Trade Cotchin | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Trade Cotchin

joegarra

Tiger Matchwinner
Jun 27, 2013
Werribee South
I know many of you will shoot me down in flames, but.... The club has to make a statement that enough is enough. He has been terrible in our three finals losses. His set shots are terrible. He did nothing yesterday to change the game. If you are getting beaten then become the hunter. Forget about winning the ball, concentrate on helping teammates eg shepherding, making space or stopping the opposition eg tackling. It reminded me of games played by Geelong captains in Grand Finals in the 90s when their opponents ended up winning Norm Smith medals.

joegarra said:
I know many of you will shoot me down in flames, but.... The club has to make a statement that enough is enough. He has been terrible in our three finals losses. His set shots are terrible. He did nothing yesterday to change the game. If you are getting beaten then become the hunter. Forget about winning the ball, concentrate on helping teammates eg shepherding, making space or stopping the opposition eg tackling. It reminded me of games played by Geelong captains in Grand Finals in the 90s when their opponents ended up winning Norm Smith medals.

Toby Bairstow was never that bad - ran himself into the ground to shake tags. At least still contributed.
In saying that, Cotch needs a change of role, even just for a year, to release the pressure valve a bit. Let him be the hunter down back for a while, a la Hodge..

joegarra said:

Normally like your work joe- terrible post mate.

Merveille said:
Toby Bairstow was never that bad - ran himself into the ground to shake tags. At least still contributed.
In saying that, Cotch needs a change of role, even just for a year, to release the pressure valve a bit. Let him be the hunter down back for a while, a la Hodge..

Why? The other midfielders should be stepping in to help him out when he gets the hard tag. Who did that yesterday?

You don't trade players like Cotchin but i would seriously consider taking the captaincy off him. Make Rance or Ivan as joint captains next year to make the removal process a little easier. Following year he becomes Vice Captain and its done.

frawleyudud said:
You don't trade players like Cotchin but i would seriously consider taking the captaincy off him. Make Rance or Ivan as joint captains next year to make the removal process a little easier. Following year he becomes Vice Captain and its done.

I think its time to give Lids a go as captain. I think he's better suited than Cotchin.

ThePercies said:
I think its time to give Lids a go as captain. I think he's better suited than Cotchin.

stole my thunder. at the right price i would accept a Cotchin trade, but the far more sensible response/approach would be to strip him of the captaincy.

Slinger said:
Normally like your work joe- terrible post mate.

No more terrible than the midfield was yesterday. I was being deliberately controversial, but I don't want to hear how we will learn from it etc etc. As Sheedy said many years ago, it's your top six players that win you finals , we had two, Jack and Rance, contribute yesterday.

Never read so much emotional claptrap in my life.
One kick from making top-4 and as a COLLECTIVE, our midfield was poor yesterday, and people are looking at trading the captain or stripping him of his captaincy.
::) :mad:

Chelsea said:
Never read so much emotional claptrap in my life.
One kick from making top-4 and as a COLLECTIVE, our midfield was poor yesterday, and people are looking at trading the captain or stripping him of his captaincy.
::) :mad:

I don't think its crazy talk to think of getting a new captain . Unfortunate as it is Cotchin doesn't stand up in finals and i actually think he will play better with captaincy pressure off his shoulders.

pessimistic_ said:
why does it matter who is captain

this is bizarre

because it is clear we lack leadership when the heat is on. you could argue its like shuffling the deck chairs of the titanic, but giving someone else a go can only help improve the onfield leadership.

haha, lets not get crazy here.

We need more players of his quality. Not less.

tiges said:
I don't think its crazy talk to think of getting a new captain . Unfortunate as it is Cotchin doesn't stand up in finals and i actually think he will play better with captaincy pressure off his shoulders.

The only way Cotchin should lose the captaincy is if decides to hand it over to someone else because he thinks he can be a better footballer for us without the responsibility that comes with being captain.
He should not be stripped of it (or traded) because of one game.

ThePercies said:
Think that might actually be the perfect replacement. I remember the one game he was captain against Port and he was a standout. Seemed to lift with the responsibility whereas Cotch seems to be carrying more than he can handle.