MRP | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

MRP

I have been watching footy for a very very long time.
Is concussion more now or we just didn't notice it before?
Naughton went off 10 mins into the game.
Would that happen in a GF?
Not sure Rankine deserved 4 weeks he couldve done that 50 times and 45 times the player wouldve got straight back up.
Rankine copped 4 weeks but Dangerfield sends BigV into orbit and has no case.
The AFL is going pretty badly currently
Are you seriously asking this question or is this just the usual zippy BS?

Now they're gonna appeal the appeal. IMO, he should win. Nothing in it. Not a Richmond player like Bash who they (AholeFL scumbags) would've preferred to be hung.....
it's the weirdest system... convoluted... I'm not a fan of Heeney but agree he'll win

Reactions: 1 user
Now they're gonna appeal the appeal. IMO, he should win. Nothing in it. Not a Richmond player like Bash who they (AholeFL scumbags) would've preferred to be hung.....

Heeney looked at the bloke & hit him, Houli just flung his arm back.

Reactions: 2 users
I have been watching footy for a very very long time.
Is concussion more now or we just didn't notice it before?
Naughton went off 10 mins into the game.
Would that happen in a GF?
Not sure Rankine deserved 4 weeks he couldve done that 50 times and 45 times the player wouldve got straight back up.
Rankine copped 4 weeks but Dangerfield sends BigV into orbit and has no case.
The AFL is going pretty badly currently
In reality, I reckon it's possibly a little higher given the speed of the game, and the amount of people around the ball.

However the liability has escalated so the scrutiny in testing has increased significantly id say. I reckon clubs are more likely to take someone off out of caution, than put them back on the field. Whereas in the old days, if someone whacked you, you'd try stay on so you could return the favour.

In reality, I reckon it's possibly a little higher given the speed of the game, and the amount of people around the ball.

However the liability has escalated so the scrutiny in testing has increased significantly id say. I reckon clubs are more likely to take someone off out of caution, than put them back on the field. Whereas in the old days, if someone whacked you, you'd try stay on so you could return the favour.
Just get players to sign in there contracts
They cannot sue the AFL if they concussion
The Game couldn't be any safer. No ko's behind play. No unexpected bumps. No fish fights.
Other players suffer from knees, back, hip, neck issues.
We need to look after them too.

Just get players to sign in there contracts
They cannot sue the AFL if they concussion
The Game couldn't be any safer. No ko's behind play. No unexpected bumps. No fish fights.
Other players suffer from knees, back, hip, neck issues.
We need to look after them too.
I am going to assume that you're not entirely ignorant of the potential longer term consequences of head injuries. Obviously the potential for immediate and long-term detriment through a head injury is magnitudes greater than a knee injury, and the financial consequences of that for the player and clubs is therefore huge.
You legally can't have someone sign away an employer's duty of care. Even if you could, there's a moral and even product perspective - namely that footy and it's future ability to recruit players and supporters is tied to providing a safe environment.
In summary, all sports globally need to either find a solution (or a minimisation) to head trauma, or cease to exist.

Reactions: 1 users
A lot similar. Main difference is Bach knocked his man out. The golden boy got a week, and there was a whiff of reluctance, the brown muslim got 6 and was hung, drawn, quartered and the AFL intervened to sate the baying horde. I don't blame Heeney mind you, but I'm a little bit sus about there being something wrong with this picture.

If Bachar's was 6 (it was 3 or 4 IMO FWIW), given we've become less tolerant of hits since then in theory, Heeney's was 2 or 3 surely.
Manifestly inadequate was the wording they used when he received 3 weeks. AFL appealed their own tribunals decision to have it sent to appeals (also their own body) to have it further reviewed.
Surely Heaney must go using the Pickett ruling of ‘potential to cause injury’ as should’ve been the case with that Carlton guy who hit mansell high last week.

He swung his arm back with a closed fist And smashed into Webster's nose.
That's 1990's football.
Deserved 2. If Pickett did it, it wouldve been 3 weeks.
He was never going to win the brownlow anyway..
Too many players at Sydney stealing votes off each other, Warner Grundy Gyden Even the foward who kicked 9.
I reckon Merritt or Dacios would win it if the count was done now

I am surprised that anyone would think Heeney did not deserve a suspension. I was not surprised at Longmire's defence and ridiculous statements about his confusion at being unable to instruct his players. He did not try to "push off" the defender to create space. He struck him. In the face. Forcefully. It was not a push. Massive difference.

Don't strike your opponent and you will not be in trouble. It's pretty simple. The MRP gets one right, go figure.

Reactions: 3 users
if you review the entire Leigh Matthews career , cited each incident individually and assigned a penalty
I wonder what the total would have been ?
it would be in excess of 10 years

used to sit right on the fence in the early 70's and you'd get a good view of boundary throw ins and the number of guys he'd elbow in the face when trying to tackle him in any one game was huge

Reactions: 1 users
if you review the entire Leigh Matthews career , cited each incident individually and assigned a penalty
I wonder what the total would have been ?
it would be in excess of 10 years

used to sit right on the fence in the early 70's and you'd get a good view of boundary throw ins and the number of guys he'd elbow in the face when trying to tackle him in any one game was huge
Great player but an absolute thug.
“Greatest player ever” give me a break. Sniper, thug, prick

Reactions: 3 users
Great player but an absolute thug.
“Greatest player ever” give me a break. Sniper, thug, prick
I watched a thing on You Tube a few weeks ago of 'biggest hits' in the AFL-VFL. Leigh Matthews must have appeared in at least 6 or 7 clips. I can say that in every one of them, it was a totally cowardly and gutless act. King hitting guys (eg Bruns), shirt fronting guys with their eyes on the ball etc. etc. There wasn't one single genuinely tough act amongst them.

He was as weak as *smile* for mine Matthews.

• Wow