Pick two young Tigers to make a big leap forward in 2024 | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Pick two young Tigers to make a big leap forward in 2024

The conversation actually started because we didn’t have any player under twenty five poll a Brownlow vote. Not under 22, under 25.
Sure they’re only opinions but Brownlow votes, Rising stars, best u22 teams are some reflection of a view that’s generally shared. Our current crop of kids aren’t much to be overly excited by yet.

There’s no doubt the Premierships have impacted the quality of our youth because we haven’t had access to the pointy end of the draft. That’s obvious to anyone but relative to other teams in the comp, at this point in time we don’t have a lot of talent to be genuinely excited by. Whether that changes in the future remains to be seen. A lot would need to improve both in terms of injury luck & performance.
The club know it which is exactly why we are going balls in this year to the draft. We really need access to the upper echelon of young players. Especially with Tasmania on the horizon. Crucial we nail it.

Reactions: 9 users
Totally agree. Scanning through the up-and-coming young STARS in other lists, right now ours is woeful.

There is so much riding on the next two drafts. There also may be a case for trading out more of our older better players next year while they still have currency. We simply can't afford to have more superannuation schemes.

Totally agree. Scanning through the up-and-coming young STARS in other lists, right now ours is woeful.

There is so much riding on the next two drafts. There also may be a case for trading out more of our older better players next year while they still have currency. We simply can't afford to have more superannuation schemes.
i also believe there is a bit riding on our current young/inexperieced crop
Seth Campbell, Kaleb Smith, Steely Green, Tom Brown, James Tresize , Kane AcAuliffe , Blight, Campbell Gray , Lefau , MRJ, Josh Gibcus,
Liam Fawcett, Jacob Bauer , Judson Clarke

in my eyes , none of that 14 have made it at AFL level , but there is hope and I'm sure some will be very handy at the top level
and because of their age and experience todate , they will be an important part of us bouncing back quickly
while our 24 draftees find their feet

Reactions: 5 users
The conversation actually started because we didn’t have any player under twenty five poll a Brownlow vote. Not under 22, under 25.
Sure they’re only opinions but Brownlow votes, Rising stars, best u22 teams are some reflection of a view that’s generally shared. Our current crop of kids aren’t much to be overly excited by yet.

There’s no doubt the Premierships have impacted the quality of our youth because we haven’t had access to the pointy end of the draft. That’s obvious to anyone but relative to other teams in the comp, at this point in time we don’t have a lot of talent to be genuinely excited by. Whether that changes in the future remains to be seen. A lot would need to improve both in terms of injury luck & performance.
The club know it which is exactly why we are going balls in this year to the draft. We really need access to the upper echelon of young players. Especially with Tasmania on the horizon. Crucial we nail it.

Good post but there are several posters that keep trotting out the same lines that don't take into account our drafting positions. We are where we are with drafting. Would we like to have had more Top 20 picks on our list that could go and win Rising Stars, absolutely, but we don't as we haven't had the picks for various reasons. Sure, talk about the Hopper trade, thats 1 to debate, but constantly having people trot out the "out drafting has been woeful", "clubs been asleep at the wheel" crap that we hear so often on here from the same posters, despite having FACTS show them that their opinion is wrong (and I note that they never debate those facts, just constantly trot out the same crap regardless), its just tiring and quite frankly boring, to constantly hear the same *smile* that they claim is facts but is purely a poorly executed opinion.

We won't know what we already have on our list until we impose those top draft picks that make players better. Dusty, Cotch, Jack etc they all made those around them better and thats what we'll be expecting from the crop that we'll be drafting this year.

As you say, the club has known this position, has specifically targeted this draft, so there is a very real plan that they are working on (despite what those same darksiders claim is no plan, no-one steering the ship etc) and we need to let that plan play out.

As you say, its crucial we nail this one, but its good that we'll have a lot of draft currency in whats seen as a strong draft instead of a weak one like the Bombers did.

i also believe there is a bit riding on our current young/inexperieced crop
Seth Campbell, Kaleb Smith, Steely Green, Tom Brown, James Tresize , Kane AcAuliffe , Blight, Campbell Gray , Lefau , MRJ, Josh Gibcus,
Liam Fawcett, Jacob Bauer , Judson Clarke

in my eyes , none of that 14 have made it at AFL level , but there is hope and I'm sure some will be very handy at the top level
and because of their age and experience todate , they will be an important part of us bouncing back quickly
while our 24 draftees find their feet

Agree, and we'll see their quality rise to the top as we add those better players around them that are young, hungry and want to develop as footballers as a group.

I'm certainly not as down on our youth as others, I think we have some talented players but bar potentially Gibcus, we lack that star quality. We need to add that this year, which is why we need as many top 10 draft picks as possible IMO.

Reactions: 1 user
just shows how important the recruiting / drafting team is.

This is the most important part of any footy club. Doesn't matter who you have as coach, your coaching panel, development team.

If you can't nail the draft or trades everything fails.

• Love
Reactions: 1 user
The Rising Star is interesting. A couple of years ago I asked a coach what the feeling was about Gibcus not having got a nomination to that point. I was derided by said coach for the question. I got the message, very clearly, that the club put no value on the RS nominations and drilled that into the playing core. I.e. Team above individual. How valid that is across the group I can't ascertain but, at the time, under Dimma it was communicated by that assistant coach as the "club's view".

Note: At a separate briefing by another assistant coach a statement was made that the club does not really value any of the AFL awards. A very blunt and anti-AFL sentiment was expressed.

• Love
Reactions: 5 users