Player walk out | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Player walk out

rosy23 said:
Where has Lennon gone and what has the club officially said about it?

the proof is in the pudding he is out of contract shortly

Of course we can think hard and find some examples but it's a pretty rare occurrence just the same.

truth be told we haven't had great players to lose have we?

until more recent times, or in very past times

This does prove we're not one of the bottom handful of clubs for player satisfaction. Although, I hope nobody is implying this means success is imminent or that it makes us a 'great club'.

I'm kind of sick of hearing about how great we are in all these irrelevant little categories.

It's because of our conservative approach in recent years. This approach allows us to keep our players more easily at the expense of bringing in A grade talent. It evens out.

unleashedgeisch said:
Maybe we don't lose because no one else rate them....just saying
Noone else rates Martin, Cotchin, Rance, Riewoldt and Deledio all who have signed up in recent years ? Noone else rates Grimes, Brandon Ellis , Valstuin or Edwards ?

i think there is always an argument for the mid range or bottom end talent but we have not lost a top liner in a long long time

jb03 said:
A PRE walkout thread would be more interesting.

Have had some recent entries...and then again we've had some of those re-register with new names.

graystar1 said:
He did some good things up forward for us. Never did understand why he left. Don't think it was ever explained fully.

Given at that time that club had already signed a massive contract for Gaspar that crippled us for subsequent years financially as well as in the Salary Cap, it was no surprise to those who knew the situation that Ottens would go.

This was the Casey era where people who had no idea of financial responsibility had taken over from the "too conservative" Daphne administration and undid a decade of financial responsibility in a few short years and put us back in debt with nothing to show on the field. We have only just recovered from that era in the last few years.

As a young supporter losing craig lambert and stuwart maxfield really hurt the most.

9thPlaceTiger said:
As a young supporter losing craig lambert and stuwart maxfield really hurt the most.
x2

Go back a few years before that and the loss of Barge Taylor, David Cloke, Geoff Raines and Bryan wood gutted the club and the supporters for a long time

David C said:
Given at that time that club had already signed a massive contract for Gaspar that crippled us for subsequent years financially as well as in the Salary Cap, it was no surprise to those who knew the situation that Ottens would go.

This was the Casey era where people who had no idea of financial responsibility had taken over from the "too conservative" Daphne administration and undid a decade of financial responsibility in a few short years and put us back in debt with nothing to show on the field. We have only just recovered from that era in the last few years.
Interesting. Guess Plough claiming on t.v. recently that Otto asked to be traded because he felt his career was going nowhere at tigerland was just a blatant lie then.

Sintiger said:
x2

Go back a few years before that and the loss of Barge Taylor, David Cloke, Geoff Raines and Bryan wood gutted the club and the supporters for a long time

17 at the time and it gutted the club.
Our retaliation was worse in what we picked up.

rosy23 said:
That is clearly not true considering he was offered a contract. Wasn't wanted enough to offer a contract similar to Port's but he was still considered a required player on our terms.

Which was a fringe player in and out of the team. His career at Richmond, games per season was 11,7,20,16,16,12,7,16. In 2 seasons at Port it's been 22 and 18 (this year he was injured). Obviously he was going to get guaranteed games which he wasn't afforded at the Tigers. I wasn't too fussed to see him go personally. He's a fringe player and his statistical performance at Port has been no better than at the Tigers.

tigerlove said:
Which was a fringe player in and out of the team. .....

Maybe or maybe not. We'll never know how it would have panned out. Doesn't change my point that he was offered a contract so he was a required player at that price.

I still remember Cloke front page of The Sun i think, i was only 6 but was already brainwashed by my mum after going to games since i was 4... He was young and a gun at that time and i just remember him, then a few others and i was shattered...

Bomber James, Tim Barling and Maurice Rioli all chasing the good doctor's money up to Sydney is one I remember.

Salary cap problems resulted in James and Rioli remaining at Richmond but they were never the same.