Pick 17, 20 & 25 | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Pick 17, 20 & 25

TigerMasochist said:
Not sure I'm following your thought process BT. We had picks 15 and 17, if a bid came for Naish we'd have to use one of these picks to get him and only have one early pick left.

Trading out 15 for 20 and 25 means we now have three picks to play with, not two. If a bid comes for Naish it's easier to cover the bid and we still have two other picks within the top twenty five to play with.

Previously.
Best case scenario. We get two mid teen elite talented players plus Naish.
Worst case. We get one mid teen elite talented player plus Naish.

Now.
Best case scenario. We get one mid teen elite talented player plus Naish plus a mid twenty player ( because if Naish is any good he won't get to 25 )
Worst cast scenario. Naish plus two 20s players.

I'm obviously working on the premise that the higher the picks, the lesser the potential talent.
I like the odds of the best case scenario in our previous configuration.

Blind Turn said:
Previously.
Worst case. We get one mid teen elite talented player plus Naish.

Now.
Worst cast scenario. Naish plus two 20s players.

I'm obviously working on the premise that the higher the picks, the lesser the potential talent.
I like the odds of the best case scenario in our previous configuration.

You're assuming the combined potential talent of 20 and 25 is not as much as the potential talent of 17.

Drawing a long bow IMHO.

YinnarTiger said:
You're assuming the combined potential talent of 20 and 25 is not as much as the potential talent of 17.

Drawing a long bow IMHO.

Of course as we all know, there are no guarantees but yes I am working under the assumption that the lower the pick, the better the player. I'd rather one star than two good players. Am I alone?

Even if the talent between 15-25 is more or less equal, I’d rather have my choice of the talent than waiting for my pick to be dictated by others. Let’s hope someone reaches for a player we didn’t rate as highly and someone slips down the order.

I can’t wait to hear Clark say “we were really surprised he was left for us at that pick”....

SCOOP said:
On Garner, had someone say he had Jayden Hunt’s game style but a better interceptor. Interesting take.

Interesting, I think he's more like Enright but without the raw numbers. High accolade but he's so cool when the heat is on. Needs to work on the tank but the skills are already there. Reckon he slides as the chances of becoming a mid are minimal.

turk-d-tiger said:
So can somebody start a Phantom Draft already !!

Can i have Richmond ;D ;D ;D

Back at work today but will try and put something together tonight.

I like the look of Oscar Allen. moves and tackles very well for a big bloke. his build reminds me of Jon Brown.

I'd be pretty wrapped with Naishy and him and some other blokes.

easy said:
I like the look of Oscar Allen. moves and tackles very well for a big bloke. his build reminds me of Jon Brown.

I'd be pretty wrapped with Naishy and him and some other blokes.

Tested really well, looks like he has heavy legs but gets the job done. I see Jack Darling type impact with Oscar.

Blind Turn said:
Of course as we all know, there are no guarantees but yes I am working under the assumption that the lower the pick, the better the player. I'd rather one star than two good players. Am I alone?

We got Graham at 53 & Bolton at 29 last year so happy to have the extra pick inside 25. We obviously had a preferred target inside the top 10 by trying to deal with the Saints for pick 7 or 8, having missed that the recruiters have recalculated for the best spread.
More likely to get 2 good players from 3 selections than only 2?

bullus_hit said:
Tested really well, looks like he has heavy legs but gets the job done. I see Jack Darling type impact with Oscar.

He strikes me as bit harder than darling? Just a vibe.

My youngest tested for the GC Suns academy yesterday.

won the running vert leap!

they couldnt get their beep tester working.

Im not surprised they finished 17th.

Hope he doesnt get in, although I suspect he will :hihi

bullus_hit said:

20mtr
3.07 -Oscar Allen
3.09 -Jack Riewoldt

Agilty
8.27 - Oscar Allen
8.43 - Jack Riewoldt

Beep
13.3 - jack Riewoldt
YoYo
21.2 - Oscar Allen (not sure about comparison but thinking its around the same or just higher guess 13.8-14.0 beep

3klm
12.26 - Jack Riewoldt
DNT - Allen didnt test 2klm at combine but from reports has a good tank

Vertical jump:
67cm - Allen

Running vertical jump (R):
79cm - Allen

Running vertical jump (L):
88cm - Allen

caesar said:
We got Graham at 53 & Bolton at 29 last year so happy to have the extra pick inside 25. We obviously had a preferred target inside the top 10 by trying to deal with the Saints for pick 7 or 8, having missed that the recruiters have recalculated for the best spread.
More likely to get 2 good players from 3 selections than only 2?

The stars:
Cotchin pick 2.
Martin pick 3.
Riewoldt pick 13.
Rance pick 18. (slider)

These are our undisputed A+ players. None of them were picked in the 20s.
Graham, Bolten show promise. Please don't use them as examples of great players picked later in the draft. Of course, there are exceptions but I'm talking odds not luck. Imagine if pick 15 was the next Rance? Once again my argument is the lower the better

Blind Turn said:
Once again my argument is the lower the better

thats a good one.

Like ive been arguing for years that The Rich have more of the money.

easy said:
thats a good one.

Like ive been arguing for years that The Rich have more of the money.

Reminds me of a Monty Python skit where John Cleese was on a game show and stated that his expert subject matter was " the bleeding obvious" :hihi

bullus_hit said:
Interesting, I think he's more like Enright but without the raw numbers. High accolade but he's so cool when the heat is on. Needs to work on the tank but the skills are already there. Reckon he slides as the chances of becoming a mid are minimal.

Enright was a great interceptor, maybe the best at peeling off at the right time. So we know that Garner can intercept, we also know he has outstanding leadership qualities. And he has a great kick. If he has the run and carry, which I think he does, the Hunt calls are interesting. You would only be drafting him as an attacking back flanker.

We aren't exactly screaming out for attacking HBFs though? Markov, Short, Houli, with Bolton a likely type and Naish/Smith to come in also.

Blind Turn said:
The stars:
Cotchin pick 2.
Martin pick 3.
Riewoldt pick 13.
Rance pick 18. (slider)

These are our undisputed A+ players. None of them were picked in the 20s.
Graham, Bolten show promise. Please don't use them as examples of great players picked later in the draft. Of course, there are exceptions but I'm talking odds not luck. Imagine if pick 15 was the next Rance? Once again my argument is the lower the better
Just about everything discussed about the draft this year is that it's a very even draft, no real standouts in the first half dozen kids, we were never going to get a selection this early. Even from the first handful to around thirty in the phantom's and draft watchers speculation, there's not a standout player or group of players. There's simply a bunch of reasonably good youngsters to pick from, might be the perfect year to draft for needs without worrying about missing an exceptional talent.
Worst case scenario for us now is we get Naish n two other decent kids, worst case scenario previously was we get Naish n one other decent kid. Extremely unlikely I know, but there is still a miniscule chance we get three decent kids n snaffle Naish with our fourth selection.

Giardiasis said:
We aren't exactly screaming out for attacking HBFs though? Markov, Short, Houli, with Bolton a likely type and Naish/Smith to come in also.

Yeah it’s a fair point. I see Garner as an upgrade on the Broad role at the right time, Garner is 188cm right now and may push out to 190.* Edit he is listed at 184 at some sites if he is 184 then he is the mix with the guys listed above, so it probs makes him surplus to needs* Broad is a surprising 192cm tho. But I see them as interchangeable with Garner offering much more on the rebound.

If we don’t take him I won’t be shattered.

Blind Turn said:
Sorry but where did it say without a bid??
I clearly wrote that they obviously believe someone will bid early thereby forcing us to bid.
Other clubs will bid on him if they clearly believe he's worth it. That's unfortunately feasible and that's why I would have kept our previous draft order. Can't convince myself that he'll last to 25. If so then that's probably all he's worth and we're all just romancing.
It didn't i was wanting to clarify the post.
P.S with our pick trades we now have a far better way to get him & get some others from the draft as well which is why we did it.