TV Sports Betting Ban ?. | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

TV Sports Betting Ban ?.

Tigaman

Tiger Champion
May 23, 2010
A Government committee has concluded into a Wagering Ban on advertising sports with the main focus of phasing it out. Racing authorities say this will lead to a $300 million lost revenue. I am of the opinion this ban will also apply to AFL..

Hopefully all sport wagering ads are banned. An industry worth killing off imo!

• Dislike
  • Love
Reactions: 6 users
Not sure AFL knows how to do cost reduction.
Getting everyone to take a pay cut (execs and players and coaches) I can't see happening - will be interesting to see how it would play out.
No gambling ads = less revenue for TV = less TV rights $ ..

A Government committee has concluded into a Wagering Ban on advertising sports with the main focus of phasing it out. Racing authorities say this will lead to a $300 million lost revenue. I am of the opinion this ban will also apply to AFL..
Good, those commercials are an insult to even a simpletons intelligence.

• Dislike
Reactions: 5 users
Not sure AFL knows how to do cost reduction.
Getting everyone to take a pay cut (execs and players and coaches) I can't see happening - will be interesting to see how it would play out.
No gambling ads = less revenue for TV = less TV rights $ ..
Just reduce the off field salary cap, and money given to well run clubs.
And increase fines.- maybe they can offer us a priority pick if we keep Marlion Pickett on the list.

• Love
Reactions: 1 users
Murdoch has put Foxtel on the market so it as if he is looking ahead at a total sports wagering ban.

Murdoch has put Foxtel on the market so it as if he is looking ahead at a total sports wagering ban.
Profits have fallen through the floor, Foxtel are getting their arse kicked by Netflix and Amazon Prime etc. Next year Warner Bros Discovery are launching their streaming service "Max" into Australia. That's the reason why Murdoch is considering selling, it's not because of Sports betting ads.

Profits have fallen through the floor, Foxtel are getting their arse kicked by Netflix and Amazon Prime etc. Next year Warner Bros Discovery are launching their streaming service "Max" into Australia. That's the reason why Murdoch is considering selling, it's not because of Sports betting ads.
If that is so who would want to buy it ?. Murdoch might be stuck with it. To me this move to abolish Wagering Betting advertising is the Government succumbing to another wokey lot. Maybe they should hold a inquiry to Feed lot ads (Maccas Kentucky Duck etc etc ) as they are detrimental to the health of Australian especially the young.

If that is so who would want to buy it ?. Murdoch might be stuck with it. To me this move to abolish Wagering Betting advertising is the Government succumbing to another wokey lot. Maybe they should hold a inquiry to Feed lot ads (Maccas Kentucky Duck etc etc ) as they are detrimental to the health of Australian especially the young.
The Libs have been pushing for something similar.

Then all sports on paid TV so those who cannot afford such miss out.
What? Do you reckon betting ads only, are on sports programs? No other ads?
Easily sorted in the Feds ban betting ads and legislate x amount of content must be on free to air stations. Or do they do that now?

What? Do you reckon betting ads only, are on sports programs? No other ads?
Easily sorted in the Feds ban betting ads and legislate x amount of content must be on free to air stations. Or do they do that now?
AFL has to balance the books & is balanced now with sports betting ads to x amount of millions . So who is going to keep AFl books after ads banned. Same with racing codes which is a flourishing business & is going flogged all because some a look at me minority object to the Ads. Typical Australian culture since the 70's.

AFL has to balance the books & is balanced now with sports betting ads to x amount of millions . So who is going to keep AFl books after ads banned. Same with racing codes which is a flourishing business & is going flogged all because some a look at me minority object to the Ads. Typical Australian culture since the 70's.
They don’t need to balance the books. They’re supposed to be a “not for profit” organisation but still manage to make a “surplus” every year.
They take taxpayer money by the bucketloads. So there’s the “payoff” taxpayer money or forgo it at the expense of taking betting agencies money.
How much do they reap from betting agencies? Do some belt tightening, save on waste, streamline the footballs operations, get rid of so many of the $ million salaries. Just like government departments, too many snouts taking money from the clubs and members.

The afl seemed to manage well enough before they adopted all these money streams. No doubt the games is costing more. But they don’t have to sell their soul to the devil to do it. How many kids are being influenced. How many people with gambling issues. They’re inundated with ads. During programs, during games. Just *smile* all the ads off.

They don’t need to balance the books. They’re supposed to be a “not for profit” organisation but still manage to make a “surplus” every year.
They take taxpayer money by the bucketloads. So there’s the “payoff” taxpayer money or forgo it at the expense of taking betting agencies money.
How much do they reap from betting agencies? Do some belt tightening, save on waste, streamline the footballs operations, get rid of so many of the $ million salaries. Just like government departments, too many snouts taking money from the clubs and members.

The afl seemed to manage well enough before they adopted all these money streams. No doubt the games is costing more. But they don’t have to sell their soul to the devil to do it. How many kids are being influenced. How many people with gambling issues. They’re inundated with ads. During programs, during games. Just *smile* all the ads off.
Where is the stats on children being influenced by betting ads ?. Do some belt tighening etc etc etc. That is good hard working people losing their job because of the soft bellied minority who do not give a crap about them. Fast food ads do more harm than betting ads.

Where is the stats on children being influenced by betting ads ?.
Look them up
Do some belt tighening etc etc etc. That is good hard working people losing their job because of the soft bellied minority who do not give a crap about them.
How many jobs are at risk by not advertising gambling? The rest of that sentence is just nonsense.
Fast food ads do more harm than betting ads.
And it won’t be long before they’re subject to more scrutiny. I doubt many people and their families are affected to a fast food addiction compared to gambling addiction.
Anyway you have your opinion I have mine. Gambling is a blight on society

Reactions: 1 users
Look them up

How many jobs are at risk by not advertising gambling? The rest of that sentence is just nonsense.

And it won’t be long before they’re subject to more scrutiny. I doubt many people and their families are affected to a fast food addiction compared to gambling addiction.
Anyway you have your opinion I have mine. Gambling is a blight on society
Now I am blight on society because I have a wager on the Gees Gees. I get more back from the Gees Gees than Lotto. How many people do Lotto employ compared to the Nags Trots Doggies ?.

• Wow
Reactions: 1 user
Now I am blight on society because I have a wager on the Gees Gees. I get more back from the Gees Gees than Lotto. How many people do Lotto employ compared to the Nags Trots Doggies ?.
I didn’t say you were a blight on society. I said gambling is.