The Lack of Talls on Our List (Merged) | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

The Lack of Talls on Our List (Merged)

Re: Permission to train list

Smoking Aces said:
Agree. I think we will see a much improved Thursfield next year. The way the old coaching staff were developing Thursfield did the kid no favours whatsoever.

Agree. If he can step up and take FB it would settle the backline

Smoking Aces said:
Agree. I think we will see a much improved Thursfield next year. The way the old coaching staff were developing Thursfield did the kid no favours whatsoever.
Coaching staff :hihi thats an insult to the 15 other clubs, Once Thirsty got back in the team, he stiched up most good forwards he was assigned(mainly Midsized), other then Fev, best backman we have by a mile

He is our best stopper by a long way. He has the pace and ability to spoil more often than any of our other players put together.

I couldn't believe it when he started on the bench against Carltank in R1 this year, although after Wallet said that Graham would play 22 games of footy in 2009, but then proceeded to bump him in favour of Browne for round 1 it turned out to be the start of a string of odd decisions :p

with a bit more bulk and with a coach to install a touch more flair and confidence i have no doubt thursty has the ability to be an all australian full back

Smoking Aces said:

I agree. As Thursfield president in 2010 I have to agree :hihi

Leysy Days said:
Could you please let leysy know all of these 195+cm key backs that it seems all good defences need at full back & CHB.

Cheers.
yeah me to. we dont lack height thursfield post rance mcguane are all tall enough to play kp. we lack tall defenders with size. how often does it have to be said.
if i had to put a range on it the better kpds would fall between 190 and say 196cm with height. the better kpds are all between 90 and 100kg.

we dont have a kpd over 89kg.

the claw said:

In other words we don't really have any KPDs. Its our biggest weakness. Our backline has been playing over their weight for a long time and I think the pressure showed this year. Next year Thursfield, Moore and McGuane are going to be 3 of our more senior players at 24, 26 and 23yo respectively. They aren't the solution as our core defense. From all reports Thursfield is piling on the kilos. 2010 will need to be a big year for him, the year of realising the potential he has shown. Moore is a good player but more suited to the third tall role running out of the backline. McGiane just isn't up to it. Tries hard but lacks skill and certainly doesn't play his height imo. KPDs need to be a priority from this point forward. I still think Post will end up being a CHB, purely because we don't have many other options over the next couple of years whilst we try and recruit some more youngsters.

GoodOne said:
Exactly what I've been saying. We have our mids covered. Deledio/Cotchin/Tambling/Martin all top of the draft picks. Add Collins, Foley, Thomson, Edwards all as potential midfielders or depth players. Most of these players have already cemented spots in the team. The next most important position is the key position area. Who do we have as having cemented their spot in the team. I'd count Thursfeld and Reiwoldt as probables but not definites. The rest still have much to do to prove themselves. We need the tall timber depth to complement our maturing midfield. At these picks you need to pick on needs not inexact guesses on who is best available.

First and foremost we need guys all over the park that can kick accurately & long.

Before this draft only Lids has that ability to clear the lines with his kicks. Having a multitude of players that can do this is getting more & more vital to teams combatting zones, flooding etc. Martin hopefully adds to this. We also attempted to fix this crucial need by taking Webberley. Whether he is up to taking the leap in grade he needs remains to be seen, but even if we picked for needs he certainly is one that we plumped for with the late picks you speak of that has tried to address this glaring weakness.

if riewoldt or thursty or both get injured who covers them?

the claw said:
yeah me to. we dont lack height thursfield post rance mcguane are all tall enough to play kp. we lack tall defenders with size. how often does it have to be said.
if i had to put a range on it the better kpds would fall between 190 and say 196cm with height. the better kpds are all between 90 and 100kg.

This i agree with. So if the boys added weight we could class them as KPD, thats Moore, McGuane and Thirsty all in the right height range. And i know for a fact that they are all training to add weight. :clap

i'm looking forward to see if the change of game plan also adds to improving of disposal. A less confusing game plan with players knowing where each other will be on the ground will definately help and truly show up those with poor skills and decision making. i am not totally sold that so many of our players have such poor skills.

the claw said:

This is a whole different argument altogether.

So now we don't lack height but body strenght....

Which I totally agree with.

This is not a list management issue, this is a coaching and coaching staff issue.

Wallace wanted light bodies for whatever reason. It showed through.

Hardwick has told Thursfield to bulk up. He has told McGuane to bulk up. Rance is bulking up. Vickery is bulking up. Post is bulking up. Riewoldt is bulking up.

So with this new regime in place, we will see a bigger bodied Richmond. It won't happen overnight, but it will happen.

Totally different argument.

Leysy Days said:
First and foremost we need guys all over the park that can kick accurately & long.

Before this draft only Lids has that ability to clear the lines with his kicks. Having a multitude of players that can do this is getting more & more vital to teams combatting zones, flooding etc. Martin hopefully adds to this. We also attempted to fix this crucial need by taking Webberley. Whether he is up to taking the leap in grade he needs remains to be seen, but even if we picked for needs he certainly is one that we plumped for with the late picks you speak of that has tried to address this glaring weakness.

Again, your bang on the money mate.

Our biggest issue was getting players in with accurate and long long kicks. We needed that more than anything.

The fact all our kids are great kicks should be celebrated.

Nason is a fantastic field kick. Penetrating, accurate and precise. On both feet too. Don't discount him from your discussions when talking about elite kicks.

Leysy Days said:

Don't think anyone's arguing what you have said there. First and foremost we need players who can kick accurately and long AND play key positions. Yes we need more all over the park but the average tall (and Im talking about those who are marked champions from day 1) takes a lot longer to develop. We need to ensure we've given every chance to develop as many talls as possible to complement the maturing midfielder group we have built. There are many more flanker outside types we can find or poach later to fill the gaps. Sure if there is an obvious pick that has fallen through take them. Very unlikely that rookie selections will come through with the goods, especially talls.

It's statistically very unlikely that any players, especially talls, will make it if they're taken later than the 3rd round of the ND. We spent our 2nd rounder and earliest 3rd rounder on talls after taking the standout player with pick 3. I don't see how this isn't addressing needs.

The players people are saying we should have taken late in the ND are still going to be available in the PSD and early in the rookie draft so we can still take these speculative types to bolster our stocks.

Disco08 said:
It's statistically very unlikely that any players, especially talls, will make it if they're taken later than the 3rd round of the ND. We spent our 2nd rounder and earliest 3rd rounder on talls after taking the standout player with pick 3. I don't see how this isn't addressing needs.

The players people are saying we should have taken late in the ND are still going to be available in the PSD and early in the rookie draft so we can still take these speculative types to bolster our stocks.

Good post Disco.

Disco08 said:

Can you please provide some actual support for your statement? Like some names? Go through and identify the talls taken and tell me say less than 10% of them make it and I will agree with the very unlikely part.

Have you read some of the names I have posted previously, taken late in draft? Jessie White, Cale Hooker of reecnt times. Around White were A Collins, R Gray, J Hill - don't say good players, both tall and short, are very unlikely to be taken late in the draft. Those 4 were taken close together.

Jessie White, taken as the 18th best tall. Cale Hooker taken as 14th best tall. Egan taken late, Lake at 71. It does happen.

Every year throws up good players drafted late, obviously good management and luck are involved. BUT, you will not get a White if you do not select him. You might get a Paul Bevan. Who do we need more?

I hope that the bulk of the bulking up is directed into the appropriate bulking up location that requires bulking up.

Disco08 said:

Vardy, Fitzpatrick, Craig. Vardy went at 42 so maybe not an option but the other two definitely were. None of these are available in the PSD.

Edit: Oh yes and no less than 14 players over 190cm were drafted after Pick 44 (admittedly some recycled) and none of these are available in the PSD.