Saturday Twilight Game | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Saturday Twilight Game

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
With the 4:40pm start this week, What do people think about playing home games in the Saturday twilight timeslot? Personally I think it's a big winner...

Firstly, unless you live outside of metro melbourne - it's not too late for families and there is no school the next day.

Secondly, a 7:30pm finish is still early enough to hang around town for dinner/drinks and still have time to get public transport home if you so wish.

And finally, 2:00pm is a little early to have a beer at the game for some, especially if you have plans for a late night after a game.

I guess my query is that... Would you support the club in requesting more Saturday twilight home games in the coming years to make the slot our own?

The only negative I can see is that this timedslot is broadcasted exclusively on fox... But we could always request these games be played against the teams less likely to attract FTA coverage (ie. Games against the interstate teams). But on the other side of the coin, a semi regular timeslot for home games can make it easier for fans to plan around, hence increasing crowd numbers...

Anyway, opinions...?

I like 4.40, even if it's Sunday as kids' sport is over by then and you have almost the whole day to do whatever you need to do with the family, and it's not too late to get the kids into bed.

I don't mind this timeslot, it's much better than 4.40 sunday at etihad.

Channel 7 have missed the boat with this timeslot IMO. Reason being most suburban football matches finish at this time where the people at these games then retire to the social club for after match drinks, most footy clubs have tv's so wouldn't it be better ratings wise to have a live game on instead of a replay game when people know who won anyway.

It would also provide a perfect lead in to the sat night game.

Twilight Saturday is better than on Sunday.

Forget the talls on Saturday coz it's gunna be a wet afternoon.

This is my favourite time slot by far. For me, day games start between 5.30 and 6.30 am - too early to get up on a Saturday. Night games start at about 11.30 am, which is smack bang in the middle of the day and often clashes with something else. 4.40 pm for me is 8.40 am - ideal time to get up and start watching the footy!

23.21.159 said:
This is my favourite time slot by far. For me, day games start between 5.30 and 6.30 am - too early to get up on a Saturday. Night games start at about 11.30 am, which is smack bang in the middle of the day and often clashes with something else. 4.40 pm for me is 8.40 am - ideal time to get up and start watching the footy!

well, thats sorted then. Its very important we look after our European based fans. :D

I like the 4.40pm time on a Saturday. It gives you enough time to get kids sporting comittments out of the way and still have plenty of time to get to the footy.

Ian4 said:
With the 4:40pm start this week, What do people think about playing home games in the Saturday twilight timeslot? Personally I think it's a big winner...

Firstly, unless you live outside of metro melbourne - it's not too late for families and there is no school the next day.

Secondly, a 7:30pm finish is still early enough to hang around town for dinner/drinks and still have time to get public transport home if you so wish.

And finally, 2:00pm is a little early to have a beer at the game for some, especially if you have plans for a late night after a game.

I guess my query is that... Would you support the club in requesting more Saturday twilight home games in the coming years to make the slot our own?

The only negative I can see is that this timedslot is broadcasted exclusively on fox... But we could always request these games be played against the teams less likely to attract FTA coverage (ie. Games against the interstate teams). But on the other side of the coin, a semi regular timeslot for home games can make it easier for fans to plan around, hence increasing crowd numbers...

Anyway, opinions...?

Don't like it. Like Sunday twilight it alienates regional people.

Does it even more so than selling games interstate! ;D

Going to footy with my small boy, afternoon is better than twilight, and twilight is better than night.

Tony Braxton-Hicks said:
I like 4.40, even if it's Sunday as kids' sport is over by then and you have almost the whole day to do whatever you need to do with the family, and it's not too late to get the kids into bed.

My kids play sport at 4.45 pm every Saturday. It sucked then. It sucks more now.

TigerForce said:
Twilight Saturday is better than on Sunday.

Agree. Saturday Twilight is my favourite. Straight out for dinner or drinks afterwards.

The train ride on the way home from a Sunday twighlight is like a wake. Everyone knows the weekend is over.

Coming from the provinces, I prefer the afternoon start to the twilight but at least Saturday twilight beats Sunday twilight. I take my grand-kids (from Briagolong and Traralgon South) for at least one game a year and usually select a Saturday or Sunday afternoon game so they can get back home at a reasonable time.

Good timing, especially with kids sport/activities on Saturday morning and early afternoon. Game finishes early enough to get the kids home for usual bedtime as well.

Great time for me as a Gen Y, i can have my sat morning sleep in, do a bit of shopping, head to the game, come home and get ready to go out. Wouldnt have it any other way.