Only 3 Teams Can Win the 2015 Premiership (Haw/Syd/Port). Agree or Disagree? | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Only 3 Teams Can Win the 2015 Premiership (Haw/Syd/Port). Agree or Disagree?

graystar1 said:
As usual the Hawks and Swans are a shoe in again for the finals...year in and year out. According to Mick Malted Milk, Carlton will also make it.

Of the others, anyone's guess. Most likely are Collingwood...they believe in themselves every year, Port Adelaide, Geelong again, Essendon reckon they can make it, specially if no suspensions.

That leaves one spot up for grabs.

North, GC Tigers, WC will all be vying for that spot, as well as who knows who at this stage.
GC Tigers? Do you know something else the rest of us don't, gray?

CarnTheTiges said:
GC Tigers? Do you know something else the rest of us don't, gray?

Very observant of you CTC. :cutelaugh

My typo error. Should have put a comma after the GC ,

Sintiger said:
We all have opinions on what will happen before a season starts and thankfully things change in footy. Teams do actually rise up and down the ladder.

I actually have a contrarian view this year. I think a few teams will struggle but that there are 13-14 legitimately decent teams and that this year is going to be very even and a year of surprises. Because of that my feeling is that there may be a team or two right in it at the pointy end who we don't expect ( hopefully us ;D ) .

I also don't share the conventional view that seems to be that Port Adelaide are some sort of top 4 certainty. They play a style that is very difficult to maintain for a whole season and they fell away quite badly for 6-8 weeks in 2014 mid season and ended up winning the same number of games in the home and away season as Richmond did in 2013. They had a great final series but in reality you have to be top 4 to win a flag and I am not sure they will finish there to be honest.

I reckon this is going to be a very closely fought season, far closer than is expected.

Agree with this. Firstly, Port could just as easily miss the 8 as make the GF, they remind me of West Coast, came up fast, then back to their level pretty quickly also. Otherwise, I think injuries, age and drafting make the variables too wide to be making big calls. Hawks will win it though :)

smasha said:
Wouldn't it be boring and just about kill the game if one of the three bandwagon teams wins it as Ian 4 has suggested.

it will be boring for most teams... perhaps not us because our goal isn't to win the flag but to win a final.

LeeToRainesToRoach said:
Think North is in with a fighting chance, this year only. The planets would need to align for other teams.

That going by your numbers LTRTR?

Leysy Days said:
That going by your numbers LTRTR?

Not really, but they're one of the most senior teams and have a good spread of talent across the park, with youngsters like Turner, McDonald and Brown having already shown plenty and set to go up a cog. Might come down to whether Harvey & Petrie have another good year left in them.

Few seem to be taking North seriously, but they're a definite contender for mine.

Hardwick has stated (on Sunrise this morning) that we are a chance this season.
Is that wishful thinking or is he thinking about his coaching future?

What's was the alternative, he says, on national media, we're not a chance this year?

I agree with Ian but I would add North in with a chance. They need to get to a grand final the next two years before a slight drop off. Won't be out of finals but will come back to that 5th to 8th bracket that is a slippery slope. If things go 10% wrong you can miss but I think they have enough young talent coming up that can hold them in the finals.

disagree with north. their recruiting last year reminded me of Richmond circa 2002. their midfield, while quality, is still one-paced and their talls are injury prone and can lack consistency. yes, they have a decent team, but are not flag contenders IMO.

Ian4 said:
disagree with north. their recruiting last year reminded me of Richmond circa 2002. their midfield, while quality, is still one-paced and their talls are injury prone and can lack consistency. yes, they have a decent team, but are not flag contenders IMO.
Yep, in 2017 theyll be rueing getting Waite and Missy.

Ian4 said:

No it's different. North signed Free Agents and kept their draft picks. In 2002, we traded back in picks and out in picks. The Kane Johnson deal was a shocker looking back. But North signed short term free agents while still loading up on youngsters. Cap space has been taken up but they still bring in a undercurrent of kids.

It's only trading out picks that can really hurt your future, the short term free agency hits don't hinder your future. It's the way to accelerate your window once you are in the finals. I actually agree with the strategy.

tigertim said:
Yep, in 2017 theyll be rueing getting Waite and Missy.
Higgins may be okay, but Waite will be a bust. I can't see much changing from when he was at the Blues, spent more time injured, suspended or out of form than he did playing decent football.

SCOOP said:
No it's different. North signed Free Agents and kept their draft picks. In 2002, we traded back in picks and out in picks. The Kane Johnson deal was a shocker looking back. But North signed short term free agents while still loading up on youngsters. Cap space has been taken up but they still bring in a undercurrent of kids.

It's only trading out picks that can really hurt your future, the short term free agency hits don't hinder your future. It's the way to accelerate your window once you are in the finals. I actually agree with the strategy.

Agreed. They've done pretty well through FA I reckon. They'll definitely be thereabouts this year, monty for the double chance IMO considering they only play Hawthorn, Sydney and Port once apiece. How they ended up with a draw as soft as theirs after finishing 4th last year, I'll never know.

CarnTheTiges said:
Higgins may be okay, but Waite will be a bust. I can't see much changing from when he was at the Blues, spent more time injured, suspended or out of form than he did playing decent football.

Will find it easier as a third or fourth forward than as the main goalscorer, as he was over the last two years at Carlton.

He only makes sense if they're shooting for a flag.

LeeToRainesToRoach said:
Will find it easier as a third or fourth forward than as the main goalscorer, as he was over the last two years at Carlton.

He only makes sense if they're shooting for a flag.

They played off to make the Grand Final. You can't get closer. That's the time to make these moves. It's 100% the right way to go. Build till you are close and then sign Free Agents. We need to win two finals to get to that level. Higgins was a great fit for everything we are lacking. We need that type. For what ever reason, we haven't goe hard after big name free agents. Maybe we are gathering pace for this year but we need to start moving up in this area and becoming a player.