Should Daniel Rioli be given the number 17 this year? | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Should Daniel Rioli be given the number 17 this year?

Should Daniel Rioli be given the number 17 this year?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I'd give him a higher number until he earns a place as a mainstay in the firsts. At that point, I'd say a resounding yes to him gaining the no.17. No doubt would be a thrill for him to look at his locker before each game and seeing "M.Rioli" amongst the list of past tenants.

Panthera Tigris said:
I'd give him a higher number until he earns a place as a mainstay in the firsts. At that point, I'd say a resounding yes to him gaining the no.17. No doubt would be a thrill for him to look at his locker before each game and seeing "M.Rioli" amongst the list of past tenants.

I agree with that, he has more than enough expectation on him.

Flossy can keep it warm for him.

Yes, give him no. 17 straight away mainly because of Grandpa Moz wearing it. Jack Dyer wasn't the only one wearing or owning it.

Keep it free for now and let him earn it. Should be treated like any other draftee. Once he is proven, just like the other kids, then upgrade his number (and of course 17 would be great PR)

Not thinking it through properly before, when we drafted the kid I said yes.

Now I'm in the Tony Braxton camp. I had forgotten about Maurice's son who should get his dad's number to wear. Until then the No 17 remains as it is in place for him.

He will have enough pressure having the surname without having the added pressure.

The excitement though and the expectation of one day having both Rioli's in the forward line terrorising defenders will be awesome! Can't wait. For now , no need to heap more pressure on Daniel. Let him make his number his!!!!

zgod said:
How old is Maurice jnr? Is he any good?

Someone suggested he will be in the 2018 draft, yes he is apparently very good, its also been suggested he should come to Victoria as Cyril and Daniel did early to acclimatize to a big city and weather etc.. These are only repeats of what i have read as i know little about him.

tigerlove said:
Will he be getting captain's cap already?

Not be silly, hasn't even walked through the front door yet
... vice captain.

There is enough pressure on the kid already, I think Dimma's mantra is to earn your number or something, so give him a higher number just like most others recently.

waiting said:
Not thinking it through properly before, when we drafted the kid I said yes.

Now I'm in the Tony Braxton camp. I had forgotten about Maurice's son who should get his dad's number to wear. Until then the No 17 remains as it is in place for him.

He will have enough pressure having the surname without having the added pressure.

The excitement though and the expectation of one day having both Rioli's in the forward line terrorising defenders will be awesome! Can't wait. For now , no need to heap more pressure on Daniel. Let him make his number his!!!!
Knowing our luck we'll get totally raped in the bidding process for that father/son selection ::). We finally start getting the benefit of some decent father/son prospects and the father/son system has been watered down ridiculously.

A thought though. Bloody oath it gets confusing tracking family trees when generations cross over like that. You'd just hope they keep track of it so no one shags the wrong person, or you might start looking like a European royal family.

Tony Braxton-Hicks said:
No. Let him earn it, and keep the pressure off him.

We might also need to keep 17 for Maurice Jnr in 2020.

+1