Matthew Clarke | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Matthew Clarke

Gee you form views very quickly…I remember quite a few that sit around me at the G saying Rance and Ashbury were duds in the first 20 to 30 games…

Reactions: 1 user
We were going to pick Durham in the MSD but Essendon beat us to it. To suggest he should have waited until the end of the year is laughable.
so Essendon picked him at #8 and our pick was 9.
How does Durham politely decline the tulla tragics and ask to wait until Richmond are ready?
Did he want to? Or did he just want to play AFL like most players.
We didnt pick him the year before cos he wasn't with us. We didn't pick him in 21 because he was already drafted.
Lets face it we were pipped at the post.
The idea the club stuffed up or let him go is incorrect

Reactions: 3 users
We missed Soligo.
We missed Warner.
We missed Parker.

We did draft Graham. Ross. McAuliffe.
Mids in the middle of the draft is a good percentage play.
Lets hope we tweak the criteria and keep having a shot at mid table mids

Durham, we get a pass on, he was in the VFL, a good mature pick. Essendon should get more credit than we get demerits. And there are more Durhams out there, look at Joe Richards and Lachie Sullivan. Sullivan is Durham but three years more exposure of carving up the VFL.

Solgio, as normal Brodders, you defend the club, and good on you. But I'm not sure how you can when we watched and picked Sonsie who played in the same team as Solgio. Clear line of sight. We watched him and deemed Banks, Brown, Sonsie and Clarke as better prospects. That's hard to fathom. Adelaide have stated that they were convinced Richmond would take Soligo with one of it's picks. The Crows identified that we needed that type but we didn't. It's a miss. There's misses that you get a pass on (no one thinks we should have taken Chad Warner in the COVID draft, that's just a good pick) and there are misses that you need to objectively look at and go, 'How?" This is one of them. We got it wrong. Our rankings were off.
What is Soligo's kicking like?
We know that we pivoted following the stand rule to prioritise foot skills.
Maybe we swung too far (almost def) and underscored competitiveness.
But we desperately needed foot skills and run.
McA indicates we may have corrected the rankings.

I just quoted a list that everybody else was referring to. You could do this for 17 other clubs and talk about all their hits and misses so that means zero. I'M clearly looking at who he picked and whether they were passes or fails. Higgins gave us a successful pick and i rate him as a dud. You can rate him however you wish.

How can you rate Higgins as a dud? Stats are good, hes a critical player for his club and has a better career than 90% of ND draftees ever do.

You might not like him but he's not a "dud".

Reactions: 2 users
Name one player who hasnt nominated for the MSD and instead waited 6 months to be picked up by their preferred club?

You are trying to pot Richmond's recruiting because they didnt do something they couldnt have done!- and that is draft Durham after he played VFL for us.

Yeah. No serious player would do that - a guaranteed slot at AFL level for at least 12 months vs a promise to pick you IF you don't have a career threatening injury or a bad loss of form?

No brainer.

Credit to Adelaide though, they drafted a kid earlier than expected, and look to have got it right.

He didn't go earlier than expected. If anything later than thought.

Twomey is the most accurate of the phantoms and had him going at 30 (to us).

Anyway you cut it (without bias), it was poor drafting by us considering our picks in 21' and needs.

Hopefully Blair and Co have reviewed why they missed him from under our nose.

Reactions: 5 users
Gee some people on here have selective memories, when I first said I liked Durham I was laughed at, even suggested I was his father and that "he will never play an AFL game."

• Sad
Reactions: 2 users
How can you rate Higgins as a dud? Stats are good, hes a critical player for his club and has a better career than 90% of ND draftees ever do.

You might not like him but he's not a "dud".
i see him as a dud as he's not a team player in honesty. Just not my cup of tea of a footballer. We all see things differently and Higgins has a low threshold of importance to a team to me . So in a team oriented sport he's dud to me.

He didn't go earlier than expected. If anything later than thought.

Twomey is the most accurate of the phantoms and had him going at 30 (to us).

Anyway you cut it (without bias), it was poor drafting by us considering our picks in 21' and needs.

Hopefully Blair and Co have reviewed why they missed him from under our nose.
The extensive research i did showed him expected to go 40 or later.
Anyway, IMO the jury is still out on many of the 2021 picks, so the draft is still hard to review.

Gee some people on here have selective memories, when I first said I liked Durham I was laughed at, even suggested I was his father and that "he will never play an AFL game."
Yeah but that was King Wrong so I wouldn’t be putting much credence on what he says.

The extensive research i did showed him expected to go 40 or later.
Anyway, IMO the jury is still out on many of the 2021 picks, so the draft is still hard to review.
How long do you give the class of ‘21? Two and a half years in, zero rising star nominations, none in the best 22 under 22. Only Gibcus is close to our best 22. Heck, collectively they’ve only had 3 games of 20 disposals or more!

If you’d said on draft night this would be the result two and half years in from five picks inside the first 30, we’d have called it an unmitigated disaster.

• Wow
Reactions: 3 users
Higgins gave us a successful pick and i rate him as a dud. You can rate him however you wish.
Bloody irrelevant whether a player is likeable or an *smile*. But for a small forward at 25 y.o. to play 110 games n kick 137 goals after a couple of brain surgeries while playing for a bog average side most of those games is a fair way above dud.