Only 3 Teams Can Win the 2015 Premiership (Haw/Syd/Port). Agree or Disagree? | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Only 3 Teams Can Win the 2015 Premiership (Haw/Syd/Port). Agree or Disagree?

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
this issue has been on my mind for a couple of months... I've been waiting for the right thread or right moment to raise it, but in the end, I thought 'bugger this' and decided to start a new thread.

2 weeks out from round 1, I am 100% convinced there are only 3 teams that can win it (Hawthorn, Sydney and Port). I don't give any team outside of those 3 any chance whatsoever. I find this extremely concerning and is more evidence that the league's policies aren't working.

do you agree or disagree? if you give disagree, please state which team/s outside of these 3 can win it and provide a supporting statement as to why you think they can.

cheers.

Disagree. Too early to make such a claim for me. I tip the Hawkers to win again (if we don't get there) but I don't think too much should be read into pre season praccy games or spam. Plenty to happen between now and September. Injuries and suspensions can change things bigtime. I wouldn't be surprised if another team or two step up. Wouldn't have a clue which ones at this stage.

Id say they are the favorites but agree with Rosy, to early for me to agree that its a 3 horse race!

Strongly disagree. I reckon that same statement would appear to be true at the start of every season. As often as not, it doesn't materialise.

I think people are writing off Freo/Ross far too easily imo.

They've got some very good young kids coming through who will take the pressure off the old guard.

Carter said:
Brisbane and Richmond will give the top four a solid nudge.

Brisbane? Dynamite midfield but nothing at either end, they'll be lucky to crack the top 10 IMO.

North will be thereabouts and could nab it if the circumstances are right.

St Kevin said:

They've got some very good young kids coming through who will take the pressure off the old guard.

they do have some good young players, but i think at the moment to really contend they are still heavily on Pavlich up front, McPharlin down back and Sandilands in the ruck. they can cover those guys during the H&A but to be a chance in the GF i reckon they will need those 3 fit and in form.

Disagree. Way too early. Hawthorn are deserved favourites at this stage, but it doesn't take a lot to derail a side and there always seems to be a surprise packet lurking around somewhere. There's a great speech on a Richmond pre season video (by an American coach I think) about how in sports, especially team sports, the favourites don't always win because there are too many intangibles.

Ian4 said:
I am 100% convinced there are only 3 teams that can win it (Hawthorn, Sydney and Port).

I'd say 100% right one of those 3 teams will be in the granny, but thats as far as I'd go.

Brodders17 said:
they do have some good young players, but i think at the moment to really contend they are still heavily on Pavlich up front, McPharlin down back and Sandilands in the ruck. they can cover those guys during the H&A but to be a chance in the GF i reckon they will need those 3 fit and in form.

I think Ballantyne and Walters are two of the best small forwards in the comp. Judging off this preseason Taberner and Leysy's boy Crozier look to be taking a leap as well. Add in a talent like Fyfe, that's plenty of help for Pav imo.

As good as McPharlin is/has been, the Ross Lyon team defence is still the star of the show imo. They had games where Mayne, Taberner and Silvagni were the tall defenders and still held up well.

Tigers of Old said:
Will you be betting your house on it then?

not really much of a gambler, but I do think its as close to a certainty as you can get.

St Kevin said:

I reckon it'll be Freo, NM, gold coast and us fighting for 4th spot, but they have zero chance of winning the flag... they just don't score enough goals for mine. plus their old farts are still their best players (Fyfe aside).

Stylo said:
North will be thereabouts and could nab it if the circumstances are right.

agree north will be thereabouts in terms of finals (4-8), but their recruiting last year was terrible IMO. no chance of winning the flag.

Not sure about this, just like Rosy, it is too early to make predictions.

Having said that, at this stage, it appears that the Hawks and Swans appear to have the best chance....yet again. Over the past few years only a handful of teams have made the grand final, as I read somewhere.

Same old, same old, year in year out.

graystar1 said:
Over the past few years only a handful of teams have made the grand final, as I read somewhere.

Same old, same old, year in year out.

the last grand finals of the past 7 years have been represented by only 6 teams (Geelong, st Kilda, Collingwood, hawthorn, Sydney, freo). and if port make the GF this year, this stat will change to 7 teams in 9 years. hawthorn and Geelong have won 6 of the past 8 flags between them. very damning if you ask me.