Should we trade for a "leader?" | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Should we trade for a "leader?"

Panthera Tigris said:
I'll take a stab here and say that I think Dustin Martin will overtake Cotchin in the leadership stakes over the next couple of seasons.

For a young kid he just seems to have so much composure, class and get up and go. He's only a coule of years younger than Cotchin, so could we potentially see him as a future RFC captain?... When he's a bit older of course.
Not sure Martin has strong leadership qualities, he is a bit too hot headed for it. Wouldn't say the kid is dumb, but I think Cotchin has him covered in the intelligence stakes also.

tigerjoe said:
Could we possibly throw everything at Joel selwood?
i live in geelong and selwood would be half the player at richmond, deledio at geelong would be in champion mode by now

As much as the club is crying out for on field leadership, we just cannot give away any draft picks - not at the start of a rebuild.

Jack Riewoldt looks to me like a bloke who can lead and direct people.
Saw him a cuppla times at Coburg last year organising the forward line and encouraging those around him.
He'll be our next leader as he has cuppla years on Cotch.
Deledio hasn't got leadership written on him at all.
At the moment Newy has the job for this year and next.

Streak said:
Actually we will be showing one of our best leaderts the door at seasons end.

Jordan McMahon will be leading about 9 others out of the club.

Right now, I don't reckon that any other player on our list could claim this sort of following.
:hihi :clap
How is good ol' McMuffin going in the 2's anyway?

Giardiasis said:
I think he will become well acquainted with evening trips to AFL headquarters.

That would be more because of his aggressive game-style ie get the ball at any costs than being hot-headed. I think his mentaility is great, wish more Tigers were like him.

So after Juddas leads the scum to big wins over the cats and aints......

We still shouldn't try to entice a leader to come over?

tigerjoe said:
So after Juddas leads the scum to big wins over the cats and aints......

We still shouldn't try to entice a leader to come over?

Of course not. One player doesn't win you premierships, a team with depth will. Let's not forget Carlton cheated to get Judd - as is typical of Carlton.

I see Dustin Martin as a Roy Keane (legendary Man United skipper) type to be honest, even at 18 yrs old. Absolutely single minded and driven to victory at all cost.

wayne said:
Maybe we should have tried to grab Ball?!?

Why would you want another player into the side who can't kick? Got more than enough of them already...

Djevv said:
No! An AFL standard ruckman however..................

Agree. Carlton with Kruezer, Warnock, Jacobs & Hampson are surely a target. All young and all with ability. Would think the first 2 are untouchable but the others would be looking for consistent senior football. No chance they can hang on to all 4 for an extended period.

Plenty reckoned Cousins came with impressive and valuable leadership qualities.  I'd prefer to develop leadership from within.  Considering a change of club also brings a change of circumstances the gradually developed leadership skills mightn't successfully transfer, or be as beneficial,  to a new group.

Also I can't imagine a club trading a top leader for one of our players.