Mitchell's hairpulling | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Mitchell's hairpulling

Worth more than a $900 fine, it was premeditated and wasn't provoked either

Lets see, Behind the play, High contact, Medium impact
How many weeks is that?

Interesting that the only regular Hawks supporter on this forum to comment is Spanish Prisoner, however they're all over the Campbell Brown thread

brigadiertiger said:
So tell us how you feel about your man Mitchell pulling hair?

My point was that you can't be that angry towards another human being, and claim to be normal.

All jokes aside, this is a footy forum. It is sport. It is not war, or crime. To spit on another human being is an appalling reaction. I feel sorry for that creep....

Spanish Prisoner said:
My point was that you can't be that angry towards another human being, and claim to be normal.

All jokes aside, this is a footy forum. It is sport. It is not war, or crime. To spit on another human being is an appalling reaction. I feel sorry for that creep....

But hair pulling is ok?

All the male reactions on the Ch9 late night footy show the other night were childish (giggling etc), I know a few 9 year olds that thought it was funny too, they probably now think it is OK to pull hair. ::)

So much for trying to keep the game sanitized... :p

Not really amusing IMO.

Col.W.Kurtz said:
But hair pulling is ok?

No I'm not saying that. And I am not defending Mitchell either. This was an issue between two grown men on the football field, and they should be left to sort it out whithout the computer bound vigilanties trying to do it for them.

But hair pulling and spitting are not even close to comparable. When I was a kid it was common place for my parents to pull my hair if I was naughty - but they never spat on me. I used to pull my dad's hair as a joke when he would fall asleep watching TV - but I didn'y spit on him. My brother and I would do it when fighting - but we never ever spat on eachother.

Spitting on someone is act of a scumbag. Can 100% say it is a million times worse than hair pulling.

The part I find odd is he isn't up for suspension.

Tripping can cause suspension

Jumper punches (which effectively don't land) can cause suspension

Any impact with the head causes long suspension

Pulling hair does not?

You recon players won't start to see this as a viable alternative now?

If you want to rough up your opponent chose one of the following:

a) Stand chest to chest with them and bump them abit, above the knees but below the shoulders and don't use your hands.

or

b) Reach straight for their head, grab and rip left to right as hard as you wish.

Spanish Prisoner said:
No I'm not saying that. And I am not defending Mitchell either. This was an issue between two grown men on the football field, and they should be left to sort it out whithout the computer bound vigilanties trying to do it for them.

But hair pulling and spitting are not even close to comparable. When I was a kid it was common place for my parents to pull my hair if I was naughty - but they never spat on me. I used to pull my dad's hair as a joke when he would fall asleep watching TV - but I didn'y spit on him. My brother and I would do it when fighting - but we never ever spat on eachother.

Spitting on someone is act of a scumbag. Can 100% say it is a million times worse than hair pulling.

Your captain Mitchell has turned out to be a sissy who the :police: goes around pulling another guys hair?

Spanish Prisoner said:

I don’t particularly like either act, but given one was a threat by an anonymous dude on a website that will be never back up and one was an actual act in front of thousands of people by the Capitan of a football club I’m not sure I agree with your assessment of the relative impact.

Imagine this scenario.
Mitchell pulls hair - $900 fine.
Nayson - to get him to release his hair - whacks him with a solid right hook and nearly knocks him out (I wish!)
Nayson gets 2 weeks.

This unfair - but realistic - scenario is why the $900 is way too lenient.

Spanish Prisoner said:

Getting your hair pulled by your parents, brothers pulling each others hair. You must be related to sam mitchell!
Like b!tches in a cat-fight. Bloody unmanly.
You would have got a strong uppercut if you tried that from where I come from.

*spelling*

Ghost of Punt Road said:
The part I find odd is he isn't up for suspension.

Tripping can cause suspension

Jumper punches (which effectively don't land) can cause suspension

Any impact with the head causes long suspension

Pulling hair does not?

You recon players won't start to see this as a viable alternative now?

If you want to rough up your opponent chose one of the following:

a) Stand chest to chest with them and bump them abit, above the knees but below the shoulders and don't use your hands.

or

b) Reach straight for their head, grab and rip left to right as hard as you wish.

Richmond should fire of a "Please explain" to the AFL and Umpires immediately.

In a wresting incident if a player grabs another by the throat or head then it is a free kick. Why is it allowed that a player can grab another by the hair?
If hair pulling is sanctioned by the tribunal as worse than throat grabbing, why is it not a free?
Mitchell has been penalised a days wages. If he had lost the game by such punk actions causing a free kick and subsequent goal then his entire club would make his life very unpleasant.
The interesting thing is that IIRC Chance Bateman got some frees for the pulling of his dreads some years ago. Different rules for different clubs by the AFL.

Time for the AFL Umpires Dept to come out and say that such actions warrant a free kick and it will be paid, including to O'Brien against Ballantyne.

Where was Andy Goodwin, Greg Stafford and Brett Evans?
How noone went to help and knock mitchells block off is the most disappointing thing

zippadeee said:
Where was Andy Goodwin, Greg Stafford and Brett Evans?
How noone went to help and knock mitchells block off is the most disappointing thing

you criticise jackson for a stupid act for touching brown with his head as brown gets in his face as he runs off the field concussed, an act that did us no harm on the day, yet you complain noone went and knocked mitchells head off?

rosy23 said:
I've got nothing against Ben's hair style but it could make him a bit of a target imo.
Definately makes him a target. I consider hair pulling to be a low act but if it ain't there it can't happen.

I recognise the antiquated thinking but if you run around on a footy pitch with a long-hair-look-at-me pill, in confrontation people are likely to give it tug or try knocking it off.

For a professional footballer I would presume having hair like that can only interefere with your vision/footy anyway.

I'll give him two seasons before he Chance Bateman's it.

Elmer said:
Definately makes him a target. I consider hair pulling to be a low act but if it ain't there it can't happen.

I recognise the antiquated thinking but if you run around on a footy pitch with a long-hair-look-at-me pill, in confrontation people are likely to give it tug or try knocking it off.

For a professional footballer I would presume having hair like that can only interefere with your vision/footy anyway.

I'll give him two seasons before he Chance Bateman's it.

Bateman has been a dud ever since he cut his dreads off. Maybe it's a sign.

Spanish Prisoner said:

a million times worse? ("I've never overstated anything in the history of the universe!" - Corner Gas)

context is everything.

regarding your 'subhuman' act of spitting

History of spitting in Western Europe
Social attitudes towards spitting have changed greatly in Western Europe since the Middle Ages. Then, frequent spitting was part of everyday life, and at all levels of society it was thought ill-mannered to suck back saliva to avoid spitting. By the early 1700s, spitting had become seen as something which should be concealed, and by 1859 many viewed the spitting on the floor or street as vulgar, especially in mixed company. Spittoons were used openly during the nineteenth century to provide an acceptable outlet for spitters. Spittoons became far less common after the influenza epidemic of 1918, and their use has since virtually disappeared, though each justice of the Supreme Court of the United States continues to be provided with a personal cuspidor

in China it is considered more acceptable than current western culture.

hair pulling
(from Blueseum)
Memories
The single image in my mind of Tommy Alvin takes place in 1986 in a game against the Swans at the S.C.G. Tommy is running the lines (as was he wont) when a Swans player, Tony Morwood, grabbed hold of Tommy's long locks and pulled as hard as he could. Tommy's head flew back and the force of the pull dragged Tommy to the ground.

I remember this tackle...could have been pretty bad if the back of his head hit the ground while his hands were out in front of him.

I don't like spitting, but I reckon you could get more badly injured with hair pulling than getting a bit of spit on you (and if a player has a cold, his spittle has already been sprayed all over the place in the course of the game - no one ever says throwing a mouthguard in anger is the act of a scumbag)

willo said:
Getting your hair pulled by your parents, brothers pulling each others hair. You must be related to sam mitchell!
Like b!tches in a cat-fight. Bloody unmanly.
You would have got a strong uppercut if you tried that from where I come from.

*spelling*

Must admit was not surprised to hear the prisoner was subjected to a childhood of hair pulling (and that it appears it was only the men in the family that indulged). Some serious childhood issues have to be behind his posting

Big Cat Lover said:
Must admit was not surprised to hear the prisoner was subjected to a childhood of hair pulling (and that it appears it was only the men in the family that indulged). Some serious childhood issues have to be behind his posting

Comic genius! Stop, please, that is simply too funny....