Standard of Umpiring? | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Standard of Umpiring?

I went to the Lions V pies game on Friday night, umpires seem confused on what to pay as a free and when not. pies seemed to get the easy ones in the 3rd 1/4 and Lions in the 4th 1/4.
Its always great to see the scum supporters suffer, even if its not your team beating them.

I'm trusting we've all jumped on Mark Fines bandwaggon. the Umpiring is about the standard of Connex (proud Richmond sponsor)

bowden4president said:
... when a player is tackled, all he needs to do is drop to his knees and dive forward and he will receive a free for in the back, even though the tackler has been dragged down in the tackle, not Pushed his opponent in the back!! Needs to be looked at IMO!! (a few commentators have mentioned it recently as well.

Good pick up.

This was initially a Sydney issue for years their good players would drop to their knees as soon as a tackle was laid & they had it perfected that rarely they would get pinned for holding the ball but rather a free for in the back.

Having watched the replay, in the game of memory there was about 4 times the Roos player diving forward with no attempt to dispose the ball, even though our tackle was side on, it was paid in the back.

RemoteTiger said:
Watch the slow mo - Grant did not use his hands to stop the backward moving King - he used his forearms and did not push but held his ground by stopping King from backing back further - King played for the free by lunging forward - the umpy did not buy it - it was not a free-kick IMO.

You're first sentence is correct a push in the back by any part of the body is a push-in-the-back - however you are allowed to prop and hold your ground on an opponent who is reversing back into you - by using your hip shoulder or forearms - but not with your hands.

One for you - was Thursfield free on Jones (i think it was) a free kick - IMO - No Thursfield was flying for a chest mark and Jones was coming back with the flight - a fair contest and collision - play on was the call - particularly in light of what happened to Richo on the wing in the Carlton game last week. I'm interested on your take on this play.......RT

Watch the slow mo (facing Northern Stand) and look at Grant's left hand on King's left part of his back.

If forearms are allowable, then this insipid rule is a complete hypocrit.

bowden4president said:
On another Stupid interpretation, It really *smile* me when a player is tackled, all he needs to do is drop to his knees and dive forward and he will receive a free for in the back, even though the tackler has been dragged down in the tackle, not Pushed his opponent in the back!! Needs to be looked at IMO!! (a few commentators have mentioned it recently as well.

Yep many cases of that. Players are being taught to buckle their knees as they are tackled from behind. It's obvious to me, not sure why its not obvious to umpires. Maybe the pressure.

ronnit said:
the umpiring overall is absolute rubbish. but it is the afls fault..bringing in all the different rules and deciding what ruke they are going to focus on each week..what a load of rubbish...moores mark was a beauty but that is one of many many bad umpiring calls over the weekend...this hands ON the back rule has to go and the PUSH in the back rule must be used as it used to be...when someone is PUSHED

yesterday at the footy some friends and i discussed how we SUPPORTERS..who actually pay for the whole thing..should sign petitions and boycott games ...maybe then the AFL will listen
Here here, my old man said the same thing to me last year, one weekend supporters of all clubs should not turn up to any games, let the AFL know that we just can't take their crap anymore, I still believe Andrew Demetriou and Adrian Anderson and maybe even the rules commitee should be charged with bringing the game into disrepute and individually fined $1,000,000 each to show that in future, no agenda seeking nazi will be allowed to ruin our game, they are paid well to do their job well, all have shown a lack of respect for the game, for the players and for the most important part, the supporters, I used to watch up to 5 games a weekend, now I only watch my team cause it's just so boring and frustrating to watch other teams, if my team ever folded, football would be finished as far as I was concerned!

The umpires did ruined our game and will continue to riun all the games :help
Our Tiges had decent passages of play, but stupid umpiring decisions stopped 'potential' momentum of getting back into the match, the ball turned over and back came Nth, again. :pullhair

Tigers got a few gift frees also - the one Richo got for in the back when no one touched him as he lept early over Roos defender was a joke of the highest order and got the tiges a free goal.

Umpiring accross the board is disgraceful they are missing other things like marks, shepherds and other frees cos they are too busy looking for the BS Tiggy Touchwood ones especially in pack situations.

it appears to me that the tigers are still being screwed by the umpires on a weekly basis.

Some terrible non paid pushes in the back in forward 50 at Richmond cheersquad end.

Club should approach them this week - umpires can't say we are making excuses - we actually won this week.

Umpiring like last night could cost us a win next week

Redford said:
Who was that bald headed umpire ? No. 15. He was a disgrace.

If your talking about the knob who was eating grass at one stage after being smashed by Tuck it is Mathew Nicholls.

Another puzzling display by the umps - all those centre square infringements and holding off the ball decisions - we rarely see replays - seem to be arbitrary and unless we are absolute twits it astounds me why they sem to go about 80-20 against us.

Classic conundrum was Brock Mclean turned around twice in a tackle and then allowed to handball. Then Polak picks up the ball, gets one armed pinned and falls over the boundary line with the ball - consensus was holding the ball but how - had no prior opportunity and did not dispose of the ball incorrectly.

So many dives on the ball and scooping in by demon player not paid - it seems spirit of the game applies to our opponents and letter of the law applies to tiges in umpiring interpretations.

#15 was particularly bad yesterday, from what I remember there was only one holding the ball decision throughout the whole game, and that was to Brad Miller for his weak tackle on Polak.

We had one free kick for the whole second half.

One!!

I need at least ten just to keep my paranoia at bay. Looks like a week of serious self-medication coming up.

Funny, you know.

My son has taken up umpiring this season, for the first time, in the MSJFL. Seems to have taken to it like a duck to water. Now, half-way through the season he is umpiring boys the same age, if not older.

Over the early weeks, as he was learning, he tended to be very protective of the umpires. Now that he is more confident, he points out every good & bad decision that the umpires make & why.

Yesterday, he was very vocal about every poor decision that was made by the umpires. He said the match wouldn't have been that hard to umpire, yet there were many mistakes made by them. The umpires either don't know the rules or mis-interpret them very badly.

He likes Richmond, for my sake, though now he doesn't barrack for any team. He said we got the rough end of it.

TOT70 said:

One!!

I need at least ten just to keep my paranoia at bay. Looks like a week of serious self-medication coming up.

That is just not right. I wonder whether it partly had something to do with the umpy getting turfed by Tucky. revenge is best had cold so to speak. Problem was, it wasn't even Tucky's fault. :mad:

TOT70 said:

One!!

Melb had 9 free kicks to our 1 after halftime!

Although, the second half petering out of the team had more to do with them running out of gas rather than the poor umpiring.

The defenders of umpires will claim "they can only pay what is there".

But I prefer to ask this question........ "Is it possible for the worst side in the competition to play a half of footy and only infringe the rules once"? According to the green martians they can.