Movers & sliders | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Movers & sliders

ZeroGame said:
He has a better disposal efficiency % than Deledio

I think you'll find most defenders have better disposal efficiency than mids. Means absolutely nothing in isolation. Dis efficiency one of the most overrated stats in isolation - where were they, how far were they kicking/handballing, what sort of pressure were they under? Too many unknowns.

Big Cat Lover said:
I think you'll find most defenders have better disposal efficiency than mids. Means absolutely nothing in isolation. Dis efficiency one of the most overrated stats in isolation - where were they, how far were they kicking/handballing, what sort of pressure were they under? Too many unknowns.

Would certainly have a lot more relevance against similar type players. FWIW I'd suggest statistically McGuane is no worse than other KPPs in the league on average.

Tigers of Old said:
Would certainly have a lot more relevance against similar type players. FWIW I'd suggest statistically McGuane is no worse than other KPPs in the league on average.

McGuane plays in the backline, so does Deledio. Stats say McGuane is a better kick, do you think that is the case in reality?

Barnzy said:
McGuane plays in the backline, so does Deledio. Stats say McGuane is a better kick, do you think that is the case in reality?

No.

Does Deledio play on the KPFs? Like I said, similar players.

The games I have watched this year Luke's disposal overall has been pretty solid.

SCOOP said:
%100 correct stat.

%100 useless stat.

Interesting - also case in point was the Hawks game this year. After already handing a goal to Roughy, Luke got a free 40 metres out. Already incandescant from the previous blue, trepidation overtook me as Luke looked and then baulked and then shuffled and then meandered crab like back to the goal square and then handballed to Newman with two Hawks bearing down (offered Newy a $hit sanga.). Newy really couldn't walk it through, made some space, got his kick away tried to get some distance, ball dropped short, Hawks marked , goal - we lose by three points.

Stats

Luke - effective possession

Newy - Clanger

Leysy Days said:
Another true point on his goalkicking Scoop. Combination of lack of fitness, playing in generally poor teams so doesnt feel he can run forward of the ball & playing inside a lot more ILO.

On the stat side, heaps of stuff in our game doesnt get picked up by statistics. What the Cotch does to release his teammates will never show up. Genius stuff. Thats why they only take up a small part of how you can rate players ILHO.

That would be one of the goals for Cotchin for the second half of the year, get forward of the ball and do some damage on the scoreboard. No doubt he is pushing more inside. That is one thing he has to do with no Foley. With Foley back he can become more of that goal kicking mid that we need.

Stats miss so much. The stat I like most that has come in to play is score involvements.

SCOOP said:
McGuane- Terrific without the ball, terrible with it and getting worse.
Interesting perception there Scoop.

According to pro-stats.com.au McGuane has had 155 disposals this year 72 kicks & 83 handballs, yet he has committed only 37 turnovers with just 7 kicks going direct to the opposition. Would hardly call that terrible with the ball and getting worse.

Leysy Days said:
On the stat side, heaps of stuff in our game doesnt get picked up by statistics. What the Cotch does to release his teammates will never show up. Genius stuff. Thats why they only take up a small part of how you can rate players ILHO.

Yep, Cotch is a really good example, but some players are not. Cotch has become the elite distributor, his occasional pause button before laying it off is great at helping his teamates look good with the footy - even you could've played beside him IPO ;D

Ruthless Tiger said:

According to pro-stats.com.au McGuane has had 155 disposals this year 72 kicks & 83 handballs, yet he has committed only 37 turnovers with just 7 kicks going direct to the opposition. Would hardly call that terrible with the ball and getting worse.

So were 30 of his turnovers handballs?

GoodOne said:
So were 30 of his turnovers handballs?
I don't think so as its possible some of his turnovers were from kicks that didn't go directly to the opposition.

I’m a Luke fan and reckon his mediocre disposal is made too much of on PRE.  But I reckon he has tread water this year, especially in his strongest area- defence. Since the rest of the AFL keeps improving that means he has gone backwards slightly for mine.

Ruthless Tiger said:

:hihi Don't argue with a mad man RT !

Leysy Days said:
Excellent point on the highlighted Scoop. It doesnt get brought up on here hardly ever.
Its a perfect point on what what seperates natural & quality ball winning midfielders & the rest.

Chimp is already a genius at it. Leysy loves that stuff in a player. Strangely it so often goes unnoticed in the football world.

Yep, the ability to draw the tackler then release to a teammate is a great skill. Cotchin does it, another who does it is Tambling, a great example was his handball is the 1st quarter to Colllins for a goal, another was to Martin in the 3rd (i think), it allowed Martin to break free and hit a target at CHF, i think to lead to another goal.
But your right, this stuff is unnoticed by many.

Tigers of Old said:
So here we are at the bye. Who do PREnders see as the big movers and sliders on the list?

Movers
1. Riewoldt - Has stepped up from an inconsistent third tall to a bonifide gun. Massive improvement.
2. Edwards - Has shown tremendous growth this year under Harwick.
3. Graham - Another who has really come on. Been a revelation this season in the ruck.

Sliders
1. Morton - Struggling with gameplan/attitude/GC offers/whatever. He's not the same player as he was in 2009.
2. Tambling - Injuries/confidence/gameplan? Have seen his form taper. Bling remains an enigma but I feel we are getting closer to seeing the finished product.
3. Thursfield - Struggling to find a position down back and has younger players pressing in a hurry. Feel he needs a strong end to the year to avoid being traded.
Agree with your movers but would maybe add White to that list, has taken some big steps and is now using his pace to great effect. Tambling is not a slider he is just as another poster put it an enigma. He will remain a tiger in my opinion but will always divide opinions.
This may sound stupid but I reckon Deledio is a mover this year. He is much more consistent in his attack on both the body and ball and looks really settled on the half back line. He fast becoming one of the AFL's elite not just lauded by us one eyed supporters but by the competition as a whole. Most impressive is his leadership when the game is on the line.

Tigers of Old said:

Agree. I'd go further and say he's a better mark and more evasive than a lot of name KP backmen, which I reckon is compo for his, (progressively less) clanger kicks. For where our side is at, he's doing his bit, and I reckon there is further improvement.

Brodders17 said:
Yep, the ability to draw the tackler then release to a teammate is a great skill. Cotchin does it, another who does it is Tambling, a great example was his handball is the 1st quarter to Colllins for a goal, another was to Martin in the 3rd (i think), it allowed Martin to break free and hit a target at CHF, i think to lead to another goal.
But your right, this stuff is unnoticed by many.

Tambling had a decent game ILO. Not sure of the criticism of him of last weeks match. There were a couple of nice enough handballs you point out.

But your not seriously comparing him with Cotchin in releasing teammates into space nor in general Handball ability in tight are you?
Its a massive strength of the Chimps, not so with Richie. Miles apart.