Patrick Dangerfield | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Patrick Dangerfield

Should the Tigers trade Pick 4 for Patrick Dangerfield?

• Total voters
zippadeee said:
Varcoe will be a star, better then tampo by a mile.

I'm not disagreeing but I think Varcoe is overrated. Anyone could look good surrounded by Ablett, Bartel, Selwood, Chapman, etc and he hasn't done much more than Tambling to date. Only year he's been much better than Tambling is this year (not trying to stick up for Tambling by the way). If Varcoe was at Richmond he would be rated as an average player. Anyways, we're getting off-topic.

everyone that wears a Richmond jumper is supposedly average, varcoe has been really good this year.
anyone that stands out at Richmond, would be a gun at geelong lids, cotchin, foley

http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_player_compare?tid1=10&pid1=1621&tid2=15&pid2=1487&type=A&fid1=O&fid2=O

Varcoe and Tambling tracking very similar paths when comparing at time age. The question will be whether Varcoe can extend from here. Is tracking upwars in a very similar way to Tambling, in fact scarily similar.

zippadeee said:
everyone that wears a Richmond jumper is supposedly average, varcoe has been really good this year.
anyone that stands out at Richmond, would be a gun at geelong lids, cotchin, foley
It's hard to soar like an eagle when you are surrounded by turkeys
Vice versa applies also

Wow. I must be missing something with Dangerfield.

Sure he looks like being a solid 10 year player at the moment, but to give up pick 4 for him at this stage would be ludicrous IMO.

A draft pick that high, if its going to be traded, should be used on an outstanding prospect or established star only. And for mine Dangerfield is neither at this point in time.

Good player, would consider exchanging first round picks with Adelaide and giving them our 2nd rounder possibly (providing we get the priority pick at the beginning of the 2nd round).

Otherwise for pick 4 only - too expensive.

I'd prefer Darling or Day ATS.

We forget the key issue. Would he want to come?

zippadeee said:
getting back to Dangerfield we should offer rance, tampling or white plus our 2nd round selection, the kid is a fantastic footballer, he is worth chasing..

Not sure that would even be considered. Adelaide are very astute, and you don't swap and A grader for a goody bag of questionable quality!

GoodOne said:
http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_player_compare?tid1=10&pid1=1621&tid2=15&pid2=1487&type=A&fid1=O&fid2=O

Varcoe and Tambling tracking very similar paths when comparing at time age. The question will be whether Varcoe can extend from here. Is tracking upwars in a very similar way to Tambling, in fact scarily similar.

All stats, except goals, fail to take into account the quality of the disposals. According to stats a three metre handball to a guy about to get tackled, is the same as a looping handball to a team mate in a dangerous position - that could breal a game open.

Watching Varcoe this year, he gets a lot of disposals across half forward, where he uses his posession to great affect. Almost always dishing off to a player who is in a far better position or going deep into attack. Richie is barely ever this creative or effective.

Spanish Prisoner said:
All stats, except goals, fail to take into account the quality of the disposals. According to stats a three metre handball to a guy about to get tackled, is the same as a looping handball to a team mate in a dangerous position - that could breal a game open.

Watching Varcoe this year, he gets a lot of disposals across half forward, where he uses his posession to great affect. Almost always dishing off to a player who is in a far better position or going deep into attack. Richie is barely ever this creative or effective.

Hey don't get me wrong, I am a Varcoe fan, even have him in my SC team. However, I think you do have to take account at least a little the surrounding players. Geelong are a well drilled team. As a player it is far easier to dispose well in a team that has players who excel at positioning and talking and also with a team plan where the left hand always knows what the right hand is doing. Swap clubs, Tambling at Geelong and Varcoe at Richmond and I am sure there'd be a difference. I agree though on the face if it Varcoe looks like he is alot more creative to me. In fact its one of my issues with Tambling is that he seems to be very predictable with the ball, which is not necessarily a bad thing a percentage of the time, but the creativity aspect is what separates classy players from honest players.

GoodOne said:
In fact its one of my issues with Tambling is that he seems to be very predictable with the ball, which is not necessarily a bad thing a percentage of the time, but the creativity aspect is what separates classy players from honest players.

Fair points. This has always been my issue with Richie too. I think he gets the ball and either gives to a poor option (ie another player under more pressure than him) or runs very fast into a poor position and ends up being tackled or turning the ball over.