Open Mike | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Open Mike

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
Last night's interview with Rex Hunt was really interesting to hear. It was nothing but absolute honesty from Rexy regarding his demotion in football commentary and his personal issues. I can't believe how 3AW saw this goose in Brian Taylor as a better commentator than Rexy....just amazes me. Even the larrikinism on Triple MMM wasn't good enough to suit Rexy's one-liners as they quietly told him to ease up. Maybe Sooky Lyon complained ....who knows.....or was it Eddie?

Looking at some of his Richmond days, he was the 'McGun' of our team in attack, and I must admit his little eulogy on Clinton Grybas later in the interview really bought a gulp to the throat........"he was a beautiful man..." Miss ya heaps on the radio Rexy.

Rex is still calling footy - only being broadcast on country radio stations - AFL Live broadcasting.

I always loved listening to Rex as a kid, but then he got a bit too much for me. I could never work out where the ball was most of the time because of the theatrics going on in the commentary box.

My favourite moment was when Ron Barrassi quit after they kept using a soundbite of him in which he said 'I've smoked one or two marijuana cigarettes'. :hihi The final straw was Rex saying 'Ron has just rejoined us in the box, where have you been Ron?' they played the soundbite and that was the last time Ron was ever on.

You other loved or hated Rex. Since we're being open and honest I have to say I hated his commentary.

GoodOne said:
You other loved or hated Rex. Since we're being open and honest I have to say I hated his commentary.

Love him because he's a Tiger premiership player. Couldn't stand his commentary.

Was never a big fan of Rexy's commentary and I lacked opinion on him as a man. I could appreciate that he brought colour, flair and fun to calling the sport that attracted fans and created interest.

But to be honest, I found the interview pretty self-indulgent. Not Mike's best 30mins for mine, and I really like the show.

Rex is an entertainer - love him or hate him he is a very successful person.

hopper said:
Was never a big fan of Rexy's commentary and I lacked opinion on him as a man. I could appreciate that he brought colour, flair and fun to calling the sport that attracted fans and created interest.

But to be honest, I found the interview pretty self-indulgent. Not Mike's best 30mins for mine, and I really like the show.

It is supposed to be self-indulgent and introspective. The questions were certainly framed that way. They have all been introspective. Bit harsh on Rex I think.

tigertime2 said:
Rex is an entertainer - love him or hate him he is a very successful person.

How many time has "Rex's Fishing" been copied?
Only man who could make fishing exciting.

Good footballer, great media person, brought colour, flair and a positive difference, brilliant tribute to Clinton Grybas, nobody could've said it better, but a pig of a bloke who has put his family through a lot of embarrassment, shame, and humiliation.

I used to enjoy Rex's commentary except when it was a Richmond game, then I detested it. It got old though and toward the end, his ego was so far out of control that I was glad to see (hear) him gone.

Jukes Extended said:
I love Rexy's commentary, it was original and humorous with all these nicknames he gave players.

Now these days we have BT ::)
Woweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!! The Weapon!!!! The Dukes!!!!!

JR8 said:
Big Rexy certainly wasnt everybody's cup of tea.

I personally didnt mind. Entertaining to listen to.

Who could ever forget his "RICHO RICHO Man"!! :hihi

I loved a lot of his one-liners but his funniest was whenever we played the Blues, Pies or Bummers with a huge crowd and kicked a goal to seal the game, he always boosted the excitement by calling out: "and the Tiger crowd have gone ape droppings!!!"..... :hihi