Round 8 Changes v Hawks | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Round 8 Changes v Hawks

Gotta admit that I am only just working my way through the replay of Sundays game v Crows (not eagerly anticipating the last qu I can tell you). But I thought Vickery's first qu was about the worst display I've seen by a Richmond player this year. He was uncompetitive to the point of being completely counter-productive. Unless he grew into the game a bit - I wouldn't be averse to giving him a week at the Burgers for that lamentable show. Thoughts?

That said, I thought Polak offered far more around the ground than Simmo had. Worth persisting with the mobile ruckman role for a little while I would have thought.

hopper said:
Gotta admit that I am only just working my way through the replay of Sundays game v Crows (not eagerly anticipating the last qu I can tell you). But I thought Vickery's first qu was about the worst display I've seen by a Richmond player this year. He was uncompetitive to the point of being completely counter-productive. Unless he grew into the game a bit - I wouldn't be averse to giving him a week at the Burgers for that lamentable show. Thoughts?

That said, I thought Polak offered far more around the ground than Simmo had. Worth persisting with the mobile ruckman role for a little while I would have thought.

Vickery for who? Vikcery has to stay, we have no choice. Happy to see Vicks gaining experience. Is doing OK.

GoodOne said:
Vickery for who? Vikcery has to stay, we have no choice. Happy to see Vicks gaining experience. Is doing OK.
Browne or Simmonds? I know he needs the experience, I was just very disappointed with the way he handed Maric that first quarter dominance. With our tackling pressure and run, we could have been 2-3 goals in front at qu time if our ruckman was providing some supply.

Don't worry - I'll be far from devastated if TV is left in. Just a thought is all.

hopper said:
Browne or Simmonds? I know he needs the experience, I was just very disappointed with the way he handed Maric that first quarter dominance. With our tackling pressure and run, we could have been 2-3 goals in front at qu time if our ruckman was providing some supply.

Probably because Maric is 10kg+ heavier and can push him out with ease.

Barnzy said:
Probably because Maric is 10kg+ heavier and can push him out with ease.
Yeah i know. I just thought TV's effort was very poor as well. Just a subjective opinion.

hopper said:

Don't worry - I'll be far from devastated if TV is left in. Just a thought is all.

Im thinking I'd prefer to see Polak in rather than Simmonds at this stage. Can't really fathom a Simmonds/Polak ruck combination. Have to say I am keen to see how Browne might perform, but again, aparently not really excelling in the VFL. Our ruck stocks are dire, similar to Hawthorn, except their issue is injuries whereas ours is lack of quality.

GoodOne said:
Im thinking I'd prefer to see Polak in rather than Simmonds at this stage. Can't really fathom a Simmonds/Polak ruck combination. Have to say I am keen to see how Browne might perform, but again, aparently not really excelling in the VFL. Our ruck stocks are dire, similar to Hawthorn, except their issue is injuries whereas ours is lack of quality.

Well...

Wouldn't say that Renouf and Taylor are quality. ;)

Wouldn't mind seeing a Vickery/Browne combination soon. One (Vickery) an around the ground ruckman that can push forward. The other (Browne), a man mountain at 205cm who can hopefully dominate hitouts. Even if it's just for a few games because even though the story of Polak is great and all, he ain't going be our long-term ruckman and I don't see him as a long-term player either. I see him just treading water at the moment which I think is a waste of time.

Barnzy said:
Wouldn't say that Renouf and Taylor are quality. ;)

Yeah, notice I said that ours were lack of quality, not thirs were quality ;D

I agree with you. Both Polak and Simmonds are stop-gap measures. I just think at this stage that Polak, being younger, and a little bit more flexible in respect to where you can use him, is the better stop-gap measure until Richmond is ready to give Browne a go.

Yeah, agreed.

Only concern with Polak as a stop-gap measure is his gametime in the ruck. Looked like Vickery did the majority of the ruckwork last week against a much bigger opponent and got monstered. Polak used more around the ground to plug holes. Good experience and all but we don't want to Josh Fraser Vickery, he still needs a bit of protection as he's going up against 100kg+ monsters while he himself is 90kg.

Yep agree again. I suppose we just need to have confidence that the Richmond conditioning team have a handle on that.

Barnzy said:
Yeah, agreed.

Only concern with Polak as a stop-gap measure is his gametime in the ruck. Looked like Vickery did the majority of the ruckwork last week against a much bigger opponent and got monstered. Polak used more around the ground to plug holes. Good experience and all but we don't want to Josh Fraser Vickery, he still needs a bit of protection as he's going up against 100kg+ monsters while he himself is 90kg.

Theres an opportunity to bring Browne in and rotate Polak , TV and Andrew through, ruck, bench and forward pocket

hopper said:
Maric is 24 years old in his 6th year of AFL, he didn't even play in his first season and played only 14 games in his first 3 years combined.
Vickery is 19 years old in his 2nd year of AFL, is up to 16 games already not even half way through his 2nd season. Maric has 12kg on him, give the kid a break.

lamb22 said:
Theres an opportunity to bring Browne in and rotate Polak , TV and Andrew through, ruck, bench and forward pocket
I see TV been a more then handy key forward in time, his agility and ability below his feet will make him very dangerous in a one on one

hopper said:
Yeah i know. I just thought TV's effort was very poor as well. Just a subjective opinion.

Improved as the game went on, collected a number of contested possessions and took a very strong mark in defence - development is the key here.

TV has the tools, just needs to bulk up and the sooner we get him to 100 games the better.

As a side note, if a guy like Blake can get away with the lowest effective kick ratio for any player to have reached 100 games then I dare say that Vickery will put guys like him to shame in a few seasons.

bullus_hit said:
Improved as the game went on, collected a number of contested possessions and took a very strong mark in defence - development is the key here.

TV has the tools, just needs to bulk up and the sooner we get him to 100 games the better.
As a side note, if a guy like Blake can get away with the lowest effective kick ratio for any player to have reached 100 games then I dare say that Vickery will put guys like him to shame in a few seasons.

But we have to be careful not to break him whilst geting there

Hope they are managing him properly, is a key spoke in our future wheel

B: Kelvin Moore, Will Thursfield, Luke McGuane
HB: Shane Tuck, Brett Deledio, Chris Newman
C: Shane Edwards, Daniel Jackson, Jeromey Webberley
HF: Dustin Martin, Jack Riewoldt, Ben Nason
F: Robin Nahas, Alex Rance, Nathan Foley
Foll: Tyrone Vickery, Trent Cotchin, Richard Tambling
I/C (from): Angus Graham, Graham Polak, Tom Hislop, Andrew Collins, Mitch Farmer, David Astbury, Matt White

In: Nathan Foley, Tom Hislop, Angus Graham, Mitch Farmer
Out: Dean Polo (suspended)