Pick two young Tigers to make a big leap forward in 2024 | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Pick two young Tigers to make a big leap forward in 2024

That article from last November ranking our kids the worst in the league was absolutely spot on.

Reactions: 1 user
Lafau, Ralphsmith, Brown, Campbell, MJ and Tresize.

(y) I also rate Bauer highly.
All show promise.
No stars amongst that group though.
I rate McCauliffe as the 2nd best of our juniors but he had a strange season after barnstorming the VFL competition early. Managed/Injured/Sick? Not sure what happened but needs to reset in the VFL now with an uninterrupted run of games to get his confidence back.
Gibcus clearly rated #1 for me despite injury concerns.

agree with the previous posting, but for me, I want to see three stars amerging, our first three picks in this year's draft. I can't clearly see their names however, they will shine through.

All show promise.
No stars amongst that group though.
I rate McCauliffe as the 2nd best of our juniors but he had a strange season after barnstorming the VFL competition early. Managed/Injured/Sick? Not sure what happened but needs to reset in the VFL now with an uninterrupted run of games to get his confidence back.
Gibcus clearly rated #1 for me despite injury concerns.
22 touches in first half 3 weeks ago then pulled out to be a shadow for the seniors that afternoon. Got influenze the following week and been away for a fortnight. All good

Not one Rising star nomination this year (or some time for that matter) nor any Richmond player under 25 getting a vote in the Brownlow.

Who really are our up & coming players on our current list?
There's barely a single one that is a certainty to gave a really good AFL career.

That's a worry.

• Wow
Reactions: 5 users
Not one Rising star nomination this year (or some time for that matter) nor any Richmond player under 25 getting a vote in the Brownlow.

Who really are our up & coming players on our current list?
There's barely a single one that is a certainty to gave a really good AFL career.

That's a worry.

Rising star nominations are an arbitrary measure to assess quality.

The vast majority of RS nominations either come from top 20 draft picks, or later draftees playing with plenty of other quality players (ie. they are drafted later in the draft but start playing in finals playing teams).

We didn't have a foot in either camp this year, ie. very few top 20 draft picks (only Gibcus - injured in Rd1) and Brown, and we certainly didn't play finals.

Brownlows the same. How many players under 21 that got Brownlow votes, were not drafted in the top 15-20 or didn't play for a finals bound club?

The vast majority of RS nominations either come from top 20 draft picks, or later draftees playing with plenty of other quality players (ie. they are drafted later in the draft but start playing in finals playing teams).

We didn't have a foot in either camp this year, ie. very few top 20 draft picks (only Gibcus - injured in Rd1) and Brown, and we certainly didn't play finals.

Brownlows the same. How many players under 21 that got Brownlow votes, were not drafted in the top 15-20 or didn't play for a finals bound club?
I reckon Brown was unlucky not to get a rising star nom, as was Seth Campbell probably . Both of them had 6-8 weeks of really decent footy but no real break out game.

It’s also picked by Shifter Sheahan …enough said

Reactions: 2 users

How you choose to measure our talent is up to you.
I think the young talent on our list is currently comparatively thin & this reflects that. If you think otherwise that’s fine.
BTW Cumberland was our last Rising Star nomination 3 seasons ago.

How you choose to measure our talent is up to you.
I think the young talent on our list is currently comparatively thin & this reflects that. If you think otherwise that’s fine.
BTW Cumberland was our last Rising Star nomination 3 seasons ago.

Like I said, take a look at who the RS nominations are. They are either top 20 draft picks (we don't have many) or they are later picks playing in high quality teams. Just saying the RS noms are an arbitrary measure which is dominated by the 2 categories above, its not a measure of our current young talent on our list.

Our list profile didn't align ourselves to win many RS nominations this year despite what people might think we "should" have.

If we are saying the same thing this time next year, then we have a problem.

I reckon Brown was unlucky not to get a rising star nom, as was Seth Campbell probably . Both of them had 6-8 weeks of really decent footy but no real break out game.

It’s also picked by Shifter Sheahan …enough said
Yep, if you’re not part of Shifter’s little group you don’t get a look in.

Worst youth in the league and I said it before the start of the season too.

Only two players 22 or under got 20+ disposals in a game this year.

Only two rising star nominations in the last four years.

No players u22 nominated in the 22 and under squad. We haven’t had a player nominated since Bolton three years ago either.

All this despite taking five players inside the first 30 picks in 2021 draft. We love to blame injuries for our performances this year but geez, the complete non-entity’s that are our recent draftees who were largely injury free btw were also a massive factor in our terrible season.

Youth was given ample opportunity to impress. There were just no outstanding performances.

Was Cumberland?
I reckon Cumberland got a nomination when he kicked 5 goals. The rising star nomination always rewards single stand out games rather than consistent good form but no stand out. Same reason Gibcus never got a nomination in 2022 despite playing probably 3 months of good consistent footy.

It is just the way it is.

I reckon Cumberland got a nomination when he kicked 5 goals. The rising star nomination always rewards single stand out games rather than consistent good form but no stand out. Same reason Gibcus never got a nomination in 2022 despite playing probably 3 months of good consistent footy.

It is just the way it is.
It’s as much a media award as the AA stuff is. Remember the year Shai lit it up against Freo, but didn’t get the nomination because Brad Johnson couldn’t be bothered to watch the game? The only valid award is the Coleman, because it’s not awarded on a matter of opinion.

Reactions: 3 users
All this despite taking five players inside the first 30 picks in 2021 draft. We love to blame injuries for our performances this year but geez, the complete non-entity’s that are our recent draftees who were largely injury free btw were also a massive factor in our terrible season.
Bit harsh regarding a few of these kids I'd reckon.
Gibber's lost 2 seasons with major injuries so hasn't really had much of a look after a very promising first year.
Clarkey, scrawny weed who had a decent second season n then popped a knee early this year, get the body right n some meat on the bones n I think he can be a decent player. Was pretty much popping a goal a game from limited possessions on a flank.
Brown, broke a wrist in 2023 n missed half a season so developed in the magoos. Played out this year with a couple of mangled shoulders so didn't have quite the impact expected, but he plays smart n composed n if the shoulders have been fixed he'll be a bit more physical next year.
Banksy's been a bit more of a slow burn, but he's stepped up to some decent footy in a crap side this year.
Reckon there's 4 decent players there if we can get their bodies right, keep therm on the park n get them up around the 50 games.
Sadly there's only the one I'm bitterly disappointed in n that being the Sonze, n I've said more than enough about him during the season. Got no idea of what happened regarding the end of season review, so for the moment he's still on the books n got 2025 to show me I'm a *smile* n know bugger all about footy.

Bit harsh regarding a few of these kids I'd reckon.
Gibber's lost 2 seasons with major injuries so hasn't really had much of a look after a very promising first year.
Clarkey, scrawny weed who had a decent second season n then popped a knee early this year, get the body right n some meat on the bones n I think he can be a decent player. Was pretty much popping a goal a game from limited possessions on a flank.
Brown, broke a wrist in 2023 n missed half a season so developed in the magoos. Played out this year with a couple of mangled shoulders so didn't have quite the impact expected, but he plays smart n composed n if the shoulders have been fixed he'll be a bit more physical next year.
Banksy's been a bit more of a slow burn, but he's stepped up to some decent footy in a crap side this year.
Reckon there's 4 decent players there if we can get their bodies right, keep therm on the park n get them up around the 50 games.
Sadly there's only the one I'm bitterly disappointed in n that being the Sonze, n I've said more than enough about him during the season. Got no idea of what happened regarding the end of season review, so for the moment he's still on the books n got 2025 to show me I'm a *smile* n know bugger all about footy.
Campbell shows some real promise and Steely looked to be a bit of a goer late.

Still hope to see the Sonsie from '22 again - the one that was close to our b.o.g in the first half of the elimination final. Must still be in there somewhere. Wtf happened in that off-season to him & Cumberland?

Personally I'm tired of hearing this crap about no Rising Stars, no 22 Under 22 etc. People seem to forget we were still winning premierships only a couple of years ago.

Just a few stats that I'll give to the nah sayers.

Last 2 years there have been 49 RS nominations.
28 of them were top 20 draft picks (some of these also playing for teams that qualified for finals)
Another 10 were players playing in finals playing teams (I'll come back to this later)
The remaining 11 (22%) were not top 20 draft picks nor played for finals teams.

Just on a few of these, Will Graham probably slipped as teams didn't really build aggressively on GC bids last year. Matt Johnson was taken at Pick 21 so only marginally outside the top 20.

The rest were:
Harvey Gallagher (Dogs looked like a guaranteed finals team for most of this year)
Harvey Harrison (Pies were in the finals picture for most of the year - injuries undid them)
Bodhi Uwland (was a pre-selection, if he was in the draft probably would have been a top 20 pick)
Luke Nankervis (PSD selection)
Josh Draper (Freo NGA Cat B)
Jackson Archer (North F/S)
Will Graham (Pick 26 - Academy)
Jai Culley (West Coast MSD)
Seamus Mitchell (Hawthorn Pick 29)
Matt Johnson (Freo Pick 21)
Eddie Ford (North Pick 56)

I'd say there are questions of where Graham and Uwland were picked, and Johnson was 1 pick outside the top 20. That leaves 8 of which 2 were expected finals bound teams, leaving 6 for the rest of us and whilst some of them are ok (I like Archer and Draper the most) they are hardly worldbeaters.

To actually get RS noms that actually mean something about where you are going, you need Top 20 draft picks or a strong team to bring these players through in.

Does anyone seriously believe the likes of Lawson Humphries, or Judd McVee or Ollie Dempsey for example would look good in a side that finished with 2 wins? Enough to get RS noms? Not a chance in hell they would have got a RS nom playing in our team.

People need to be realistic about what we are expecting from the players we have drafted. We've either had injury cursed Top 20 picks, or we've got players outside the top 20, who are more likely to be bit part players in our next tilt at a premiership than the superstars. Thats what we are aiming to draft this year.

Reactions: 3 users