Player walk out | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Player walk out

9thPlaceTiger said:
As a young supporter losing craig lambert and stuwart maxfield really hurt the most.
yeah that wasn't good...

Other than Otto...I can't think of a player in recent times who's walked from us, gone elsewhere and performed really well.

Tiger17 said:
yeah that wasn't good...

Other than Otto...I can't think of a player in recent times who's walked from us, gone elsewhere and performed really well.

I know he didn't walk, but Morton is now officially a premiership player

joegarra said:
I know he didn't walk, but Morton is now officially a premiership player
Yeah but Mitch didn't actually perform really well as a Sydney player career wise, just happened to fill an injury hole at exactly the right time n got off the chain a bit because it was more important to try n control more dangerous Sydney players.

9thPlaceTiger said:
As a young supporter losing craig lambert and stuwart maxfield really hurt the most.
Yep they were critical and not only on field but went on to provide off field value too. Not to us though.

22nd Man said:
Geoff Raines. Was three time b and f. Could have ended career with 5 6 or 7.
Did actually admit later on that he probably shouldn't have left when he did. Apparently got hacked off that Rioli took his spot in the centre and was also being paid more than he was as a boom recruit.

CarnTheTiges said:
Did actually admit later on that he probably shouldn't have left when he did. Apparently got hacked off that Rioli took his spot in the centre and was also being paid more than he was as a boom recruit.

Did he ever admit that? But can see his point of view - best and fairest playing centre and then Rioli came in and was being paid significantly more. We also stuffed up on the Brian Taylor/Roach thing - tried to force both in, dropped Taylor for the 82 GF and then he walked to Collingwood. I always saw us as being too greedy in that period, holding on to top players but those we had too many of. Interesting times.

antman said:
Did he ever admit that? But can see his point of view - best and fairest playing centre and then Rioli came in and was being paid significantly more. We also stuffed up on the Brian Taylor/Roach thing - tried to force both in, dropped Taylor for the 82 GF and then he walked to Collingwood. I always saw us as being too greedy in that period, holding on to top players but those we had too many of. Interesting times.
It was a few years ago. I think Andrew was still playing for us. He did say that he never should have left and if he had his time over he probably wouldn't have done it. The club was very inflexible back then and wouldn't budge an inch, so he and others walked.

antman said:

Believe our Reserve team back then could put a few VFL teams to shame if they ever played each other.

Spoke to someone many years back that was contencted to the club back then.
Said we picked a a couple of players not because we need them but because we didn't want them playing against us.

se7en said:
Believe our Reserve team back then could put a few VFL teams to shame if they ever played each other.

Spoke to someone many years back that was contencted to the club back then.
Said we picked a a couple of players not because we need them but because we didn't want them playing against us.
Geez we had some forwards back then. In 1980 we won the seniors, reserves and U19's goal kicking. Roach of course won the seniors, Mark Jackson the reserves (God! He was a character and a half. I saw a game against the Swans at Waverley and a fight started in their forward line. Jackson ran the length of the ground, forced his way into the melee, dropped someone and then ran all the way back to full forward) and I can't remember the name of the U19's kid, I think it may have been Peter Lane?

CarnTheTiges said:
Geez we had some forwards back then. In 1980 we won the seniors, reserves and U19's goal kicking. Roach of course won the seniors, Mark Jackson the reserves (God! He was a character and a half. I saw a game against the Swans at Waverley and a fight started in their forward line. Jackson ran the length of the ground, forced his way into the melee, dropped someone and then ran all the way back to full forward) and I can't remember the name of the U19's kid, I think it may have been Peter Lane?
Correct, 'twas Peter Lane

TigerMasochist said:
Interesting. Guess Plough claiming on t.v. recently that Otto asked to be traded because he felt his career was going nowhere at tigerland was just a blatant lie then.

Some of us actually remember that time when Wallace arrived (and Ottens left). Remember the previous two years of Miller continually complaining that there was no money for the football department, no money to have recruiters, no money for this that etc?

Of course Ottens' "career" was going nowhere, he was coming off a contract in a place that now was essentially broke (as well as shithouse on the field) and offered a new contract that would have been way less than he could get elsewhere, so he went elsewhere.

Wallace was complaining about possum *smile* in his office a few months after Ottens left, so he quickly found out what environment he had got himself into and why players like Ottens left. I do wonder if Wallace still recalls all the big promises made at Casey's mansion about all the fabulous facilities he was going to have at his disposal, they weren't even ready by the time Wallace's replacement was two years into his job.............

Fighting Fury said:
I think it was Frawley who had to clean out the possum dung.

I remember Wallace saying he had to clean up the possum poo and he (and Brian Royal?) painted the change rooms in the off season
Ps. we both might be correct, maybe a favourite possum haunt.

Fighting Fury said:
I think it was Frawley who had to clean out the possum dung.

Yep, thought it was Frawley.
Think Wallace was the one behind the club getting rid of the booze bar in the gym.

willo said:
I remember Wallace saying he had to clean up the possum poo and he (and Brian Royal?) painted the change rooms in the off season
Ps. we both might be correct, maybe a favourite possum haunt.

I think you're correct ... my error.

No Wallace got rid of the possum dirt. At the time I thought silly spud farmer didn't even care and at least Wallace does. It Wallace that spruced the place up.

GEDS1 said:
No Wallace got rid of the possum dirt. At the time I thought silly spud farmer didn't even care and at least Wallace does. It Wallace that spruced the place up.
When Dimma arrived he had to get rid of the Wallace dung