Much maligned Dean Polo | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Much maligned Dean Polo

lamb22

Tiger Legend
Jan 29, 2005
Why is it easy to drop or dump on Dean?

We remember his first up game , but the refrain is "well that was a one off", But he continued to play pretty good footy in 2006, young rookie who was given big jobs for a kid. Played 17 games all up for about 15 possessions a game - not bad. Coburg watchers will attest to his great form at Coburg earlier that year including a pantsing of Buddy in the VFL anzac day game.

Fast forward to 2009 and he plays 21 games at half back averaging over 17 possessions a game, including 7 games of 20 possessions or more and lots of contested stuff, running into packs and decent distribution. General consensus was he played OK in 2009. So pretty serviceable in 38 games out of his 53 just in those years alone

And yet he struggles to get a game again this year even after doing a fair job on Goodes in round 3, and in between 2006 and 2009 he played 14 games (still averaging over 15 possessions)

His form at Coburg in 2005 and 2006 before his debut was very good but it took ages for him to debut.

His form in 2007,2008 and 2010 at Coburg generally top notch. Polo again won the Anzac day best player on Saturday.

So what's the deal with Dean. We all know he can improve but he is young , has performed consistently over a long period and yet gets overlooked time and time again and then gets shifted from ________ to breakfast, never eased in, always given the tough jobs.

All the time I get to watch White, Rance , Tuck, Jackson Thompson, Hislop and some not ready youngsters strut their stuff at the top level.

So again I ask what's the deal with Deano!

Polo has been poorly treated this year i reckon. Really arrived last year I reckon, not as a star but as a good solid player. I've got faith in him to be a good contributor to the team. Plenty of strength, and shock horror, a strong body.

Definatley deserves to get some run with roles,
Jacko has become to much of a ball chaser for a number 1 tagget

He might not have the best attitude?

I'm just speculating, but he was one of the guys suspended in Sydney.

nice thread lamb chop. certainly looks to be getting the raw end of it but i would hazard a guess and say deano gets ahead of himself a bit attitude wise

wayne said:
He might not have the best attitude?

I'm just speculating, but he was one of the guys suspended in Sydney.

That's where I am headed to Wayno. Was his leopard skin hair cut - his 'jump the shark' moment.

I reckon he is probably dismissive of some of our guys footy smarts (with good reason) and maybe he aint shy in saying so?

Another thing I really like about him, keeps his feet, and never goes one-handed.

tigersnake said:
Another thing I really like about him, keeps his feet, and never goes one-handed.

Very balanced and positionally aware player is Deano. Maybe Matt Dea should pay attention.

lamb22 said:
There's no I in Team but maybe all I in Dean?

It's the only thing i could speculate on - agree with the other stuff. And like someone else said, i've always like the way he keeps his feet in a contest, thus staying in a contest. Could be a bit of lad though. Good Post :clap

wayne said:
I'll ask his mum. :hihi

She just say "He's not the Messiah, he's just a naughty little boy!"

Sounds like James Hird with all those qualities. He's pantsed Franklin, Goodes ::)

The only place he could have is Jacksons. He is not good enough for HBF, he always runs into trouble trying to beat tackles (Dean you weigh about 75kg, stop trying to break tackles), and not damaging enough for the forward line. His only hope is as a run with player, he can win the contested ball, is not shy of the contest and has good aerobic capacity. He does lack pace of the mark and speed in general though.

Agree he is a better option than Hislop/White though

He was great for Coburg on Saturday, and deserves a game based on his form on the weekend alone. Would love to see him run through the midfield, he has a hard body to compete with the best, definitely has a massive upside. People tend to forget he's still quite young, we shouldn't write him off for at least another 18 months. I remember a lot of saints fans had put a black mark through Montagna and they both share similair traits IMO.

Agree; been a few puzzling ones this year so far - Polak over Gourdis, Roberts prematurely, to name a few.
Gonna need some strong bodied and strong willed players down at the cattery this weekend so with Bling and Troy out I'd say Deano's a monty to get the nod.

As deans president i have to say im a rap for the kid extremly aggrisive solid skills

he attacks the ball play him in the seniors

Big Cat Lover said:
Sounds like James Hird with all those qualities. He's pantsed Franklin, Goodes ::)

The only place he could have is Jacksons. He is not good enough for HBF, he always runs into trouble trying to beat tackles (Dean you weigh about 75kg, stop trying to break tackles), and not damaging enough for the forward line. His only hope is as a run with player, he can win the contested ball, is not shy of the contest and has good aerobic capacity. He does lack pace of the mark and speed in general though.

Agree he is a better option than Hislop/White though

Now BCL, I said he did a fair job on Goodes. He did however pants Buddy and got an Anzac day game medal to prove it (he loves medals - a bit like Muttley maybe).

I was at the game in 2006. Polo wore Buddy all day and Buddy ended up almost in tears after numerous dummy spits. Polo ran off him and scored 3 goals himself with one also disallowed (bomb from 50) for a goal square infringement. You can keep your rolly eyes to yourself thank you very much ;D

He can be a very damaging player. I dont know why that cold calculating game winning part of his game which he shows so often at Coburg and in game 1, isn't encouraged and yet we are a sheltered workshop for the Rances, Hislops and Mcmahons of the world.

Totally agree.

I don't think we should turn him into a run with player as I think he would do well either on the ball/wing.

If you let him concentrate on winning the ball rather than minding a player I think you will see a different player than what we normally would.

Think he got in a touch of strife after he had his shoulder repaired, was bit more interested in the sauce than proper rehab.
My main *smile* about him is his dumb mistakes and skill errors when the heats on down the backline.
Would prefer to see if he could make it as a traditional type wingman. Takes a decent mark, runs the lines o.k. if he has a bit of room, contests hard at scrimmages and can be a reasonable kick at goal.

Reckon he is definitely a midfielder and should always be in and around the Centre square. Has a good engine but not overly quick. However, I am a rap for him in the midfield as he runs all day, is fearless and puts his body on the line when required, can sneak forward and kick goals and can also play one-on-one when instructed. Is better than Tucky or Jacko, that is for sure!

tigerfan1961 said:
Reckon he is definitely a midfielder and should always be in and around the Centre square. Has a good engine but not overly quick. However, I am a rap for him in the midfield as he runs all day, is fearless and puts his body on the line when required, can sneak forward and kick goals and can also play one-on-one when instructed. Is better than Tucky or Jacko, that is for sure!

I think so too tigerfan. Suits him down to the ground. He has got a terrific sense of positional play and the game situation so he can both defend and attack. He is a hard body. He can be the extra man assisting down back and he can go forward to sniff out a goal or more likely be involved in a score chain. Can play tall and small.

Like you said great engine but not great speed. If you actually have real good mids that go both ways you dont need a heap of taggers.

Unleash the Polo!