Movers & sliders | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Movers & sliders

My movers:

Edwards - Has really stepped up.
White - Finally got his confidence up and getting it together.
Deledio - Yep, Lids. Finally starting to have the consistent impact he should be when he gets the ball.
Vickery - Very promising signs starting to show.
Graham - Same as TV, but probaly not as much upside.
Riewoldt - Getting to the level the club expected.

Sliders:

Tambling - Treading water is not an option.
Polo - Like his namesake Marco, off in the wilderness somewhere.
Thursfield - Always felt he was underrated, but he hasn't played that well this year.
Morton - A player we really need right now, but not there for the team, at least that is what the coach thinks.
Post - Looked to have a future last year, looking lost just now.

McMahon not considered here cause he is already gone. Thomson and Hislop not considered due to lack of game time, probably in the same boat as McMahon.

movers
edwards, ihad him delisted , stepped up big time
white, same as ubove
king , wanted him delisted 5 thousand times, playing a great running shut down roll

hislop, thomson , polak , finished.

Streak said:
My movers:

Edwards - Has really stepped up.
White - Finally got his confidence up and getting it together.
Deledio - Yep, Lids. Finally starting to have the consistent impact he should be when he gets the ball.
Vickery - Very promising signs starting to show.
Graham - Same as TV, but probaly not as much upside.
Riewoldt - Getting to the level the club expected.

Sliders:

Tambling - Treading water is not an option.
Polo - Like his namesake Marco, off in the wilderness somewhere.
Thursfield - Always felt he was underrated, but he hasn't played that well this year.
Morton - A player we really need right now, but not there for the team, at least that is what the coach thinks.
Post - Looked to have a future last year, looking lost just now.

McMahon not considered here cause he is already gone. Thomson and Hislop not considered due to lack of game time, probably in the same boat as McMahon.
I agree with all those Streaker.

And I will add my name to the list of those who want to see Morton back playing the role he was last year. 40 goal forwards don't grow on trees.

Punxsutawney Phil said:
And I will add my name to the list of those who want to see Morton back playing the role he was last year. 40 goal forwards don't grow on trees.

I have kept a text someone sent me after round 3. 'Morton is worth 3 Jacks'. Haven't things changed. I remember Morton as our only forward against Carlton. A quality player who will be back. Still just a boy; just needs to learn to work the other way. Pettifer was a regular 30+ goal kicker, but hopeless going the other way. Probably cost us 30+ + 1 goals a season! If anything, rebounds are more damaging now than in 2007. Morton must learn that defense is critical - even for a forward.

Jack (someone cn help me) has laid a very high number of tackles this season - as well as kicking a lot of goals

sashback said:
Jeezus you love Morton don't you Barnzy??

He is and always has been a lazy footballer. Good on his day, but still lazy. Wallet accepted lazy footballers, Hardwick does not!
Do you blame Hardwick for McMahon's slide too?

As for Tambling, he mightn't be as flashy as he was last year, but he's certainly putting his head over the ball and tackling and going in harder than when Wallet was around.
He's obviously playing a different role under Hardwick.

I agree, I haven't seen a massive slide in Tambling this year, he may not be racking in the possies but he's a changed man when it comes to contests, Tambling will never be the player we hoped he would be at #3, but I've no doubt (aside from a potential trade) that he will be in our best 22 for many years.

Tiger_4_Life said:
I agree, I haven't seen a massive slide in Tambling this year, he may not be racking in the possies but he's a changed man when it comes to contests, Tambling will never be the player we hoped he would be at #3, but I've no doubt (aside from a potential trade) that he will be in our best 22 for many years.
Agree

Tiger_4_Life said:
Spot on!

Barnzy said:
Well he's failing. It's all well and good to say he's putting him in a new role, teach him new lessons, bla bla but no one had a problem with Morton last year. Everyone right now would take a 40 goal a year mid-sized forward. Hardwick has made him much worse than what he was under Wallace/Rawlings.
And Jack,s kicked 48 goals at the Halfway mark of the year on the back of Harwick,s game plan.Next best is Nason i think with 12.Multiply it by 2 and you get 120 goals out of the 2 under Hardwicks plan.
Going on last year what was the combined total of both Jack and Morton? 75 odd goals?
Your right Hardwicks plan is Failing. :hihi :hihi :hihi

DirtyDogTiger said:

It's interesting that you put McGuane in there DDT as many think he has been poor this year.
I actually think Luke is still improving also.
If we find a better key defender than him great but they'll have to be pretty good to displace him.

Tiger_4_Life said:
I agree, I haven't seen a massive slide in Tambling this year, he may not be racking in the possies but he's a changed man when it comes to contests

When he gets involved his efforts at the contest have been good this year as you rightly point out.
My criticisms of him this year are that his work rate in reaching said contests hasn't been high enough. When you watch him around the ground he doesn't get involved as much as he should and has a habit of cruising or hanging off.
If that's related to his leg problems then the criticisms are probably unfair but if not it just looks plain poor.

TOT70 said:
Morton is classic, gilt-edged trade bait. His only chance for survival at Tigerland is if he can get his work-rate up and challenge for an outside midfield role. If he wants it enough, there is a spot on the wing for him as he has the skills to be very dangerous.

Newman has taken his game to another level this year. I have hardly seen him fumble, get caught out of position, be outmarked or make a poor decision witht he ball in his hands. He is an A-grade footballer now.

Connors, despite his brain fade, has come along in leaps and bounds this year. I think we currently have five A-grade players on our team, Deledio, Martin, Cotchin, Newman and Riewoldt. Connors could be the next one.

Morton will never make it in the midfield - no endurance and no speed. And no real desire to chase and tackle. Too selfish. He's a classic 3rd tall for the forward line who clealry has the talent, just needs to show he wants it.

Newman - Have to admit he has been much better after a poor start to the season, not an A-grader yet IMO but has moved from B to B+. One of the improvers for mine ;D

Reiwoldt/Connors/Edwards/Gus the other improvers.

Sliders - Tambling/Thursfield

Improvers

Connors- Gone from a lazy half forward with no more then one effort in him to a modern day back flanker in the Gram, Gilbee, Drummond role. Even bigger mover considering that he had egiht weeks off. Remarkable turnaround. Think his house mate listed below has played a huge role in the turnaround.

Jack - Elite. Shades of a young Modra with super footballing smarts. Can get huge air off two steps.

Graham- If he keeps this up I will happily eat my hat. But boy, having a big mobile marking ruckman is a tremendous advantage and changes so many things regarding list management.

Cotchin- Finally running out %80 of games. Amazing core strength and ability to take a hit and release a man. Only the great ones have that. The first taged now at Richmond.

Sliders

Morton- Lazy. Half forwards work from behind the ball forward not the other way. Hard running is not his go. Still should be finding a way to get him in the side. One of the most talented on this list. Will make it long term.

McGuane- Terrific without the ball, terrible with it and getting worse.

Nahas- Hopefully taking steps backwards to go forward but having second year blues.

Tigers of Old said:
It's interesting that you put McGuane in there DDT as many think he has been poor this year.
I actually think Luke is still improving also.
If we find a better key defender than him great but they'll have to be pretty good to displace him.

I don't think Luke has improved that much or gone backwards. He's been pretty consistent for a couple of years now. If he's looking better now it's more likely because those around him are a better quality player these days. Luke still does what he does best very very good, but he still has deficiencies in his game.

SCOOP said:
Improvers

Connors- Gone from a lazy half forward with no more then one effort in him to a modern day back flanker in the Gram, Gilbee, Drummond role. Even bigger mover considering that he had egiht weeks off. Remarkable turnaround. Think his house mate listed below has played a huge role in the turnaround.

Jack - Elite. Shades of a young Modra with super footballing smarts. Can get huge air off two steps.

Graham- If he keeps this up I will happily eat my hat. But boy, having a big mobile marking ruckman is a tremendous advantage and changes so many things regarding list management.

Cotchin- Finally running out %80 of games. Amazing core strength and ability to take a hit and release a man. Only the great ones have that. The first taged now at Richmond.

Sliders

Morton- Lazy. Half forwards work from behind the ball forward not the other way. Hard running is not his go. Still should be finding a way to get him in the side. One of the most talented on this list. Will make it long term.

McGuane- Terrific without the ball, terrible with it and getting worse.

Nahas- Hopefully taking steps backwards to go forward but having second year blues.

Excellent point on the highlighted Scoop. It doesnt get brought up on here hardly ever.
Its a perfect point on what what seperates natural & quality ball winning midfielders & the rest.

Chimp is already a genius at it. Leysy loves that stuff in a player. Strangely it so often goes unnoticed in the football world.

Baloo said:
I don't think Luke has improved that much or gone backwards. He's been pretty consistent for a couple of years now. If he's looking better now it's more likely because those around him are a better quality player these days. Luke still does what he does best very very good, but he still has deficiencies in his game.

No doubt but I think he's getting better at ironing out those deficiencies or at least recognising them.
His disposal efficiency is quite good considering his limitations. He comes unstuck occasionally under pressure(sometimes without ;)) and still makes the odd absolute howler but all players do that.
I think preconceptions play a big part in the criticisms of Luke. Dimma seems very happy with his work atm.

Leysy Days said:
Excellent point on the highlighted Scoop. It doesnt get brought up on here hardly ever.
Its a perfect point on what what seperates natural & quality ball winning midfielders & the rest.

Chimp is already a genius at it. Leysy loves that stuff in a player. Strangely it so often goes unnoticed in the football world.

I think that should be a stat of some sort. The Chimp holds on to it to the last second to give his team mate the biggest advantage (Time & Space). Keeps his arm free very well. My only knock on the Chimp at this stage is that I want more of his work done forward of centre. Was a goal kicking mid in his younger days, if he begins doing that he is unstoppable. Not sure he has a huge running capcity at this stage due to his body.

Hard to believe that he hasn't kicked a goal this year.

On Cotchin - Now he's getting tight tags without Deledio in the middle (he should play there IMO), he doesn't get time and space to use his best weapon which is his kicking skills. In his first year I remember it quite clearly. I also feel like his kicking skills have dropped off a fair bit, don't see the pin point passes inside F50 but they could just be a by product of the tight tag and constantly under pressure.

Another true point on his goalkicking Scoop. Combination of lack of fitness, playing in generally poor teams so doesnt feel he can run forward of the ball & playing inside a lot more ILO.

On the stat side, heaps of stuff in our game doesnt get picked up by statistics. What the Cotch does to release his teammates will never show up. Genius stuff. Thats why they only take up a small part of how you can rate players ILHO.