Result against Saints | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Result against Saints

What result do you expect

• Richmond win 1-25

Votes: 18 14.9%
  • Richmond win 26-50

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • Richmond win 51+

Votes: 4 3.3%
  • Draw

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Saints win 0-25

Votes: 26 21.5%
  • Saints win 26-50

Votes: 42 34.7%
  • Saints win 51+

Votes: 28 23.1%

• Total voters
The Saints will flog the Tigers. They're a better team than Port, they're far more skillful than Richmond. The game won't be played in the sort of conditions that were at AAMI where skill didn't factor into it at all. Richmond are going to be pretty leg weary from the slog against Port and they've only had a short week. The Tigers have never played well at Etihad, it's the Saints home ground. I'd like to be wrong, but Richmond isn't up to this yet. Give the Tigers a couple of years and positions may be reversed.

Its always the smaller players, generally those that play on King, that do us over. The likes of Milne always kick the goals that bury us so I hope that thise time we can work our way through that. If the cubs are switched on we can really upset the fancied Aints. I think the self belief gained last week can flow throught his week and a win by 15 points

Saints by 51+.
We will play them back into form. They smash us every time.

Dean Hart Northey said:
Its always the smaller players, generally those that play on King, that do us over. The likes of Milne always kick the goals that bury us so I hope that thise time we can work our way through that. If the cubs are switched on we can really upset the fancied Aints. I think the self belief gained last week can flow throught his week and a win by 15 points

Yeah, the smalls are the only problem.

Need to hold Milne and Schneider. The other thing is that they are now starting to get the goals thru the midfielders like Montagna, Dal Santo, McQualter, Gram.
Goddard has only really been getting the single goal per game while the talls like Kosi, Gardiner, McEvoy, Gilbert, Fishr and Stanley have been the same or less.

Need to hold out Milne and Schneider and apply so much offensive pressure from our midfield that they can't get off the hook and go forward. Think it's pretty pointless to worry too much about defensive pressure in the midfield, since they kill anyone that plays negative in the midfield anyway.

Interesting contest since our main worries are small forwards and goal-kicking mids.

The game is a great test actually. Our mids won't be able to beat up on Saints mids like they could agsinst a woeful Port. The gameplan will be tested against one of the most disiplined and drilled teams in the AFL. Finally their rucks are ok, so Gus will get his first test against mid level opposition he should at least break even with if he's going to be a long term starting 22 player.

Their slick skills will punish us at Etihad. They will get a roll on and blow it out at some stage. Saints by 50 :(

LeeToRainesToRoach said:
ANyone remember last year's game? Good first quarter followed by a train wreck which was truly painful to watch. Predicting similar this week.

Good point, that is possible one of the most lopsided games in modern history. If that’s our benchmark it sets the expectations at a realistic level and makes improvement quite possible.

Last time I was at Etihad to watch the Tiges/Saints was several years ago. We did really well - until the Milne played a brilliant last qtr. Nevertheless, we would have won had (a) Moore goaled from 30m out directly in front at the 28min mark, and/or (b) Jack scored from 52m after the siren.

Since then, we have added Cotch and Martin, with big improvement from Jack and Lids.

(I should mention that blokes like Montagna, Gilbert and Goddard have also come along a bit!)

lukeanddad said:
Last time I was at Etihad to watch the Tiges/Saints was several years ago. We did really well - until the Milne played a brilliant last qtr. Nevertheless, we would have won had (a) Moore goaled from 30m out directly in front at the 28min mark, and/or (b) Jack scored from 52m after the siren.

Since then, we have added Cotch and Martin, with big improvement from Jack and Lids.

(I should mention that blokes like Montagna, Gilbert and Goddard have also come along a bit!)

And we had guys like Bowden, Richo, Brown etc, who as maligned as they are, definitely made us a better team.

I think we'll get smashed on such a fast track. Our major weakness so far this year has been chasing opposition players running into space waiting for the next possession, and being willing and able to run into open space to present when we have the ball.

Last week's conditions hid this weakness simply because our opposition weren't able to run into these open spaces, and even when they did, disposal wasn't accurate enough because of the weather.

Because of the above, I think we'll get trounced on the dry, fast wicked that is Etihad, but as long as we show some sort of endeavour and resilience I'll be happy.

If it was at the G,I would give us a greater chance but Dimwittio put paid to that.

Found out Caro put an article in saying we had our home G game back and big headed Adolf Dimwittio changed it back to the Etihad.

Just another reason why I think he hates our club.

He was the only one who had a sad face Brownlow night when everyone was pumped for Richo.

I wonder which Richmond player back in the day thumped him? ;D

Shame *smile* ,shame.

Sam Stosur's win over Serena is an omen.
This is the week of the underdog.

Go Tiges!!

thejinx said:
And we had guys like Bowden, Richo, Brown etc, who as maligned as they are, definitely made us a better team.

Bowden didn't play that Saints match, or the Doggies match where we drew. He was Terry's scapegoat at the time. I still reckon had Bowden played those 2 matches we would have won and most likely made the finals that year.

Tagger said:
Sam Stosur's win over Serena is an omen.
This is the week of the underdog.

Sam Stosur is a saints fan - so maybe that is an omen in favour of the saints

I find it amazing that so many on here really think we will win tomorrow night.

Sure, we played well on the weekend, but it was in wet conditions against an insipid side in Port. Fair dinkum, no wonder their fans are feral watching them play.

This week, we play against a team that has been among the benchmarks for the past 3 years, a team that routinely beats us, and a team that lets be honest, is miles better than us.

I have seen far too many new dawns over the past 30 years to get sucked in by one game.

I earlier said Saints by 7 goals plus, but I actually reckon I am being conservative.

Punxsutawney Phil said:
This week, we play against a team that has been among the benchmarks for the past 3 years, a team that routinely beats us, and a team that lets be honest, is miles better than us.

The Aints have come back to the pack a little without Riewoldt but they are still a way better side overall than we are yet.
If we win it'll be the upset of the year. Our Riewoldt having a blinder is our best hope.

Punxsutawney Phil said:
I find it amazing that so many on here really think we will win tomorrow night.

I must be reading a different thread. Most seem to be saying we'll be thrashed, with other offering a mixture of light-hearted banter about omens.

If we are in the game most of the match & get beat by less than 36 leysy will be elated & also a little suprised.

Reckon a comfortable game for most of the night for St Kilda.

We'll need to play our best game of the year for it not to be.

$1.95 for the Saints to win by more than 40 points.......hhhmmmm.