Talking Politics | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Talking Politics

Some of the clips of the debate coming out have to be deep fakes, surely?
I mean there's one that has Drumpf claiming Democrats are "doing transgender operations on illegal aliens in prison"
They nearly had me at the immigrants eating American pets, but I'm not falling for that...

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
yes fair enough but whilst there is no doubt that security mechanisms over mortgages are stronger in Australia than the US there is also no doubt that a property value shock would cause massive write offs for lenders no matter what the security arrangements are.

I am not a great fan of sudden changing of the rules on investment decisions that have been made on different rules. I have an investment property in another state and I bought it on the basis of a certain economic return. Completely destroying that return and in the process destroying the value is one way to make investors in anything in this country nervous and they will flee to another safe haven, whatever that is.

I am all for moving to more socially equitable policies on housing but it needs to be done gradually and in a managed way. If it is done over time the market finds it's sweet spot and values will have a much softer landing.

Of course land tax is a state tax which would mean that the only way to do these things is in a coordinated fashion because otherwise we will just have a fight for investment between states.

I understand what you are saying, that changing the rules on the way investments are taxed needs to be phased in.

However, this is in contrast to earning from labour. Rules are changed all the time, tax rates change etc. No phasing in there. I can't see any reason why income from working can be subject to changes with no phasing in period but income from capital somehow gets this dispensation.

DS

Reactions: 1 user
Nice deflection from the real issues which is immigration, the lack of housing and the overall cost of housing to build. The amount of new property taxes state ALP have put in is criminal from a developers perspective.

I’m a union member and I understand that I need to be more productive and that my pay rise needs to be on the cusp of what inflation is otherwise it forever stays high. Then interest rates stay high.

If you want real wage growth have less overseas workers coming in and see businesses compete for workers.

I was replying to your posting of a graph about real wages, so, you are the one deflecting here. If your post was about housing shortages, immigration etc you may have a point, but it wasn't.

As for the productivity argument, that one fails in the face of productivity rising by more than wages, something which has happened for decades, and has been much worse in the USA where real wages have not risen since the 1970s. Not to mention the fact that the profit share of income has been rising, at the expense of wages.

Is it any wonder that real wages have gone backwards when the wage share of income has dropped? This is why we need stronger trade unions, because the power has shifted in the labour market in favour of employers and they benefit from this by increasing their share of income. I will add one rider on this though - we really need to break down the profit share of income into profit and economic rent - it is the case that the finance sector, which makes profit from economic rent, has increased its income share and that is not measured separately.

Inflation does not have to be the result of aggregate demand being too high, it can be the result of increases in supply prices or increases in profit margins.

The inflation we saw after COVID was largely cost push inflation as opposed to demand pull inflation.

Inflation has a lot to do with income distribution (income includes all of wages, profits and economic rent). Pricing decisions are made on the basis of profitability. If suppliers judge that they can push prices up and will still sell enough of their product to increase their profits then they will do so (look at the way the supermarket duopoly has increased margins while inflation is around). Mucking around with interest rates when inflation is not caused by excess aggregate demand might fit with the delusional fairy land you find in economics text books, but it bears little relationship with reality.

DS

I understand what you are saying, that changing the rules on the way investments are taxed needs to be phased in.

However, this is in contrast to earning from labour. Rules are changed all the time, tax rates change etc. No phasing in there. I can't see any reason why income from working can be subject to changes with no phasing in period but income from capital somehow gets this dispensation.

DS
Not aware of major changes to tax rules on earning income to any great extent in recent years. We have bracket creep which is partially offset by the odd change in tax rates every now and again.

What changes are you referring to?

When did australia start firing rubber bullets and stun grenades at protesters?

• Sad
They looked like rioters to me, setting fire to stuff and throwing containers of acid......fck them
Go figure, anti war protesters throwing projectiles including acid:unsure:
The clowns need to have a good look at themselves, they’ve done irreparable damage to their movement, f***wits.

Reactions: 1 users
They looked like rioters to me, setting fire to stuff and throwing containers of acid......fck them

Yeah i really dont think its cool or effective or agree with protesting against war with violence

But rubber bullets and stun grenades in australia?

No thanks. Pouring petrol on a burning crowd IMO

Yeah i really dont think its cool or effective or agree with protesting against war with violence

But rubber bullets and stun grenades in australia?

No thanks. Pouring petrol on a burning crowd IMO

You sound like that greens senator that was blaming the police for the violence. On the news they were saying that the crowd was goading the cops into reacting for well over an hour. Doesn't sound like the cops were heavy handed like you are inferring but reacting to offences being performed by these protestors. You can see the type on the news, there are those "real" protestors that don't cover their faces, then you have the "criminal" protestors that do it to cause trouble. Guess which ones were having rubber bullets and getting stun grenades fired at them.

Did you see the protestors directly trying to push and throw things at the police horses that we just standing there, there as no movement by the cops to them, but the "protestors" (and I'll use that term lightly), we trying to push them into reacting.

Reactions: 3 users
You sound like that greens senator that was blaming the police for the violence. On the news they were saying that the crowd was goading the cops into reacting for well over an hour. Doesn't sound like the cops were heavy handed like you are inferring but reacting to offences being performed by these protestors. You can see the type on the news, there are those "real" protestors that don't cover their faces, then you have the "criminal" protestors that do it to cause trouble. Guess which ones were having rubber bullets and getting stun grenades fired at them.

Did you see the protestors directly trying to push and throw things at the police horses that we just standing there, there as no movement by the cops to them, but the "protestors" (and I'll use that term lightly), we trying to push them into reacting.
A shame a few of those officers on horseback didn’t briefly lose control of their mounts and trample a few dozen of the idiots.

Reactions: 2 users
Some of the clips of the debate coming out have to be deep fakes, surely?
I mean there's one that has Drumpf claiming Democrats are "doing transgender operations on illegal aliens in prison"
They nearly had me at the immigrants eating American pets, but I'm not falling for that...
1726111272618.jpeg

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
Me, I'm serious old school, like the old European style of sorting out rioters n soccer hooligans. Far as I'm concerned if you're stupid enough to be hovering around in the middle of the *smile* show instead of getting the *smile* out and away as quick as you can. Then you're part of the problem n bad luck when the riot squad comes rampaging through n swinging hard. Breaks up the *smile* show quick smart n no-one gets the right to whinge about copping a smack in the buccanear.

I reckon you should re-read my post.

I dont think rubber bullets and stun grenades belong in australia

Hardly a controversial or divisive POV?