pre-season 2015-16 | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

pre-season 2015-16

zippadeee said:
I like Rance, but this is *smile*. He will behind the group by at least a full month of preseason.
Why?
He's proven he's a premium A grade footballer. He's also a professional who will be given a specific training n fitness program to adhere to over summer. He's also a reasonably normal human being, in other words, he wants a balance between football and life in general which will assist his overall enjoyment n longevity in the game.
Probably smarter than most, wouldn't surprise to see more n more players, or the AFLPA on the players behalf demanding a better overall balance for life during the off season period.

TigerMasochist said:
Why?
He's proven he's a premium A grade footballer. He's also a professional who will be given a specific training n fitness program to adhere to over summer. He's also a reasonably normal human being, in other words, he wants a balance between football and life in general which will assist his overall enjoyment n longevity in the game.
Probably smarter than most, wouldn't surprise to see more n more players, or the AFLPA on the players behalf demanding a better overall balance for life during the off season period.

Why? Because he has 43 team mates going through a preseason.
It's a team sport.

zippadeee said:
It's a team sport.
Just in case you haven't noticed over the last few years Zipper. The one to four year players at non finals clubs go back this week, the more senior players go back a couple of weeks later. More successful finals teams stagger their training starts to even later in the year than the unsuccessful teams. Quite a few clubs in recent years have been giving their more mature elite players delayed and varied starts to their pre season campaigns as they know the players will look after their fitness preparations away from the club. It keeps them fresher n maintains their enjoyment n enthusiasm for the game.
It may very well be a team sport, but there are forty four individuals comprising a team and each n every single one of those individuals is different with varying life needs. The best coaches n clubs assess that and adjust where necessary to suit.

zippadeee said:
It's a team sport.
C'mon Zips....have a look at that Hercules body on Tross. Not one mm of fat.

TigerMasochist said:
Just in case you haven't noticed over the last few years Zipper. The one to four year players at non finals clubs go back this week, the more senior players go back a couple of weeks later. More successful finals teams stagger their training starts to even later in the year than the unsuccessful teams. Quite a few clubs in recent years have been giving their more mature elite players delayed and varied starts to their pre season campaigns as they know the players will look after their fitness preparations away from the club. It keeps them fresher n maintains their enjoyment n enthusiasm for the game.
It may very well be a team sport, but there are forty four individuals comprising a team and each n every single one of those individuals is different with varying life needs. The best coaches n clubs assess that and adjust where necessary to suit.
Exactly. Well-said. He also has a wife for whom AFL is not the be-all and end-all. A greater post-season break from the intense bubble of footy during the season was a vital ingredient for their relationship judging from his comments during the contract negotiations. A happy wife makes for a happy player ... unless you WANT him to walk away from the game!!
Money isn't everything for some people.

I'll go as far and say that Rance,Lids,Jack,Vloss and Miles would be the only blokes on our list that will perform the way they did last year and previous years before that.

Cotchin as good as he is still needs to work on his kicking - big time!

Yarran will be a new player with a new outlook - lookout I say!

Townsend has some serious spunk which a lot of the boys can learn from - good get! :fing32

TigerForce said:
C'mon Zips....have a look at that Hercules body on Tross. Not one mm of fat.

I have no issue with Rance. The bloke is A1. But over the preseason it's not all about fitness. It's game pan, new players coming in, working out players weakness etc.
Missing a large part for me shouldn't be allowed.
Rance is properly the fitness bloke at the club but there are more things to preseason

zippadeee said:
I have no issue with Rance. The bloke is A1. But over the preseason it's not all about fitness. It's game pan, new players coming in, working out players weakness etc.
Missing a large part for me shouldn't be allowed.
Rance is properly the fitness bloke at the club but there are more things to preseason

I'm quite sure Tross has a program he's adhering to on his break. You really think he's gonna walk back in looking like Fev?

I suppose they would probably need to post all of the team instructions, game plans, and opposition analysis when he is away on holidays, and if he is overseas god knows how long that will take...

Oh wait hang on, it's 2015. And Rance just dominated another season in defence.

Shogun said:
You really think he's gonna walk back in looking like Fev?
Nah! Zippers panicking 'coz he thinks Tross won't know the first names of all his new besties when the team runs out for it's first game.
Probably a good chance Tross will door knock a few of his new team mates over summer break n introduce himself :angel:

RFC_Official said:
You are correct, 1-4 year players are back this Friday.

Thanks RFC,
Do you know if the players will be doing "drop a mark, skull a beer" challenge?

Tom_Hafey said:
Don't agree, its sets a really bad precedent if true.

Happy to disagree. We've got Rance for another 3 years or so

Shogun said:
I'm quite sure Tross has a program he's adhering to on his break. You really think he's gonna walk back in looking like Fev?
LOL.

Rance is a professional. He'll be AA again next year.

We should be more interested to see how fit C. Ellis, Conca et al are. And Big Ivvy too. If he goes down we're in trouble.

Ghost of Punt Road said:
It is cute we were given the winners of the annual, but not terribly useful, time-trial around the TAN.

I wonder if it isn't time for hardening up, and being frank, and sharing who came last, an in fact, every position. The club is still shy. Needs to stop blushing.

Agree, also publish times for everyone and their times for the corresponding time last year

Ghost of Punt Road said:
It is cute we were given the winners of the annual, but not terribly useful, time-trial around the TAN.

I wonder if it isn't time for hardening up, and being frank, and sharing who came last, an in fact, every position. The club is still shy. Needs to stop blushing.
It was only the first to fourth year players so hardly representative of the list. No need to point the finger at individuals, just think large lumpy ruck men n key position types as providing coverage at the rear and you'd be fairly close.
Was flicking through some of those first day training photo's on the club website, there was one of young Bazza McKenzie, might just have been the timing of the photo, or he's been working hard. Looked to have shed a fair bit of puppy off the body.