Pick 17, 20 & 25 | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Pick 17, 20 & 25

Giardiasis said:
So I get the Brisbane swap if we think the talent is fairly even between 15-25. I don't get the geelong swap?
Remember that this Geelong swap was an hour before the Lions deal.
All about the father/sons.
We wanted the extra points for Naish this year.
They wanted extra points next year for Billy Brownless's boy.

Think the Brisbane swap gives us a whole lot more flexibility and presumably we only have one target who will be there for 17.

Giardiasis said:
So I get the Brisbane swap if we think the talent is fairly even between 15-25. I don't get the geelong swap?

We need the extra 3rd rounder this year to bundle up with pick 25 to match a bid for naish

Apparently these are our picks

17, 20, 25, 53, 55, 74, 92, 110

We can have between 38-40 on the main list.
We had 40 this year. And 5 on the supplementary list. (Don’t know why it ever got renamed to ‘rookie list’).

By delisting Maric Yarran hunt Morris Elton (that’s 35 players).
So we draft three juniors (17,20,25) and then add soldo (53) & Castagna (55).

Unless we decide to draft into the 50’s which means deleting one or two of Miles lloyd Towner drummo or Lennon which I doubt.

As for the bidding on naish and matching it, I’ve got NO idea how that works.

Giardiasis said:

Yeah I don't get Geelong swap either. My problem is I don't fully understand how the father son bidding process works with our points / picks.

Giardiasis said:
BA mentioned the points from both would help us this year and the Cats next year with Billy's son

year of the tiger said:
Yeah I don't get Geelong swap either. My problem is I don't fully understand how the father son bidding process works with our points / picks.

If we didn't have the extra 50s pick and Naish doesn't attract a bid until after pick 25 then we would go into big time deficit in the 2018 draft.

TigerPort said:
If we didn't have the extra 50s pick and Naish doesn't attract a bid until after pick 25 then we would go into big time deficit in the 2018 draft.
So that's why you'd just use pick 25 if you wanted him.

CC TIGER said:
BA mentioned the points from both would help us this year and the Cats next year with Billy's son
It doesn't help us with Naish as any pick before 25 won't need our 3rd rounders, and for any pick between 26-33 both 53 and 55 combined won't be enough.

year of the tiger said:

You can only have the same number of picks available as list spots available. No extra picks as in the past to bundle up.

We take Naish with any one of our late picks even our last, provided no other club bids for Naish.

We don't make a bid. We wait until another club bids. Then we decide whether to match or not (depends where he is bid on and how much we value him)
If another club bids pick 13 (1212 points) if we match we get a 20% discount. Ie 121 points off 1212.
We must then use our next pick (plus others if required to match the 1212-121 points=1091 points)
Our next pick is 17, worth 1025 points. We still "owe" 70 points so this is deducted from our next pick.
Which is Pick 20=912 points-70 =842 points. Which is nearly pick 22. So our pick 20 slides back to 22/23ish which in essence becomes pick 21/22ish seeing pick 20 isn't actually used.

Giardiasis said:
It doesn't help us with Naish as any pick before 25 won't need our 3rd rounders, and for any pick between 26-33 both 53 and 55 combined won't be enough.

Then we match the bid anyway and go into defecit next year which I’m told will only be only be a few spots.
I’m not sure which pick they apply the defecit to.

Giardiasis said:
At a guess I'd say we didn't think we'd get a picks deal with Brissy, considering it was actually completed after 2pm

DirtyDogTiger said:
Then we match the bid anyway and go into defecit next year which I’m told will only be only be a few spots.
I’m not sure which pick they apply the defecit to.
Sure, but why did we give up our 2018 3rd rounder for?

CC TIGER said:
At a guess I'd say we didn't think we'd get a picks deal with Brissy, considering it was actually completed after 2pm
I think we thought Naish would slip past pick 17, but something happened that made the Brisbane swap make sense. Problem is we still lose our 2018 pick for nothing.

Giardiasis said:
I think we thought Naish would slip past pick 17, but something happened that made the Brisbane swap make sense. Problem is we still lose our 2018 pick for nothing.
I'd say your right, he still may slip into the 20s , who knows we may land another Jack Graham in the 50s this year or miss out on one next year. Anyway I think 17,20,25 is better then 15,17 in a solid draft.

CC TIGER said:
I'd say your right, he still may slip into the 20s , who knows we may land another Jack Graham in the 50s this year or miss out on one next year. Anyway I think 17,20,25 is better then 15,17 in a solid draft.
Well at the moment we’re going to have Maric, Yarran, Elton, Hunt and Morris off the list with Batchelor another likely departure. We would have to delist one more player for us to actually use the 3rd rounder in a meaningful sense on a new player, as we are upgrading Soldo and Castagna. Most likely in the gun is Lennon. If we keep Lennon then it really is a complete wasted pick swap. Terrible outcome.

Giardiasis said:
Well at the moment we’re going to have Maric, Yarran, Elton, Hunt and Morris off the list with Batchelor another likely departure. We would have to delist one more player for us to actually use the 3rd rounder on a new player, as we are upgrading Soldo and Castagna. Most likely in the gun is Lennon. If we keep Lennon then it really is a complete wasted pick swap. Terrible outcome.
I'd be moving on both Batchelor and Lennon

CC TIGER said:

That’s a really smart trade by the Tigers & Cats. It shows good will between us and Geelong and a very smart manipulation of the points system.

The 15 trade is interesting. Clear sign we think there’s more talent to be had around those picks. If that’s what the club thinks, back them in.

Don’t disagree myself. Better to get more picks inside 30 in this draft. Even spread.