not dispose of the ball properly and grab players without the ball - and get away with it. One of the main issues is how some teams get away with this and others don't.

Suns -3
Swans -4
Geelong -4
Hawthorn-7
Richmond -7
Giants -8

And, here we have the case in point. Both Richmond and GWS have often been on the receiving end of a negative free kick count, GWS especially when they are more competitive. Both teams have changed coaches, GWS last year and us this year. The free kick imbalance continues. We'll see how this tracks for the rest of the year.

DS

Reactions: 2 users