Team V Freo (inc Freo's Team) | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Team V Freo (inc Freo's Team)

shamekha said:
Maybe, just maybe, Hardwick is not trying to go all out and win (tanking?), but rather trying different team setups and different players before he settles on who he delists at the end of the season..

We're not going to win a premiership this year so he may as well find out who can play where and who will fit into the structures and game plan he's trying to get them to learn.

i'm not reading anything into it at all.

This whole season is about experimenting.
Bingo!!!

That is exactly what DH is up to, seeing how players go in differring roles & then putting a line through the names of those that aren't up to the challenge.

Would like to know if this is the smallest side we have ever fielded, seems like a midget brigade.

I hope Nahas has been selected to play as a permanent FP. Pretty clear that he is not a midfielder but seems like they're trying to develop him as one.

Leysy,

If I could, I'd like to hear your take on Rance thus far under Hardwick?

I had all but signed his papers, but I've seen something (not a lot) in both the Sydney & Melbourne games that has me re-thinking.

A key defender he is not, but I have seen him sell the dummy and create time, I have seen him think his way through a situation without panic and I have seen him drill some neat passes to a leading player.

Maybe, just maybe he has me thinking he might be able to find a spot suited to his best attributes and I am hopeful he may just line-up on a wing or ala the Jackson tagging role.

I think we might learn some more about young Rance this Sunday evening.

Barnzy said:
If you're referring to the goal he kicked v Melbourne, pretty clear he was centering it but it went through.

I don't think he's been selfish at all. If Morton deserves to be dropped then Tambling should've been out a week or 2 ago.

Nup, wasn't referring to that one as I've given him the benefit of the doubt on that particular one.

There have been a few other occasions this year where he hasn't though.

As previously mentioned, I don't think he applies enough defensive pressure.

Just passing on observations as to why he may have been dropped.

I think he's a downhill skier with considerable talent who may well need the wakeup call.

Despite all this, I still like him and think he has a future with us.

Only those in the know can say for sure but we all know Hardwick is trying to instil a team first mentality.

FWIW Tambling, whilst not setting the world on fire, may be following instructions but still struggling.

Morton may look better than Tambling but if he's not following team rules or chasing hard enough then I agree with him being dropped before Tambling.

If Jake King follows instructions, he may force his way back before Morton, which I have no doubt would make your day. ;D

Barnzy said:
I hope Nahas has been selected to play as a permanent FP. Pretty clear that he is not a midfielder but seems like they're trying to develop him as one.

Now that I do agree with, however I think they've thrown him into the midfield rotation ahead of time, to free up a spot up forward, so that they can introduce more newbies like Roberts, Taylor, Nason etc up forward.

If Nahas is going to make it in the midfield he needs to put on some more bulk (obvious) but I think the other thing he struggles with is being very one-sided. Some guys struggle on their opposite foot but can still handball either side. Nahas can't kick or handball on his left. IMO, until he remedies this he's limited to small forward.

One-eyed Tiger said:
Now that I do agree with, however I think they've thrown him into the midfield rotation ahead of time, to free up a spot up forward, so that they can introduce more newbies like Roberts, Taylor, Nason etc up forward.

If Nahas is going to make it in the midfield he needs to put on some more bulk (obvious) but I think the other thing he struggles with is being very one-sided. Some guys struggle on their opposite foot but can still handball either side. Nahas can't kick or handball on his left. IMO, until he remedies this he's limited to small forward
Nahas is in the same boat as Tambling when it comes to the midfield. Not robust enough for the in-and-under stuff, plus it nullifies their main attribute(speed). However once our core group is injury-free and match fit the story may well change. Foley, Cotchin, Martin, Tuck, Jackson, Deledio, Cousins etc have yet to all play together. That's when the likes of Nahas and Tambling will start cutting other teams to shreds. Much like the old Carlton mosquito fleet and little guys like Alex Marcou and Vinnie Catoggio.

Nahas is best suited in the FP roaming the packs and kicking goals.
Like Betts at Carlscum and Davis at the Pies cant see him ever making it as a midfielder.
Just let Nahas settle in as a permanent FP and let him do his thing.

btoz_01 said:
Nahas is best suited in the FP roaming the packs and kicking goals.
Like Betts at Carlscum and Davis at the Pies cant see him ever making it as a midfielder.
Just let Nahas settle in as a permanent FP and let him do his thing.

Agree there. If we get him to play that role it makes him twice as dangerous defensively as well with chase downs etc.

So who would you play on Pavlich tonight? He obviously plays on the ball quite a bit with extended stints in the Forward line at times. Just my opinion by get Lids on him and lets just have a go. Or when he goes forward let Moore move onto him.

Tubytiger said:
So who would you play on Pavlich tonight? He obviously plays on the ball quite a bit with extended stints in the Forward line at times. Just my opinion by get Lids on him and lets just have a go. Or when he goes forward let Moore move onto him.
McGuane

ZeroGame said:

What about when he is on the ball Zero - surely not. My other thought was to have Tuck just blanket him all his game time but i doubt whether he has the engine to run with him the whole game.

Tubytiger said:
What about when he is on the ball Zero - surely not. My other thought was to have Tuck just blanket him all his game time but i doubt whether he has the engine to run with him the whole game.
Not sure there's much need for Pavlich to play midfield against us, he if does then perhaps Rance may be worth a try to see what he can do seeing as he's been named as ruck rover.

Polo to go with Pavlich if there's a late change

Otherwise McGuane when he's forward, and give Martin a defensive role if he goes onto the ball

Please play Nahas in his forward role as per last year

The forward line's going to be a huge hole tonight with only Jack and inexperienced Astbury there.

TigerForce said:
The forward line's going to be a huge hole tonight with only Jack and inexperienced Astbury there.

Huge is an understatement - I wonder if Dimma would play Lids forward