Round 8-The other games | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Round 8-The other games

GoodOne said:
I have x-factor nightmares.

The Martin pick was the right one for us given our chronic lack of quality disposers by foot & strong bodied mids but I'm merely commenting on Morrabito.
It's pretty clear already that he's no JoN Goodies. Will be a very good player IMO.

zippadeee said:
yeah last year they won 7-8 in a row then got slapped, too many recievers.. go catters!!!
If Collingwood is the real deal, it just shows how many sh!t sides are going around!

Agree...there are just not that many good sides atm.

Teams like dogs, saints and syd pace themselves at this stage of the season generally. filth look impressive at the moment, and play something like 17 games at the G this year. Haven't really had a big injury to speak of...

So far so good.
Have the Pies again as the Highest score for the round with us having the lowest.
Halfway there to winning $6400. ;D

mb64 said:
Agree,hoping the Pies will fall apart in September but I'm not sure they will.
True that, June premiers, September chokers. Well here's praying. Hate them with a passion.

mb64 said:
Agree,hoping the Pies will fall apart in September but I'm not sure they will.

C'mon mb tell us the Pies have the premiership in the bag. They can't lose. They are guaranteed to hold the cup up. Absolute certainties. A bit of jinxing can't hurt the cause.

Collingwood are looking really good and are so incredibly even across the board but they are leaking too many points. Need to really tighten up in defence if they want to take down the likes of Geelong and St Kilda in September. Still, very good signs if you are Collingwood fan and yet another example of how bottoming out (15th in 05') can help a team rebuild.

As for Freo, tried hard but not good enough yet to mix it with the best. Moribato is a likely type but his kicking does let him down.

One of Clokes very few good games.

Big fan of that Harry Obrien, also Roger Hayden from Freo. Strong half back flanks who hardly ever make a mistake , or fall over and have strong hands are worth their weight in gold.

mexican_radio said:
In the first quarter, a free was paid to Freo, they played on (assuming "advantage") and kicked a goal. Then the umpire steps in and says "no no no" and enforces the original free kick.
When this happened to Richmond (I think it was Joel Bowden) and he MISSED the goal, the umpire decided it WAS advantage and the point stood. I never understood that decision and it costs us dearly. Almost, but not quite, as terrible as the INFAMOUS Richo hands on the back free and 50m penalty.

Anyway, I digress. The advantage rule is confusing and cost Freo a goal and quite a lot of momentum.

The advantage rule is always going to be confusing until they train the umpires to not blow the whistle unless they are awarding a free kick. Get them to watch a good ref in a game of rugby union.

The sequence needs to be:
1. Penalty 2. Play on until the offending team gets an advantage from the penalty. 3. Whistle.

Instead of this we have :

1. Penalty. 2. Whistle

3. Offender believes he has advantage and plays on (Richo vs Michael) and gives away 50m.

or 3. Offender stops because of the whistle and the umpire calls "play on advantage" giving an additional reward if the player with the ball doesn't stop at the whistle.

evo said:
One of Clokes very few good games.

Big fan of that Harry Obrien, also Roger Hayden from Freo. Strong half back flanks who hardly ever make a mistake , or fall over and have strong hands are worth their weight in gold.

Agree, was never wrapt in O'brien but he's been fantastic this year. Still question his and Maxwell's ability to play as a KD. But as HBF you add Shaw and you have some real talent in that backline.

Hayden has been a favourite of mine for a long time, classy player.

Who do we have who can become these types? Moore? Dea? Connors? Webberly?

YinnarTiger said:
The advantage rule is always going to be confusing until they train the umpires to not blow the whistle unless they are awarding a free kick. Get them to watch a good ref in a game of rugby union.

The sequence needs to be:
1. Penalty 2. Play on until the offending team gets an advantage from the penalty. 3. Whistle.

Bingo, I've said this for years but I've actually heard someone connected with the game (can't remember who) state that they don't think its feasible, which to me is ridiculous.

zippadeee said:
VFL player always will be an VFL player,
silvangi shocking,
Mcphee vomit
Hasbey- couglans brother
barlow- tiucks brother
The Freo bandwagon has broken down,

collingwood an even side by still has alot front runners, will be caught out against real tough sides like geelong and stkilda

Barlow was their best by a mile.

Jack Watts is not up to AFL level yet and that means he shouldn't have been no1. Geez he just runs at half pace and doesn't have the determination to win the footy. You can teach the things he lacks but he actually
looks like he doesn't want to be there. They should play him down back.

hellenictiger said:
Jack Watts is not up to AFL level yet and that means he shouldn't have been no1. Geez he just runs at half pace and doesn't have the determination to win the footy. You can teach the things he lacks but he actually
looks like he doesn't want to be there. They should play him down back.

I disagree, I think hes shown a few things today, has great hands and has provided them a target at various stages, will only get better.

IanG said:
Bingo, I've said this for years but I've actually heard someone connected with the game (can't remember who) state that they don't think its feasible, which to me is ridiculous.

Geischen said on radio they wanted the whistle blown to show the crowd that the free kick had been picked up. It was one of the more ludicrous statements I had ever heard. Someone asked why they don't pay advantage in a marking contest if the player marking the ball is on the same team as the player infringed and he gave the same excuse and added that anyway it is not up to the umpires to determine which of the two players is a better kick so they always give it to the player who was infringed.