Round 11- The Other Games | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Round 11- The Other Games

LeeToRainesToRoach said:
The point is that it's OK to put the boot into us when we're down, let's see if it's good for the gander.

So we're equating Melbourne's loss to that of Tigers against Gold Coast? Please! We had 12 players who had played under 100 games, Gold Coast had 17. We lost when 10 points up with 40 seconds or so to go. We were 3 kicks in front less than 4 minutes to go. All this against a 2nd year club that hadn't won a game for the year in 14 previous goes. There's no comparison. Roos had every right to sink the boots into us that game. We deserved it.

tigerlove said:
So we're equating Melbourne's loss to that of Tigers against Gold Coast? Please! We had 12 players who had played under 100 games, Gold Coast had 17. We lost when 10 points up with 40 seconds or so to go. We were 3 kicks in front less than 4 minutes to go. All this against a 2nd year club that hadn't won a game for the year in 14 previous goes. There's no comparison. Roos had every right to sink the boots into us that game. We deserved it.

In terms of blowing games from winning positions, yeah, that's what we're doing.

We had a young side in that should've accounted for an even younger side, especially from the position we were in, and it was an embarrassment to the club. But "the worst 47 seconds in football" was an exercise in hyperbole that was designed to be a headline-grabber - would you agree?

Richmond was the next youngest side after GWS and GC in 2012. Melbourne is the ninth-youngest of 2015 and has fewer excuses.

To be fair, Roos copped his whack on the chin today.

Yeah I should point out I'm not defending our last minute against GC in that game - it was an abomination. It's just that at the time Roos was very smug in pointing out what had obviously gone wrong and the inference was it was a mistake a side of his wouldn't make. A few short years later here we are. It clearly annoyed him and he is clearly getting a glimpse into how hard it is to transform a basket case into a good team. Hint: more than just no *smile* policies and bloods culture.

tigertim said:
Yeah but Neeld decided to top up with the likes of Byrnes, Rodan, Gillies and other spuds I've already forgotten.
No. Byrnes was another one of Roos' pickups.
But your point just reiterates that Roos has a MUCH better squad than Neeld had.
So how much of any discernible improvement is down to Roos' coaching?
Which players are now better than they were before he got there?

bruntonave. said:
But your point just reiterates that Roos has a MUCH better squad than Neeld had.
Didn't Neeld have the 'dream' forward set up of Clarke and Dawes?

bruntonave. said:

No, Byrnes went to Melbourne at the end of 2012 and played seasons 2013 and half of 2014 before retiring. Roos went to Melbourne at the end of 2013 and has coached them for 2014 and this season.

But I agree with your sentiment re the quality of aplyers Neeld had compared to Roos.

tigertim said:
No, Byrnes went to Melbourne at the end of 2012 and played seasons 2013 and half of 2014 before retiring. Roos went to Melbourne at the end of 2013 and has coached them for 2014 and this season.
My apologies. I think he came in with Dawes and Rodan for 2013

tigertim said:
But I agree with your sentiment re the quality of aplyers Neeld had compared to Roos.
So, is there any evidence of Roos' coaching genius at Melbourne?

Anyone pencil in Carlton win may need to re-think.

Think it will be a tough contest.

Blues so far 3 goals in front 20 mins into the 3.