Matthew Clarke | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Matthew Clarke

Bloody irrelevant whether a player is likeable or an *smile*. But for a small forward at 25 y.o. to play 110 games n kick 137 goals after a couple of brain surgeries while playing for a bog average side most of those games is a fair way above dud.
There's probably a reason why they're a bog average side. He's half-decent but defines why his side can never elevate.

Reactions: 1 users
Bloody irrelevant whether a player is likeable or an *smile*. But for a small forward at 25 y.o. to play 110 games n kick 137 goals after a couple of brain surgeries while playing for a bog average side most of those games is a fair way above dud.
Not relevant to me as we were compensated for him. I didn’t say likeable, but meant being a team player as I find his game is a selfish one. Has he actually helped the Saints as I think he’s more of a liability to them because of his selfishness.

Not relevant to me as we were compensated for him. I didn’t say likeable, but meant being a team player as I find his game is a selfish one. Has he actually helped the Saints as I think he’s more of a liability to them because of his selfishness.
Perhaps being a small forward,his role is to be a bit selfish n scrounge some ground ball goals when the big forwards fail to take the mark. Could be that in a decent side he levels up to Wombat Stengle level at the Moggies, who knows.

Gotta bloody laugh when all the knowledgeable Xspurts fire up about certain players being spuds n duds etc. There's page after page of bleating about Nigel not kicking goals for us n how he should have been pissed off out the door instead of given another contract. But in the same breath a Higlet is bagged out as a dud for being a selfish non team player for kicking goals for his side.

Perhaps being a small forward,his role is to be a bit selfish n scrounge some ground ball goals when the big forwards fail to take the mark. Could be that in a decent side he levels up to Wombat Stengle level at the Moggies, who knows.

Gotta bloody laugh when all the knowledgeable Xspurts fire up about certain players being spuds n duds etc. There's page after page of bleating about Nigel not kicking goals for us n how he should have been pissed off out the door instead of given another contract. But in the same breath a Higlet is bagged out as a dud for being a selfish non team player for kicking goals for his side.
Stop taking football too seriously and enjoy the fruits it offers. It’s great people have varying opinions otherwise we would all be bored. Thanks for your opinion as we needed your knowledgeable expertise on such a trivial matter.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 1 user
There's probably a reason why they're a bog average side. He's half-decent but defines why his side can never elevate.
In his 1st year in the AFL, Higgins was a regular in one of the more dominant teams in recent years.
If it werent for teammates illness he would be a premiership player, and if it werent for his brain imploding he would be a multi premiership player.

Reactions: 2 users
In his 1st year in the AFL, Higgins was a regular in one of the more dominant teams in recent years.
If it werent for teammates illness he would be a premiership player, and if it werent for his brain imploding he would be a multi premiership player.
Agree. By all objective measures, Higgins was a good pick.

Reactions: 2 users
Higgins was a terrible pick. Sackable offence.

(Have we sacked Matt Clarke yet?)
How is picking a kid at no17 in the draft who walks straight into the best team in the league and plays pretty much every game he was available for until his brain blew up a terrible pick?

He was in the top 10 for pretty much any stat amongst rising star- 6th in goals, 2nd in score involvements, 1st in goal assists, 5th in disposals, 8th in clearances, 8th in centre clearances, 2nd in tackles I50.
He continued on in this form until it dropped a bit in the lead up to his surgery midway through 2019.

on any objective measure he was a great pick. subjectively he is unliked.

Reactions: 1 users
How is picking a kid at no17 in the draft who walks straight into the best team in the league and plays pretty much every game he was available for until his brain blew up a terrible pick?

He was in the top 10 for pretty much any stat amongst rising star- 6th in goals, 2nd in score involvements, 1st in goal assists, 5th in disposals, 8th in clearances, 8th in centre clearances, 2nd in tackles I50.
He continued on in this form until it dropped a bit in the lead up to his surgery midway through 2019.

on any objective measure he was a great pick. subjectively he is unliked.
I've explained before why it was a horrible pick.

Reactions: 1 user