Should we trade for a "leader?" | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Should we trade for a "leader?"

Bill James said:
No, trading has killed us, keep drafting and turning over duds, a leader will appear.

Yep stay on track with the way we're going a leader will come with time and experience

tigerjoe said:
Could we possibly throw everything at Joel selwood?

good suggestion. he is one of the very few young great leaders in the comp worth even dreaming about. cooney would be another

murphy kreuzer or gibbs would have been handy. why couldn't we have just tanked 2 years in a row when we had to

In all honesty we all know the pain we are going to go through over the next couple of years. I would personally NOT recruit a leader and look at our current list and see which players stand up and lead. This will take time.

This way to me is how new cultures and new successful eras start.

Yes currently Cotchin stands out but as previous posts to young still to take over.

great suggestion that makes sense...maybe bowden and brown should of stayed on..as there are just to many inexperienced kids out there..it must be tough for them.. i see no quality leadership at the club..newman is okay but nothing outstanding..simmo and tambling are useless.. cuz is gone and dimma is just okay at present as well..
a couple of top quality experience young-middle aged stars brought in could be awesome, look what judd has done ..he brought the standard up and brought those around him into the game

Geez - seven rounds in and we are all looking for short cuts. We are in no position to attract such a leader or player ... yet. We all knew that improvement would come from games in these kids - and it takes time. We just have to wait this out. As we establish a decent playing list, we'll know when the time is right to rig up the large lure and head out into deep water for that big fish. We're not at that point yet.

We are in the worst possible position to trade. Other clubs know we are crying out for leadership. Not a good position to start negotiating from

If your looking at Geelong for Leadership forget about Selwood he would cost you an arm and a leg in Draft picks and coin. You would be much better picking up someone like Max Rooke, he's not going to cost you much and you know he leads from the front. That guy would step infront of train for his team mates, thats the type of player we need.

marsinvenus said:
Get 40,000 members to chuck in $10 each, chuck the $400,000 on top of $600,000 and have a crack at Ablet

Think maybe Geelong would want something in return?

Just a question. Out of all the clubs in the league, how many have captains who have come from another club? I think the result of this should answer your question of whether we should trade for a leader.

Trading for a leader is a no no. If he is a leader of such he would cost to much.

Drafting leaders in is the angle we need to take, it started last year with two guys who exelled in leadership aspects in Astbury and Dea, but we need much, much more.

Trading should be to fill in pieces needed to take us to where we need to go, and I think we all agree we are well short in the ruck department and trading for a ruckman should be priority number one. There are six that I like that could be had for pretty cheap.

Tigerbob said:
Trading for a leader is a no no. If he is a leader of such he would cost to much.

Drafting leaders in is the angle we need to take, it started last year with two guys who exelled in leadership aspects in Astbury and Dea, but we need much, much more.

Trading should be to fill in pieces needed to take us to where we need to go, and I think we all agree we are well short in the ruck department and trading for a ruckman should be priority number one. There are six that I like that could be had for pretty cheap.

Who are the 6 Tiberbob? Would Hampson from the Blues be one?

tigerlee said:
Who are the 6 Tiberbob? Would Hampson from the Blues be one?

No he wouldn't be, the Blues would want too much. There are others there on lists that do not get a real good run that would be worth getting to know know in terms of attitude and willingness to leave their clubs to become the number one ruck at our club.

Tigerbob said:
No he wouldn't be, the Blues would want too much. There are others there on lists that do not get a real good run that would be worth getting to know know in terms of attitude and willingness to leave their clubs to become the number one ruck at our club.

thanks Bobby - I was hoping that you would say that. There is a guy at work that says they will probably trade him at years end as they don't need him and I was not sure if we would be interested. We seem to pick some young rucks that just are not quite going to make it. Hope we don't keep repeating that mistake.

tungman said:
Yes currently Cotchin stands out but as previous posts to young still to take over.

I'll take a stab here and say that I think Dustin Martin will overtake Cotchin in the leadership stakes over the next couple of seasons.

For a young kid he just seems to have so much composure, class and get up and go. He's only a coule of years younger than Cotchin, so could we potentially see him as a future RFC captain?... When he's a bit older of course.