Umpire farce - Getting worse by the minute! | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Umpire farce - Getting worse by the minute!

The average total frees paid in each years finals series in our games and the HA averages

2017 - 43 (HA ave was 40 and we ave 18.8 For)
2018 - 36 (HA ave was 40 and we ave 17.5 For)
2019 - 39 (HA ave was 38 and we ave 18.4 For)
2020 - 33 (HA ave was 33 and we ave 14.9 For)

I think finals are umpired better in general.

Reactions: 2 users
FF 68
FA 62

FF 35
FA 37

FF 60
FA 56

FF 60
FA 72

OVERALL FINALS - 2017-2020
FF - 223
FA - 227

there it is!

we get highly significantly less shafted in finals.

Reactions: 1 users
Clear vibe from me is umpiring is better in finals. Way less bs / inconsequential stuff is paid.

Our forwards get holding free kicks in finals too.

Dangerfield still got a bull *smile* 50 after diving in 2017 probably the main one that sticks out. And against BL last year umps were a bit hot on 50s against us. Both of these are week 1 finals with the shitter umps.

The Tigers don’t get many frees because they usually play on when they get them. Think about it.

The umpire sees a free kick. He moves his whistle towards his mouth but doesn’t blow it yet. This prompts the camera to focus directly on him. He pauses for dramatic effect, bends forward, begins to move his arms in a swiping motion, his hands adding little flourishes to his moves. Everything is in slow motion to maximise his TV time, every disco move enhances his cameo. The crowd noise crescendoes with excitement that is almost too hard to contain.

He blows the whistle. Remember he is miked up. Now he has a speaking part. “Insufficient attempt to move the ball on, Dusty. Not enough intent to keep the ball in play, Grimesy. That’s a high tackle on Joel Selwood, Toby. Toby, it’s a high tackle. Give the ball back right now.

Here’s the mark. STAND!!!!!!!! Pause for dramatic effect again. Play on…..”

Occasionally, the umpire sees a free kick to Richmond. As he moves his whistle towards his mouth, he knows he has to start blowing it or the moment will be gone forever.

Meanwhile Dusty breaks the tackle and handpasses to Lambert, he taps it to Shedda, he runs into it and knocks it forward with his hip towards George, he fumbles it, picks it up, fumbles it again, picks it up again, handpasses to Jack in the goal –square, at his feet, of course, (thanks Quickdraw). Goal Richmond. Six defenders are lying on the ground.

Not much of a TV moment for the poor old umpire there. What a waste of a fresh haircut and ten dollars worth of pomade that was!

Let me ask the question. Why would he give Richmond a free?

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 10 users
The Tigers don’t get many frees because they usually play on when they get them. Think about it.

The umpire sees a free kick. He moves his whistle towards his mouth but doesn’t blow it yet. This prompts the camera to focus directly on him. He pauses for dramatic effect, bends forward, begins to move his arms in a swiping motion, his hands adding little flourishes to his moves. Everything is in slow motion to maximise his TV time, every disco move enhances his cameo. The crowd noise crescendoes with excitement that is almost too hard to contain.

He blows the whistle. Remember he is miked up. Now he has a speaking part. “Insufficient attempt to move the ball on, Dusty. Not enough intent to keep the ball in play, Grimesy. That’s a high tackle on Joel Selwood, Toby. Toby, it’s a high tackle. Give the ball back right now.

Here’s the mark. STAND!!!!!!!! Pause for dramatic effect again. Play on…..”

Occasionally, the umpire sees a free kick to Richmond. As he moves his whistle towards his mouth, he knows he has to start blowing it or the moment will be gone forever.

Meanwhile Dusty breaks the tackle and handpasses to Lambert, he taps it to Shedda, he runs into it and knocks it forward with his hip towards George, he fumbles it, picks it up, fumbles it again, picks it up again, handpasses to Jack in the goal –square, goal Richmond. Six defenders are lying on the ground.

Not much of a TV moment for the poor old umpire there. What a waste of a fresh haircut and $10 of pomade that was!

Let me ask the question. Why would he give Richmond a free?
Nearly 10/10 there TOT. I'll give 9.5 for missing the obvious one of George handballing to Jack's feet.

Reactions: 1 user
Stevic, Gavine and Fleer are our umps for this week. Stevic used to be on my list, but he has umpired well in our Grand Finals. I know Fleer was a worry last year and had the Grand Final and I don't really know Gavine.

Stevic, Gavine and Fleer are our umps for this week. Stevic used to be on my list, but he has umpired well in our Grand Finals. I know Fleer was a worry last year and had the Grand Final and I don't really know Gavine.

yeah Stevic is my least worst.

he was very fair to us in the cauldron prelim last year

yeah Stevic is my least worst.

he was very fair to us in the cauldron prelim last year

Its unbelievable that we need to find out who is umpiring our games.
Hocking has instructed them to bend us over

Geez I'd take Razor over that cheating muthaf#$#%#& DeBoy, and Razor is a campaigner and has done us over with relentless consistancy

I don’t know him either. But he’s a prick....

• Haha
Reactions: 11 users
I'd say that the clubs would keep their own stats & if they found that an individual umpire was being a bit "less than unbiased" than they should be, words would be had with the Umpiring Dept.
So every week then?

I hate the way they adjudicate finals differently to Home and Away games.

Do the rules change for finals? No? Then why the f*** do they get umpired differently?

DS

Reactions: 4 users
Same umpires adjudicate differently in H&A games, it makes no sense.

DS
?

The number of umpires for finals is less so theoretically in week one you get the best 12. Week 2-3 the best 6 and the grand final has the best 3.

I don’t track if umpires do two games in a round but always assumed it’s 27 different umpires in home and away.

?

The number of umpires for finals is less so theoretically in week one you get the best 12. Week 2-3 the best 6 and the grand final has the best 3.

I don’t track if umpires do two games in a round but always assumed it’s 27 different umpires in home and away.

Yes, but the umpires in the finals also umpire H&A games and umpire differently during the season.

I understand they use more umpires in H&A games as there are more games each week. But those who do get to umpire finals do change the way they adjudicate finals as opposed to H&A games.

DS

Yes, but the umpires in the finals also umpire H&A games and umpire differently during the season.

I understand they use more umpires in H&A games as there are more games each week. But those who do get to umpire finals do change the way they adjudicate finals as opposed to H&A games.
Yes, our free kick count is -4 in finals, -304 in h&a games since 2017.