Saturday Twilight Game | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Saturday Twilight Game

K3 said:
End up with hungry kids, not home in time for dinner, rushing baths and bed and homework etc. Just carp.

We just get take away fish and chips or McDs for our grand kids when we take them.

Haven't worked out an attractive recipe for carp, hate the taste with a passion.

1.10 Sunday games are great for out of towners.Wish we had more fixtured.

Ian4 said:
Collingwood fans seemed to like the Saturday twilight timeslot. 62,000 against an interstate team on a freezing day.

A mate of mine (Pies fan), was at the game and he said he couldnt believe the amount of Eagles fans at the game. He reckons there were minimum 15K there.

JR8 said:
A mate of mine (Pies fan), was at the game and he said he couldnt believe the amount of Eagles fans at the game. He reckons there were minimum 15K there.

They commented as much on radio is boom state wa, plenty of money there whats $1000 round trip bw friends

I've got my cynicism hat on, so apologies up front, but I don't believe it matters a jot what we 'request' or otherwise.

This absurd variation in the 2012 game start times was thrashed out by squabbling TV execs, with the AFL's corporate brigade in attendance, with club preferences running a distant third. Where does that leave us? You guessed it - absolutely nowhere.

As a regional supporter and media worker (during the evening), the twilight starts make it impossible for me to attend. They also rule out various members (young and old) from my extended family.

But it matters not. Broadcasting rights and advertising returns take precedence over spectators, so we'll learn to live with it and our membership payments to RFC become more like donations every year.

Ian4 said:
Collingwood fans seemed to like the Saturday twilight timeslot. 62,000 against an interstate team on a freezing day.

Yes yes, we all know the pies have a lot of supporters, but to put things in perspective... It was a bigger crowd compared to when we played them in early spring in round 2...

More Saturday twilight games for Richmond in 2013 please :fing32

Was at the game. Was at least 20k eagles fans. Was crazy.

tigs2010 said:
Was at the game. Was at least 20k eagles fans. Was crazy.

Yep I went to our game against the Eagles and was shocked at the amount of fans they had at the game.

EJC said:
As a regional supporter and media worker (during the evening), the twilight starts make it impossible for me to attend. They also rule out various members (young and old) from my extended family.

i don't get it. how does a 4:40pm start on a saturday make it impossible for people who live in regional areas to attend? OK, i acknowledge it might be harder for you EJC because of your work... but generally speaking, a 7:30pm finish shouldn't be too late even for people who have a 2-3 hour drive home (if you live that far away). its certainly much better compared to night games.

just to kill the boredom, I thought this deserved a bump just to I can reiterate my stance that I love Saturday twilight games and that it really annoys me that this is our only one of the season. infact, I'd go as far to say that I would love to see 1 of the 3 Sunday games moved so we can have 2 Saturday twilight games (or at least an extra Saturday afternoon 2pm game).

just about the biggest thing that annoys me about the draw is that every time the AFL schedules a match on a Thursday or a public holiday, they always move one of the Saturday afternoon games to that slot. if one of the Sunday games is permanently moved to Saturday, the pros are:
- it lessens the impact on Saturday when there are Thursday/public holiday matches as there will still be enough footy on this day to keep us interested.
- it will be far easier to do the draw logistically with an extra Saturday game as it will virtually eliminate teams from having back to back 6 day breaks - like we have in the next 2 weeks (This is why they have added a 6th Saturday game to round 23 in recent years).
- People prefer to go on a Saturday instead of Sunday, so this should help boost crowd numbers (they brought in free entry for kids and kick to kick post game on Sundays to try and boost crowd numbers).

Tony Braxton-Hicks said:
Whatever time they schedule will always be Tiger time for me.

same for me, but I have been a strong and vocal critic of the direction of the game in recent years, and taking the supporters for granted has been a key issue. we love Saturday afternoon and hate Sunday. that's reality.

Tony Braxton-Hicks said:
Whatever time they schedule will always be Tiger time for me.

Bang on - 3am - Im there !!! ;D

I have convinced the wife and kids (under 10) for a lunchtime walk down either Bridge Rd or Swan St, a quick bit and they head home. I then hope to catch the 2ns half of the reserved at Punt Road then walk across to see if we can do the double on Freo. Been a LOOOOOONG time since we can claim defeating multiple teams twice in a year.

I adore Saturday twilight games as a country supporter. For me to get to an afternoon game on a Saturday I need to leave by 10am and I get home around 7pm so its a really full day. A night game I need to leave about 4pm, and I get home after midnight.

At 4:40pm I don't need to rush, I can have lunch and leave at around 1:30pm, and I'm home at a reasonable time at 10pmish. It's so much more convenient, and it's a real shame we don't get more twilight Saturday games.

I'm still not a huge fan of the twilight game, but I prefer it to the night game. Different strokes I guess.

I like Saturday twilight games. Finishes at a reasonable time so can get on the turps at the social club and finish off across at the Royal! :rofl

Tigertool said:
I adore Saturday twilight games as a country supporter. For me to get to an afternoon game on a Saturday I need to leave by 10am and I get home around 7pm so its a really full day. A night game I need to leave about 4pm, and I get home after midnight.

At 4:40pm I don't need to rush, I can have lunch and leave at around 1:30pm, and I'm home at a reasonable time at 10pmish. It's so much more convenient, and it's a real shame we don't get more twilight Saturday games.
Agree.
And (ideally after a win) it's a chance to casually wander back into the city and have a coupla drinks before catching the train home. The only issue then is to avoid dozing before getting to our station!

Sunday games interfere with junior football commitments so I prefer a twilight game if it has to be Sunday.

Saturday twilight interferes with Mrs BHs dinner party plans so that's a win too.

Im Flying home on Saturday then straight to the G Lets Go Tigers

I don't like twilight games!

If it was an early or normal start time I'd be there but we have a dinner appointment so can't go.

Much prefer the 1:40 or 2:10 starts.