Much maligned Dean Polo | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Much maligned Dean Polo

Harry said:
He's not the full package, isn't quick and lacks kicking penetration but has more ability and smarts than alot on the list

I agree should be in the team and left there. And we all know that he can run out the whole game.

thegdog said:
Tucky is just a scapegoat. He is a gun when played in the midfield and plays extractor role. Essendon Carlton and collingwood are stupid for not picking him up this year. He would be a godsend giving watson a chop out he would be amazing dishing ball out to judd and would go alright dishing out to pendelbury.

I noticed Tucky got 3 votes on the weekend in the AFL coaches award. The coaches must have thought he played OK.
I actually agree with your scapegoat claim. Have a look at Ball at Collingwood. Even Watson at Essendon has disposal issues. In my opinion Swan at Collingwood also has disposal issues and he is regarded as one of the top players in the game. I don't think Richmond's poor results are driven by Tucky's disposal alone. In some circumstances a quick kick is required - should we have a spot on the ground where that quick kick is to be directed at and plan for that - or should someone be running by for a handball receive when the pressure is on. We need to get the overall team dynamic right and play to players strengths and weaknesses.

By the way - I reckon Polo is a good footballer and in our best 22. I suspect they are trying to sort him out on workrate and general attitude.

I think half of Tuck's disposal problems are due to the fact that when he gets the ball, there are no team mates around presenting an obvious option.

Actually, I think it's a problem all of our extractors have. Foley is lucky he can sprint out by himself so doesn't need team mates.

Martin is obviously the exception that proves my rule....

I don't know this as fact, but I get the feeling that Hardwick has been listening to Cambo, as he should early on, but now forming his own views on his own experiences with these players. Hardwick's experience with Tucky would be vastly different to the experiences Cambo had with Tuck - pure and simple.

Baloo said:
I think half of Tuck's disposal problems are due to the fact that when he gets the ball, there are no team mates around presenting an obvious option.

Actually, I think it's a problem all of our extractors have. Foley is lucky he can sprint out by himself so doesn't need team mates.

Yeah, talked once before about the receiver having just as much responsibility as the sender (kicker / handballer) to acheive possession control. Don't think our team has been good at this, looking at how average our average player are.

Sorry lets nip this 'no receiver' rubbish about Tuck in the bud.

Has anyone ever seen Tuck change gear either up or down, to draw an opponent or to make it easier for a receiver.

Has anyone seen Tuck baulk, side step or evade a layer to break a line.

When Tuck dawdles up the from the backline with his confused visage, has anyone ever see him stop, change direction and kick to a free man rather than "oh 3 on 1 up ahead their way, well I'm facing that way so i have to kick it there...ummmm why dont I just look as If I'm delicately picking out a target and just lob it on Nason's head I'm sure he'll beat Sandilands, Pav and Hill. If not then it will look like I at least thought about it."

He is a selfish kick chaser, he does not make it easier for a teammate, in fact it's sipposedly not in his job description to actually make something happen with the ball, he'll kick it forward or give someone a hospital handpass and then keep playing kick chasey - oh and some one else can defend too!!

i actually think this point (not solely in reference to tuck) has merit, ALL the players look confused coming from half back with no target up forward, it was why last year we went sideways so much

i mentioned this last year and suggested we put the bronze statue of Jack Dyer at centre half forward and just get everyone to kick it at that and hope our crumbers could get if from there!

lamb22 said:
Sorry lets nip this 'no receiver' rubbish about Tuck in the bud.

Has anyone ever seen Tuck change gear either up or down, to draw an opponent or to make it easier for a receiver.

Has anyone seen Tuck baulk, side step or evade a layer to break a line.

When Tuck dawdles up the from the backline with his confused visage, has anyone ever see him stop, change direction and kick to a free man rather than "oh 3 on 1 up ahead their way, well I'm facing that way so i have to kick it there...ummmm why dont I just look as If I'm delicately picking out a target and just lob it on Nason's head I'm sure he'll beat Sandilands, Pav and Hill. If not then it will look like I at least thought about it."

He is a selfish kick chaser, he does not make it easier for a teammate, in fact it's sipposedly not in his job description to actually make something happen with the ball, he'll kick it forward or give someone a hospital handpass and then keep playing kick chasey - oh and some one else can defend too!!

perfectly summed up. no evasive skills and massive blinkers. gets the ball alot but not much happens there after. can't blame receivers, they are there he just can't see them. playing tuck in the side is going backwards. he would have been a gun in the 60's and 70's, a liability in 2010.

lamb22 said:
Why is it easy to drop or dump on Dean?

We remember his first up game , but the refrain is "well that was a one off", But he continued to play pretty good footy in 2006, young rookie who was given big jobs for a kid. Played 17 games all up for about 15 possessions a game - not bad. Coburg watchers will attest to his great form at Coburg earlier that year including a pantsing of Buddy in the VFL anzac day game.

Fast forward to 2009 and he plays 21 games at half back averaging over 17 possessions a game, including 7 games of 20 possessions or more and lots of contested stuff, running into packs and decent distribution. General consensus was he played OK in 2009. So pretty serviceable in 38 games out of his 53 just in those years alone

And yet he struggles to get a game again this year even after doing a fair job on Goodes in round 3, and in between 2006 and 2009 he played 14 games (still averaging over 15 possessions)

His form at Coburg in 2005 and 2006 before his debut was very good but it took ages for him to debut.

His form in 2007,2008 and 2010 at Coburg generally top notch. Polo again won the Anzac day best player on Saturday.

So what's the deal with Dean. We all know he can improve but he is young , has performed consistently over a long period and yet gets overlooked time and time again and then gets shifted from ________ to breakfast, never eased in, always given the tough jobs.

All the time I get to watch White, Rance , Tuck, Jackson Thompson, Hislop and some not ready youngsters strut their stuff at the top level.

So again I ask what's the deal with Deano!

where's craig? :hihi

but seriously, another quality post from L22. agree with all of it. DP has been harshly treated by our match committee over the years, but there have also been rumours about his attitude - in that he seems to get a little ahead of himself at times.

I really like Polo and think he shows something however was disturbed during the week to hear from someone that Polo and three other players hate Richmond and only stay as they dont think they will get a game anywhere else. Hopefully our club can change this feeling in our players for the future with the new culture our hierarchy are trying to implement.

should be playing every game. gives his all and has ability no doubt about it.
would like to see him play as our tagger cause he has some agression about him, hates being beaten, and can win his own ball and be creative goin fwd.