Trade Cotchin | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Trade Cotchin

IanG said:
We agree for once, can't believe all the media going on about attacking footy making a return.
well it did in the richmond match too...and thats why we lost

IanG said:
We agree for once, can't believe all the media going on about attacking footy making a return.
Their lack of height, especially in the forward line, has always been their achilles heel, it's not likely to change.

When Sheedy took over essendon, they lost their first finals three years in a row (twice to Fitzroy and the other I can't remember.

We are all flat! but I'm glad I went to the finals rather than listening to the crap when we miss out.

Let's group again, we will be back and better!

Come on you tiger supporters, lift your heads high and be proud.

No 4 said:
When Sheedy took over essendon, they lost their first finals three years in a row (twice to Fitzroy and the other I can't remember.

This is not quite true.
They lost the Elimination Final to Fitzroy in 1979, but Sheedy wasn't coaching them then.
In 1980 they didn't make the finals.
Sheedy started coaching in 1981 and here they lost the Elimination Final to Fitzroy again.
In 1982 they lost it to North Melbourne.
In 1983 they won the Elimination Final over Carlton and went all the way to the GF before getting a record caning from Hawthorn.

But I agree with the rest of your post!

23.21.159 said:
This is not quite true.
They lost the Elimination Final to Fitzroy in 1979, but Sheedy wasn't coaching them then.
In 1980 they didn't make the finals.
Sheedy started coaching in 1981 and here they lost the Elimination Final to Fitzroy again.
In 1982 they lost it to North Melbourne.
In 1983 they won the Elimination Final over Carlton and went all the way to the GF before getting a record caning from Hawthorn.

But I agree with the rest of your post!

Memory is failing a bit! :-[

Disagree with trading him. Needs a makeover, make him look intimidating. I propose that he rips off the verandah hair style and goes the dusty look with tattoo sleeves. Opposition players will be too scared to go near him.

Tigers of Old said:
Trent was going to be the next Gary Ablett Jnr 3 years ago. Forget that, now he's probably our 3rd best player in the club.

Yep I too thought he was going to take the mantle from gazza following his 2012 season. Now I can think of 20 midfielders at least id rate above him.

Just does not perform in big games and too easily shut out. A mate once mentioned to me that he reckons that Trent simply gives up when he realises he's been tagged out of a game. Maybe some of it is mental aswell.

Agreed in 2012 thought he was the next G. Ablett junior. Can be again.

Needs to get fitter & stronger; needs team mates to look after him like the Cats protected Ablett by consistently belting into any tagger (legally of course); put better midfielders around him & a better ruckman. Hey presto, the real Cotchin will be back.

He really needs some size about him. Hit the gym hard this off season Cotch!

joegarra said:
I agree it's not going to happen, but my point is we have to be ruthless to improve, we are no better than 2 years ago despite what everyone says. We have serial offenders in finals, and sadly our captain and our coach are two of them. My only two untouchables are our bookends, Jack and Rance. Everyone else is tradeable for the right deal.
Interesting n fun thread you've started joegarra, surprised you don't have a lynch party camped outside your front door :eek:.
Not sure we need to trade or demote the Cotch, or elevate others in his place. What we do need though is to provide better support n coverage to what we have. Cotch aint exactly a midfield monster yet that's how we expect him to play. We've got tiny little Mr Puniverses in Cotch n Miles as our in and under mids, fairly easy to tag n sit on in crunch pressure games, we need a beast the size n type of Jabbie, Kennedy, Fyffe or Bonts to share that skilled inside grunt role, Dusty n Lids both seem to perform far better as the first release mid n forward option rather than being underneath midfielders. Lambert, Edwards, Ellis x2 n Grigg aint that big either, the only one we've got that possibly fits is KMac.
Unfortunately as has been shown recently we also need an A grade athletic ruck man rather than an A grade worker ruck man to give our mids an even opportunity. Love the big mullet n his work ethic n personal integrity, he's someone we absolutely needed to help develop our club, but he's struggling to have any influence against the better rucks.

Dangerous thing to remove parts of the core values n integrity of your playing list, puts the wind up all of the players n changes their focus to survival n pay cheque rather than team values. Far better to find ways to work from around the edges to support n enhance the quality you have without damaging the core.

TigerMasochist said:
Interesting n fun thread you've started joegarra, surprised you don't have a lynch party camped outside your front door :eek:.
Not sure we need to trade or demote the Cotch, or elevate others in his place. What we do need though is to provide better support n coverage to what we have. Cotch aint exactly a midfield monster yet that's how we expect him to play. We've got tiny little Mr Puniverses in Cotch n Miles as our in and under mids, fairly easy to tag n sit on in crunch pressure games, we need a beast the size n type of Jabbie, Kennedy, Fyffe or Bonts to share that skilled inside grunt role, Dusty n Lids both seem to perform far better as the first release mid n forward option rather than being underneath midfielders. Lambert, Edwards, Ellis x2 n Grigg aint that big either, the only one we've got that possibly fits is KMac.
Unfortunately as has been shown recently we also need an A grade athletic ruck man rather than an A grade worker ruck man to give our mids an even opportunity. Love the big mullet n his work ethic n personal integrity, he's someone we absolutely needed to help develop our club, but he's struggling to have any influence against the better rucks.

Dangerous thing to remove parts of the core values n integrity of your playing list, puts the wind up all of the players n changes their focus to survival n pay cheque rather than team values. Far better to find ways to work from around the edges to support n enhance the quality you have without damaging the core.
Overall, want no part of this thread. Made my thought known on the older Cotch thread re everyone now assassinating the player who nearly killed himself, along with others such as Miles, Rance, Jack to get us into finals. There will be a reason; probably a bad back.
Just wanted to echo your thoughts on our obvious lack of midfield size and grunt though. Isn't it ironic, with all the speculation on the Lennon thread, that just what we probably needed was there for the next pick in 2013 draft - Cripps. Not intended as a knock on Lennon. My only point is, it's a matter of knowing what you need most/greatest priority.