Round 1 Team Shape Up | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Round 1 Team Shape Up

BrisTiger24

Out: Chimp In: Camel
Oct 16, 2003
Brisbane
After the first couple of games there should be plenty of spots up for grabs.

The following will be locked in already subject to injury:

Vlastuin
Grimes
Deledio
Martin
Riewoldt
Cotchin
Edwards
Houli
Rance
Maric
Miles
Vickery

That leaves 10 spots up for grabs with the following fighting:

Small fwd: Lennon, Rioli, Lloyd, Short - I think Lennon has it
Tall fwd: Chaplin, Griff, McBean, Chol, Elton - Chol would be leading but can't see him playing. Who knows what's happening with McBean - Griff probably gets it with Chaplin playing back?

Small back: Conca, Morris, Hunt, Castagna - not really inspiring - who knows

Third tall back / rebounding defender: Batchelor, Broad, Markov - I reckon Broad has played the best so far

Mids: Bellis, Grigg, Moore, Townsend, Lambert, Cellis, McIntosh, Menadue - can't see Grigg missing out. Can't see how they can possibly play Bellis. Moore over Townsend for the moment and I would have Menadue in based on his first two games. Cellis needs a big NAB 3.

BrisTiger24 said:
After the first couple of games there should be plenty of spots up for grabs.

The following will be locked in already subject to injury:

Vlastuin
Grimes
Deledio
Martin
Riewoldt
Cotchin
Edwards
Houli
Rance
Maric
Miles
Vickery

That leaves 10 spots up for grabs with the following fighting:

Small fwd: Lennon, Rioli, Lloyd, Short - I think Lennon has it
Tall fwd: Chaplin, Griff, McBean, Chol, Elton - Chol would be leading but can't see him playing. Who knows what's happening with McBean - Griff probably gets it with Chaplin playing back?

Small back: Conca, Morris, Hunt, Castagna - not really inspiring - who knows

Third tall back / rebounding defender: Batchelor, Broad, Markov - I reckon Broad has played the best so far

Mids: Bellis, Grigg, Moore, Townsend, Lambert, Cellis, McIntosh, Menadue - can't see Grigg missing out. Can't see how they can possibly play Bellis. Moore over Townsend for the moment and I would have Menadue in based on his first two games. Cellis needs a big NAB 3.
24 capable players chasing the last 10 places, newly found depth, regular players under pressure to fix skill errors and lift.
The VFL games should be rippers this year as these guys push for senior spots
And most of the 24 have at least a few "special" skills that would fit comfortably into the Tigers team.
Play great or play VFL

As it stands for round 1 I think it will look something like this..

Vlastuin Rance Broad
Conca Grimes Houli
McIntosh Martin B Ellis
Deledio Riewoldt Lennon
Rioli Vickery ShEdwards

R: Maric Miles Cotchin

IC: Townsend Grigg Menadue C Ellis

Em: Griffiths, Batchelor, Chaplin

Reckon Broad will get picked for the first game as our 2nd tall back. He'll go much better with Rance in the side.

Note you have included Morris as a possible. Yesterday, after a stellar display by the Tigers he managed 1 kick, 1 handball and one mark. Not exactly a "pick me" performance. Maybe we could put him in to do his now famous star jump??

Chol is a rookie and won't be elevated. Project player who will be put in the vfl for 2016.
Rioli is not ready and won't play Round 1
Can't see us playing Rance as the only key back with Grimes and Broad as back up. Astbury or Chaplin will play

Tigers of Old said:

Vlastuin Rance Broad
Conca Grimes Houli
McIntosh Martin B Ellis
Deledio Riewoldt Lennon
Rioli Vickery ShEdwards

Reckon Broad will get picked for the first game as our 2nd tall back. He'll go much better with Rance in the side.
I'd swap Broad and Rioli in your Emergencies for Batchelor and Chaplin. Not saying that I necessarily agree with it, but that's the way I think they'll select the team. We're too conservative in team selections to go with 2 newbies when experienced, hardened players are available. I'd personally like to see Rioli get some VFL games into him before putting him in the senior side. It will only benefit him long term.

Tigers of Old said:

Vlastuin Rance Broad
Conca Grimes Houli
McIntosh Martin B Ellis
Deledio Riewoldt Lennon
Rioli Vickery ShEdwards

Good team TOO. But I think Batchelor still plays ahead of Broad.

I like Moore. Think he needs to play to help our gun midfielders spend more time forward.

Still think Chaplin will play. Question is - who misses out?

My guess....

Vlastuin. Rance. Grimes.

Conca. Astbury. Houli.

B.Ellis. Martin. McIntosh.

Deledio. Riewoldt. Lennon.

Edwards. Vickery. Chaplin.

R. Maric, Cotchin, miles.

I. Grigg, CEllis, Townsend/Moore, Menadue.

Found inside Hardwick's glove box.

Morris Rance Batchelor
Hunt Grimes Houli
KMac Miles B Ellis
Newman Moore Griff Townsend
Conca Griff Jack Griff Chaplin

Maric Shed Thomas Cotchin

Int Martin Lids Grigg Ty Chol

tha8ball said:
My guess....

Vlastuin. Rance. Grimes.

Conca. Astbury. Houli.

B.Ellis. Martin. McIntosh.

Deledio. Riewoldt. Lennon.

Edwards. Vickery. Chaplin.

R. Maric, Cotchin, miles.

I. Grigg, CEllis, Townsend/Moore, Menadue.

Pretty close to the mark. I think Lambert will probably play before one of the kids. Lloyd remains a chance plus Hardwick has a hard on for Griff.

Tigers of Old said:

Vlastuin Rance Broad
Conca Grimes Houli
McIntosh Martin B Ellis
Deledio Riewoldt Lennon
Rioli Vickery ShEdwards

i think that is pretty close. I'll be stoked if Chaplin doesn't play.

Maybe Lambert instead of Rioli.

Tigers of Old said:

Vlastuin Rance Broad
Conca Grimes Houli
McIntosh Martin B Ellis
Deledio Riewoldt Lennon
Rioli Vickery ShEdwards

good side. Also, if Chol's form continues, just needs a little bit of improvement and consistency (he's consistent so far but its a small sample!) and he's an instant best 26-28, or instant fringe tall who will be elevated before mid year!

The only negative from the pre season is Chaplin. If he becomes a fringe player, which he should unless he improves, could be a problem for structure, but shouldn't be.

Tigersnake you comment that the team selected was a good one but what has Rioli done in two preseason matches to justify selection?

Yep yandb - it's great that Daniel and Connor are showing good signs, but those expecting them picked round one are sure to be disappointed. You'll see a couple of the bigger mature new bodies in but not much more. Here's my stab at it - positions are nominal.

Vlastuin Rance Broad
Chaplin Grimes Houli
McIntosh Martin B Ellis
Deledio Riewoldt Lennon
Griffiths Vickery ShEdwards

IC: Townsend Grigg Batchelor Conca

Good news is that we will have more run off the back, more grunt in the middle and more silk in the forward line. Looks very promising so far.

yandb said:
Tigersnake you comment that the team selected was a good one but what has Rioli done in two preseason matches to justify selection?

Kicked a goal. And created a vibe

I think we will take a bit from west coast by trying to win the ball in the midfield and lock it in the forward line and also going smaller and more mobile in defence.

Rance. Grimes Batchelor. Broad Flossy. Conca. Houli.

I've named 7 as we usually start with 7 down back. All are mobile and we will rely on keeping the ball in our forward half for longer and not rely on tall immobile backmen. Wce style.

No room for chapstick or *smile*. But they might try and have chapstick in the forward half who they can throw back if desperate. .. really desperate.