Mykelti Lefau | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Mykelti Lefau

Meanwhile Max King gets a "positive result" from his knee scan.

Have we had a single "positive" or "encouraging " result from any scan for anything this season?

• Angry
Reactions: 4 users
I'm shattered for Mykelti, he has been about the only positive from a disastrous season.

• Angry
Reactions: 18 users
Is that cursed tiger skin back at the club?
5 ACL's after 12 games ,F*#k me..

• Sad
  • Angry
Reactions: 3 users
I'm shattered for Mykelti, he has been about the only positive from a disastrous season.
Mykelti is an old fashioned footballer who plays to his strengths. A good eye, hard at it, good hands, good kick and afraid on no one . Losing him is going to hurt us badly as he has been about our only functioning forward since Lynch's cameo appearance early on in the season. On positives, he is one of a number of them like Brown, Campbell, McAuliffe, Ralphsmith, Miller and maybe Smith and Green so it looks like we do have a future in the coming season or two

Reactions: 4 users
And it’s his ‘good’ knee, at least it was - so from now on he is on 2 ACL knees, makes it very hard
Not sure if it's any more problematic than having it done to the same knee twice. If the first repair is done grafting some hamstring tendon then perhaps doing a similar graft to the same leg may create possible issues down the track with hamstrings on that leg? I defer to anyone who has more knowledge in this area.

The ACL epidemic is possibly more related to the quality of the grounds. It used to be that most ACLs would occur in the opening weeks of the season when the grounds were hard and there was less give with impact. By winter the game was played on slop and the ACLs would stop occurring.

If the AFL was serious about preventing injuries, including concussions from sling tackles, they'd replace the turf with playground rubber.
Could iinjuries have anything to do with punt rd oval surface?

Surely they all just can’t be bad luck. Bad luck would be 2 ACL’s over a whole season.

Reactions: 1 user
this is so *smile*!!! really feel for kelti, hopefully it doesnt derail his career, another 12 months out of the game, when he's only just got his shot, at 25yrs of age, is not great for his development imo. what the *smile* is going on???!!!

Reactions: 1 user
Could iinjuries have anything to do with punt rd oval surface?

Surely they all just can’t be bad luck. Bad luck would be 2 ACL’s over a whole season.
If they all occurred at Punt Road it may be a factor but they didn't. This is what I saw...Lefau appeared to leap up for the mark then his knee hit the back of the Cats player in front of him causing his fwd motion to slow down. Then he lowered his right leg seaching for the ground below him and it straightened below him as it contacted the ground, causing too much force to be absorbed by his joints rather than his muscles. If he could have landed with a bent knee and rolled onto his side then his leg muscles may have absorbed the impact. ACLs have also been done landing on a bent leg with the leg folding underneath the player. Then you can have Rance's injury when he came down on an opponent's foot causing his knee to give way. We would have to ban players flying for high marks to avoid these possible ACL causes but that is ridiculous. So we live with the risks and put it down to bad luck and unfortunate circumstances. If we haven't had many in recent years then maybe we were due based on the nature of the game, the laws of probability and the firmness of the modern grounds?
Can we train players to have more awareness of where their legs are in mid-air and where the ground is below them? Probably not, it all happens too fast.
Be interesting to examine high flyers from the past to see how they controlled their landings without doing ACL injuries.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Horrible horrible news.

Cannot ever recall and injury run like it. 5 ACL's in a year

Yes our S&C program needs a massive review. But those types on injuries are just plain luck. Nothing else.

Reactions: 1 users
Awful news but hopefully the boys can all support each other through recovery.

Reactions: 2 users
Awful news but hopefully the boys can all support each other through recovery.
There's enough blokes in the injury squad they could hire themselves a weekend party bus any time one or two are feeling a bit sad n in need of support.

Was improving with every game and with another preseason under his belt would have been a great asset next to Lynch next year. *smile*, this one hurts probably the most.

Reactions: 5 users