RFC is spineless! | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

RFC is spineless!

ninjahaha said:
Seen it many many times in 20 years. Just cannot understand how we have never been able to change it. Its way past laughable after 33 years unfortunately.

It must be bad when you're posting relatively negative things ;D

There is a psychological problem with the entire team. When it counts the tiges go to water!

Insipid performance tonight.

BT Tiger said:
It must be bad when you're posting relatively negative things ;D

There is a psychological problem with the entire team. When it counts the tiges go to water!

Insipid performance tonight.

Relatively two years finals was a major achievement for our club.

Normally its finals or 9th then 11 seasons to climb from last back to 10th.

It gave me some cause for cautious optimism.

If we had a close to full list Id still think we had a decent chance for the next 4 weeks. But with our current injury list we need divine intervention!

ninjahaha said:

If we had a close to full list Id still think we had a decent chance for the next 4 weeks. But with our current injury list we need divine intervention!

I think the whole club needs it. Please footy gods, spare us from the misery!

Jetboy said:
Tonight's debacle wasn't due to our tackling, or even our want of trying....it was due to the most deplorable display of basic skills that I've seen from a senior AFL side in 20 years...it was laughable at times

In fact I can only think of one other such terrible performance in that time, and it was...oh, gee, it was Rich v Melb last year......

Nothing has changed
Nailed it Jetboy. Pressure comes on n our skills go to *smile*. Over possession close in handball when the pressure is on and the rain is falling = disaster.

ninjahaha said:
We have a spine. Its the 20 odd thousand of us that will show up next week, the 40,000 that will sign up again next year even if the wheels fall off again...

After attending games regardless of hope for success for 33 years (except one year in every twelve of so..) the reality may be that this club may not survive another 5 or 6 seasons in the cellar, another 4 of hope to be a competitor.

Once all of us that have held on for so long stop having kids, which for many of us has already happened, Im not sure we will have another generation that will survive the crap this club continues deliver after we keep bailing them out. The AFL will not be able to maintain 6 or 7 Victorian sides being perennial under achievers for ever. We have kept this club alive. Will the AFL have the same will. I very much doubt it.

Love it

So all i will do is have blind hope with no solid basis in reality that we can salvage a couple of wins in the next 4 games and our season turns around. We need to make finals to have any chance of attracting some genuine top end talent and hope the investment in the draft we just made pays dividends.

Last years 9 straight was the only miracle I have witnessed in 33 years, my blind Faith is starting to succumb to science! But for now I hope we shall be granted a new miracle! :help

TigerMasochist said:
Nailed it Jetboy. Pressure comes on n our skills go to sh!te. Over possession close in handball when the pressure is on and the rain is falling = disaster.

Lack of speed at ground level huge concern. Gartlett should be wearing a Tiger jumper.

ninjahaha said:

we havent got a big injury list have we, and please dont include newman and chaplin who are borderline best 22 anyway?

Bunnerz said:
we havent got a big injury list have we, and please dont include newman and chaplin who are borderline best 22 anyway?

Lids
Griff
Conca
Grimmes
Knights

others borderline 22

Pettard
Lambert
Drummond

and two not too mention. But thats 5 from the potential borderline best 22.

Compare Jones with Cotchin , Jones was Pumped, he ment business, I was worried even before the game started, on the other hand meek and mild Trent Cotchin looked tame and showed no ticker, great player at times, terrible captain in a game where he needed to lead from the front

Hardwick has got us as far as he can.
I appreciate the work he has done.
We were a complete basket case when he took over
Has made us competive Middle of the road side
But it's time for a change

TASSIETIGER2 said:
Compare Jones with Cotchin , Jones was Pumped, he ment business, I was worried even before the game started, on the other hand meek and mild Trent Cotchin looked tame and showed no ticker, great player at times, terrible captain in a game where he needed to lead from the front

Two completely different players, I thought Cotchin went in hard at every contest, no doubting his courage. Jones is and oversized thug with limited skills. IT was certainly a night for thugs.

Our biggest on field issue is the mental fragility under the pump, weather it be set shot goal kicking, busting a gut to be an option for our teammate , laying a shepherd ......courage at the ball is not an issue imho

Our biggest issue is if we stay with this game plan and don't in fact kick the goals we should from our dominance, we shatter very easily going back the other way. No scoreboard pressure at all last night at any point despite the fact we were camped in our forward fifty for long periods of time

se7en said:
Hardwick has got us as far as he can.
I appreciate the work he has done.
We were a complete basket case when he took over
Has made us competive Middle of the road side
But it's time for a change
Unfortunately I think Damien is only part of the problem

Last year when we were 3/10 Gale said Dan Richardson had "looked over every player on the list"....and indicated that we are still on the improve. Well what has happened?? Rance is unsigned and not even in the top ten paid players....how has this happened Dan? He can go to another club at season's end without us getting a chance to match the offer.

Our recruiting of young talent has delivered questionable results, and recruiting of mature agred talent has delivered list cloggers who will never take you anywhere (read Hampson, Morris, Chaplin and others).

After the FTF fundraising I thought we gave the club all the financial requirements to develop our own, yet over the last couple of years there seems to be more recycled or mature players getting a game in the seniors than new kids.
We have a number of assistant coaches now, even an ex premiership couch, yet on match day we seem to get out coached,have a "chip it sideways" game style, and when teams put pressure on us have no plan 'B' and lose all run and dare. Hardwick at pressers has said "these are the things we need to fix"... and "we have to improve quickly"...yet the same old happens.
It makes me sick to think that years ago we started at the same base camp as Hawthorn, and look at where both clubs are now. Right now it's looks as if the Bulldogs and Melbourne are going past us, and don't forget Port Adelaide shot past in a hurry when they bottomed out.
So where to now? Do we have the administration to make the right decisions regarding the staff of the RFC? Have the football department over rated the list and in doing so set us up for another rebuild?.....and most importantly will the next one deliver any success??....I can only hope so....

tivas-turnover said:
Rance is unsigned and not even in the top ten paid players

Is this fact, though? Where is this information coming from? Does Tom Petroro manage the 9 supposedly above Rance?

Which players at other clubs are lower in the pecking order than they should be? Could someone please arm our list manager with this information?

The information came from the AFL with their list of restricted free agents ....where Rance was a notable absentee

St Kevin said:
Tackle count is a very misleading stat imo.

All those numbers mean is is that we were second to the ball/contest.
Yet people here keep banging on about it like it's the most important stat in the game. I tend to agree with you. We were deplorable on a number of levels last night. A decent VFL team would have beaten them.

CarnTheTiges said:
Yet people here keep banging on about it like it's the most important stat in the game. I tend to agree with you. We were deplorable on a number of levels last night. A decent VFL team would have beaten them.

The overriding point was that effort levels were high on a number of key measures, both offensively and defensively. Yet the coaches (Hardwick and Smith), along with Morris, all came out and said we weren't hard enough.

This suggests they don't understand the problem.

Chimptastic said:
The overriding point was that effort levels were high on a number of key measures, both offensively and defensively. Yet the coaches (Hardwick and Smith), along with Morris, all came out and said we weren't hard enough.

This suggests they don't understand the problem.
You're right, it's not about hardness, it's about coaching and skill level. It''s very worrying if 3 key people don't get it.