Much maligned Dean Polo | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Much maligned Dean Polo

TigerMasochist said:
Think he got in a touch of strife after he had his shoulder repaired, was bit more interested in the sauce than proper rehab.
My main b!tch about him is his dumb mistakes and skill errors when the heats on down the backline.
Would prefer to see if he could make it as a traditional type wingman. Takes a decent mark, runs the lines o.k. if he has a bit of room, contests hard at scrimmages and can be a reasonable kick at goal.

In games I've seen Polo's actually better the tighter the game gets.

I think because he puts himself in the gun to win the hard ball against the odds he may appear to make a few mistakes. His goalsaving plays way outnumber anything he may have given away.

Polo has just got himself to blame with what happened at Sydney and would have travelled across the Nullabor. I expect him to be selected against the Cats considering his satisfactory performance against Box Hill and of course another medal ;D.

Like I said earlier this year, it's time for Polo to take the next step in his career. Was named as emergency Round 1 & Round 2, named in Round 3 & dropped Round 4. Not sure if Hardwick is telling him something to get his arse into gear because he can see he his potenial but is not applying himself to the plan at training.

Not amongst the favourite players on here but is not the worst. Needs to do much more work on his kicking, apart from that, he has the endurance and quick hands, I think his hand skills are his greatest asset.

Time will tell what Dean Polo wants to do with his future.

tigerfan1961 said:
Is better than Tucky or Jacko, that is for sure!

Thanks for your OPINION, however misguided.

So you want to exclude Tuck and Jackson. Who do you put in to the guts then.
- Martin, the first year kid who should have been nursed thru this year with short stints, not as our main midfielder.
- Foley who's coming off a serious ankle injury and surgery.
- Cotchin who has fitness concerns after not completing a single pre-season without injury.
- Cousins the thirty year old recovering drug addict struggling for fitness after a poor pre-season.
- Thomson who at this stage at least is not anywhere near as good as Tuck or Jackson.
- Deledio who doesn't want to get the hard job and shows his dislike of the job by not performing.

It really does annoy the hell out of me that Dean is one of the pet targets - like Jackson and Tuck.
So much so that if one is "allowed" a game on consistently displayed good form then one of the other targets has to be the one making way.
Not the petulant, selfish favourites, just the usual supects in the shooting gallery.

Rd 1 Jackson 23 disposals - 2nd best after Connors
Rd 2 Jackson 22 disposals - equal 2nd after Newman
Rd 3 Jackson 25 disposals - most Tuck 16 disposals off HBF thanks to Campbell
Rd 4 Jackson 19 disposals - injured? Tuck 31 disposals most, thanks to Lade and Hardwick FO Campbell
Rd 5 Tuck 29 disposals - most

Oh that's right, you can't dispute the fact that these two guys get the most possessions so let's devalue them by saying their disposals are not as valuable as other players. What a crock!

Much maligned indeed!

Tiger_4_Life said:
He was great for Coburg on Saturday, and deserves a game based on his form on the weekend alone. Would love to see him run through the midfield, he has a hard body to compete with the best, definitely has a massive upside. People tend to forget he's still quite young, we shouldn't write him off for at least another 18 months. I remember a lot of saints fans had put a black mark through Montagna and they both share similair traits IMO.

Other than pace and kicking skills

RedanTiger said:
Thanks for your OPINION, however misguided.

So you want to exclude Tuck and Jackson. Who do you put in to the guts then.
- Martin, the first year kid who should have been nursed thru this year with short stints, not as our main midfielder.
- Foley who's coming off a serious ankle injury and surgery.
- Cotchin who has fitness concerns after not completing a single pre-season without injury.
- Cousins the thirty year old recovering drug addict struggling for fitness after a poor pre-season.
- Thomson who at this stage at least is not anywhere near as good as Tuck or Jackson.
- Deledio who doesn't want to get the hard job and shows his dislike of the job by not performing.

It really does annoy the hell out of me that Dean is one of the pet targets - like Jackson and Tuck.
So much so that if one is "allowed" a game on consistently displayed good form then one of the other targets has to be the one making way.
Not the petulant, selfish favourites, just the usual supects in the shooting gallery.

Rd 1 Jackson 23 disposals - 2nd best after Connors
Rd 2 Jackson 22 disposals - equal 2nd after Newman
Rd 3 Jackson 25 disposals - most Tuck 16 disposals off HBF thanks to Campbell
Rd 4 Jackson 19 disposals - injured? Tuck 31 disposals most, thanks to Lade and Hardwick FO Campbell
Rd 5 Tuck 29 disposals - most

Oh that's right, you can't dispute the fact that these two guys get the most possessions so let's devalue them by saying their disposals are not as valuable as other players. What a crock!

Much maligned indeed!
Mate, you are kidding yourself. Up until the last year or so, I have held very high hopes for Jacko but in all honesty. I truly cringe when I see him get the footy. He is an appalling decision maker most of the time and his kicking is iffy, and that is being kind. We will not be a force until he is replaced. Polo is certainly a much better option as at least he is a natural footballer.

As for Tucky, I sat and watched him against Melbourne and one play in particular, I said to my mate "he wont kick it there". To my horror, he did, turnover and another goal. Again, he is not a good decision maker.

I really do love the hardness, toughness and attitude of these two players but they create turnovers and that is what is killing us!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Good post Redan :clap

tigerfan1961 said:
As for Tucky, I sat and watched him against Melbourne and one play in particular, I said to my mate "he wont kick it there". To my horror, he did, turnover and another goal. Again, he is not a good decision maker.

Shock, on turnover in 100 minutes, and the only player mentioned. Did Tucky lose the game for us? Were there a few more turnovers that don't get mentioned, like from Lids, Cotchin et al?

Tucky is just a scapegoat. He is a gun when played in the midfield and plays extractor role. Essendon Carlton and collingwood are stupid for not picking him up this year. He would be a godsend giving watson a chop out he would be amazing dishing ball out to judd and would go alright dishing out to pendelbury.

Phar Ace said:
Good post Redan :clap

Shock, on turnover in 100 minutes, and the only player mentioned. Did Tucky lose the game for us? Were there a few more turnovers that don't get mentioned, like from Lids, Cotchin et al?
Yes, of course there were others. Do you think he can help us get to our next flag?? I wish Shane was a better kick and decision maker but he is not unfortunately. To mention him with Lids and Cotch is more than a little mischievous as they are both class players with footy in hand. They are the types that WILL take us to our next flag. I can 100% guarantee you they would not have kicked the ball where Shane did in the incident I can remember.

tigerfan1961 said:

Agreed Tuck is hopeless. Sooner we move him on the better off we'll be.

thegdog said:
Tucky is just a scapegoat. He is a gun when played in the midfield and plays extractor role. Essendon Carlton and collingwood are stupid for not picking him up this year. He would be a godsend giving watson a chop out he would be amazing dishing ball out to judd and would go alright dishing out to pendelbury.

Except he wouldn't, he'd have Pendlebury and or Judd free but he'd either lob one to the CHB or do something stupid like an overhead handball or have his kick smothered - the ball would rebound into the opponents goal with Juddy and/or Pendlebury running back to minimise the damage and Tuck would scratch his backside waiting for the next bounce so he could play kick chasey again!!

Truly excruciating player to watch wearing the gold and black.

[
tigerfan1961 said:
Yes, of course there were others. Do you think he can help us get to our next flag??

No, of course not, but that wasn't my claim. He gives our kids a chance to use the ball outside instead of being quite so knocked up. Used properly, he's still an asset.

tigerfan1961 said:
I wish Shane was a better kick and decision maker but he is not unfortunately. To mention him with Lids and Cotch is more than a little mischievous as they are both class players with footy in hand.

No, the mischevousness was highlighting just one event in a game and ignoring the other elements. It's quite possible it was a a bad turnover, as has been Newman's kickouts to an opposition, as has been Lid's OOB on the full and Cotch's missed targets, (not necessarily all in the one game) but I won't say these guys are the trouble, like I won't say Tucky is. Let me say as a fullback, that a turnover is not always the making of the kicker - the options sometimes close quicker than a knock shop's venetian blinds.

tigerfan1961 said:
I can 100% guarantee you they would not have kicked the ball where Shane did in the incident I can remember.

Of course you can guarantee that, Shane probably had to hardballget that ball in the first place ;)

tigersnake said:
Polo has been poorly treated this year i reckon. Really arrived last year I reckon, not as a star but as a good solid player. I've got faith in him to be a good contributor to the team. Plenty of strength, and shock horror, a strong body.

Fan of this kid, think he has a good footy brain. Disappointed he is playing in the Magoos.

Would have Polo ahead of Jackson, Tuck, Hislop, Thomson, White in the midfield rotation every day of the week. In a tight situation these guys would usually fumble or get tackled when Polo would quickly dish it out to advantage. Very clean hands in tight.

Polo has been unfairly overlooked. there must be other factors than form and ability. As you say Lamb, Dean has done a few defensive numbers so his defensive side can't be the reason.

He's not the full package, isn't quick and lacks kicking penetration but has more ability and smarts than alot on the list

Phar Ace said:
[
No, of course not, but that wasn't my claim. He gives our kids a chance to use the ball outside instead of being quite so knocked up. Used properly, he's still an asset.

No, the mischevousness was highlighting just one event in a game and ignoring the other elements. It's quite possible it was a a bad turnover, as has been Newman's kickouts to an opposition, as has been Lid's OOB on the full and Cotch's missed targets, (not necessarily all in the one game) but I won't say these guys are the trouble, like I won't say Tucky is. Let me say as a fullback, that a turnover is not always the making of the kicker - the options sometimes close quicker than a knock shop's venetian blinds.

Of course you can guarantee that, Shane probably had to hardballget that ball in the first place ;)
Last point, you are wrong, he got a handball out the back but that is nitpicking on my part!!

Agree to disagree. I just think that he and Jacko turn it over far too much and make bad decisions too often. I will agree with you that they certainly do add hardness where it counts in the middle and they may protect the younger players. I just think that they will not be part of the side when we make progress and we should be throwing in the younger guys now to get experience in the middle. Martin can more than hold his own in there, Polo likewise, Foley as well, even young Andy Collins.

The whole debate started about Dean Polo and I think he is an upgrade on both of the other two players I have mentioned!!

tigerfan1961 said:
Last point, you are wrong, he got a handball out the back but that is nitpicking on my part!!

Agree to disagree. I just think that he and Jacko turn it over far too much and make bad decisions too often. I will agree with you that they certainly do add hardness where it counts in the middle and they may protect the younger players. I just think that they will not be part of the side when we make progress and we should be throwing in the younger guys now to get experience in the middle. Martin can more than hold his own in there, Polo likewise, Foley as well, even young Andy Collins.

The whole debate started about Dean Polo and I think he is an upgrade on both of the other two players I have mentioned!!

Mate, i'm having to agree to disagree a with alot on here at the moment ;D We shall see. Your main point on Polo, I'm not sure that is carved in stone right now, selectors may see it the same way as me (if not injured think Jacko would be in the 22 at the moment - but I agree he can be a butcher, more so than most), at least in recent weeks. Of course all that can change pretty quickly too.

I agree some players have less finesse than others, but when judging a players flaws it can sometimes be a bit like saying "geez, I lost $10 today" when you also earned $50 - sometimes footy, like life, it's not fair, but it is what it is!

The most interesting thing all season will probably be who is in the side when it clicks enough to win a game.

tigerfan1961 said:

Yeah, because you, like the commentators we all complain about, took it as a chance to have a cheap shot at Tuck and Jackson, our two hardest working mids.
The same as Harry above, but I guess anyone that's so in love with Lids that he picks him both as centre and ruckrover has a bit of a blind spot.

Harry said:
We need to address our lack of smarts and kicking asap. players that can't think and kick should not be selected. Simple. Slight allowances made for the taller blokes but there are no excuses for the mediums and smalls. Enough is enough of dumb footballers that can't kick. Once Connors returns put him in for King (push Polo into the midfield rotation with Collins, Edwards and Nason).

The teams not the best but our list is very ordinary. fast track Hicks, Grimes and Griffiths into the 2nds to have a good look. Also rotate Graham with Browne untill one stands up.

In - Thursfield, Morton, Polo, Post, Browne, Webberly, King
Out - Taylor, Tambling, Dea, Simmonds, Farmer, Rance, Tuck

B......Newman........Thursfield..........Webberly
HB....Moore............McGuane...........Polo
C......Martin............Deledio............Cousins
HF.....Morton...........Post................Edwards
F.......Nahas............Riewoldt...........King
R.......Vickery..........Deledio............Foley
Int.....Astbury.....Collins......Nason.....Browne

We need to aim to put together a well oiled machine - enough of the chinks in the chain that ruin any momentum that we might have in our forward thrusts. Have a look at Melbourne - they are young but have class.

Need to persist with the more talented players and see who stands up. Those that do persist with, those that don't replace with the new set of draftees next year. Weed out the good from the bad, find the keepers and get a new batch. Don't waste time trying to teach a kid to kick. We are too far behind the 8 ball for this.

Tiger_4_Life said:
He was great for Coburg on Saturday, and deserves a game based on his form on the weekend alone. Would love to see him run through the midfield, he has a hard body to compete with the best, definitely has a massive upside. People tend to forget he's still quite young, we shouldn't write him off for at least another 18 months. I remember a lot of saints fans had put a black mark through Montagna and they both share similair traits IMO.
yep, remember 3-4 seasons ago the saints fans were moaning and bitchin about joey - trade bait, soft, useless down hill skier were all too familiar comments about montagna back then............
look at him now..... let hope tambling, polo, edwards, jackson morton and co can be around that level this time next year... dont see why not all these boys were top notch juniors.

Personally it really irritates me that they do not give him 5 games playing in the middle in either a run with role or just a general mid role. The guy gets the hard ball, can accumulate the pill and kick a goal.

GIVE HIM A GO HARDWICK!!!!!!!

His first game was no fluke off the wing!!

Can't help but think it's attitude or an unwillingness to play the game plan. Beavis was pretty clear that he needs players that will play the game they way he wants them too.

RedanTiger said:
Yeah, because you, like the commentators we all complain about, took it as a chance to have a cheap shot at Tuck and Jackson, our two hardest working mids.
The same as Harry above, but I guess anyone that's so in love with Lids that he picks him both as centre and ruckrover has a bit of a blind spot.

Not in love with lids - a fan but not in love. missed cotchin so replace one of the lids with him.

Don't dispute that tuck and jackson are hard working but unfortunately imo are not good enough for todays football and persisting with them will not see us progress.