Tale of the Tiger numbers | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Tale of the Tiger numbers

RFC_Official said:
You're spot on TigerForce - there's only a few more votes to be had because the numbers to have played over 50 games in the guernseys is starting to get low - some two, some one, some none at all. Tomorrow we might see the first 100% vote in No. 37...

This is why I'd rather top players retain their original number instead of dropping to the low ones.

37 - Mike Green
38 - Kev Morris....although Steve is only a season away :hihi
39 - TJ or Kella
40 - Stephen James and Kel Moore are the only players I've seen (don't know or heard of Billy Brown)
41 - Axe and Scotty Turner
42 - Honybun
43+ no one has played 50 games.

Billy Brown was a very good 2nd rover in the Bartlett era, he was fairly small but very "nippy". I liked him, not a star but pretty handy, was a 2 time Premiership player.

Iirc Geoff Raines started in #40 & graduated to #4 after a season or 2.

I'm not sure if it's still true but I think I remember once reading that Dale Weightman holds the "most games played in a number" for two numbers - 3 and 43.

23.21.159 said:
I'm not sure if it's still true but I think I remember once reading that Dale Weightman holds the "most games played in a number" for two numbers - 3 and 43.

AFL tables show: http://afltables.com/afl/stats/alltime/richmond.html

Flea played 18 games wearing #43 but Cam Howat surpassed him with 21.
Flea played 274 games wearing #3 and is in the lead but Lids is currently 3rd at 232 with Roger Dean 2nd at 245. Lids will beat them IMO.

TigerForce said:
I think the reason they haven't shown #34 is that in the stats, Hogg played 144 games and Landy 120 games, with the next being Mark Graham (!!) with 20 games. All the rest have played less than 20 games under #34 (!!!) Very strange. Is it a chance for Beano to make it his own or is it a curse.... ;D

Number 36 might be missed out also, as only Ty Zantuck played more than 50 games.
I think the snubbing of 34 sucks. Landy was a bloody good player and a lot better than some of the chumps or yet to be proven players at 32, 31, 28, 27 (Stu Maxfiled excused) or 26

Tenacious Tiges said:
I think the snubbing of 34 sucks. Landy was a bloody good player and a lot better than some of the chumps or yet to be proven players at 32, 31, 28, 27 (Stu Maxfiled excused) or 26

Agree. I reckon Hogg and Landy as the only players eligible in this poll would be around the 50-50 split.

If their SW insists on at least 4 options, then I suggest Cheese Sandwich and Chiko Roll as two fillers

I am still trying to get over Greg Tivendale, the most one sided player in the history of football, being selected as the best 32 ever. Bill Wilson's premiership, B&F and 10 state selections apparently not enough. WTF...

hutstar said:
I am still trying to get over Greg Tivendale, the most one sided player in the history of football, being selected as the best 32 ever. Bill Wilson's premiership, B&F and 10 state selections apparently not enough. WTF...

It's all about the demographic answering the poll mate. How many ppl under 30 would know how good Bill Wilson was? :)

TigerForce said:
I think the reason they haven't shown #34 is that in the stats, Hogg played 144 games and Landy 120 games, with the next being Mark Graham (!!) with 20 games. All the rest have played less than 20 games under #34 (!!!) Very strange. Is it a chance for Beano to make it his own or is it a curse.... ;D

Number 36 might be missed out also, as only Ty Zantuck played more than 50 games.

Yep skipped to 37, Michael Green wins, daylight second.

hutstar said:

What about King over Strang x 2? Both premiership players, Doug averaged 3 goals a game, including 4 in the 1932 premiership. Compare with King who was loved by many for his intensity but was limited in his ability.

BrisTiger24 said:
What about King over Strang x 2? Both premiership players, Doug averaged 3 goals a game, including 4 in the 1932 premiership. Compare with King who was loved by many for his intensity but was limited in his ability.

Also a bit distorted with wearing the #17 as Kane Johnson would have 100+ games wearing #28.

TigerForce said:
Also a bit distorted with wearing the #17 as Kane Johnson would have 100+ games wearing #28.
Its why I'd prefer players staying in the guernsey number they started off in.

hutstar said:

I thought that was nahas?

3% for Bomber!! Come on people. I never saw Merv Keane in the number 40 through his early years, but no way would Big Kel get more than James.

http://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/2016-01-31/tale-of-the-tiger-numbers-no-40

Who is the best Richmond player to have worn No. 40?

Billy Brown 27%

Kelvin Moore 11%

Stephen James 3%

Merv Keane 59%

41 presents a dilemma, Scotty Turner, much maligned when he started, much loved when he finished, or Axle Foley, again much loved by all.

Both favorites, but for mine it's Scotty Turner, always favour the big man.

TigerForce said:
3% for Bomber!! Come on people. I never saw Merv Keane in the number 40 through his early years, but no way would Big Kel get more than James.

http://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/2016-01-31/tale-of-the-tiger-numbers-no-40

Who is the best Richmond player to have worn No. 40?

Billy Brown 27%

Kelvin Moore 11%

Stephen James 3%

Merv Keane 59%

49 goals in his first season straight out of the under 19s.

Imagine a rookie doing that these days.